Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital camcorder recommendations please? Under $400-450

Digital camcorder recommendations please? Under $400-450

kristen

Hi, my fiance and I want to buy a digital camcorder. I'm not sure what
to look for and I would like some input/advice. This will be our first
camcorder and we probably wont use it THAT much, so we dont want to
spend too much money. He has a $250 gift certificate to Circuit City,
so we want to buy it there. Is MiniDV format the way to go?

I've seen a few camcorders on the CC website. Right now I am looking
at a Panasonic PV-DV53, and Panasonic PV-DV103. It looks like the only
difference between these is that the PV-DV103 takes still photos. I
already have a nice Canon G3 digital camera so do I really need the
ability to take still photos with the camcorder?

Is Panasonic good for camcorders? The other ones online that we might
be able to swing for are a Samsung SCD27 or a JVC GRD70. Is 10x
Optical Zoom enough or will I be wishing I had the 16x?

Thanks for any info!!!!

Kristen

MR

This is kinda OT for this group, but I don't think there is a camcorder NG. I have been looking at them also for
several months. There is a forum here that you can get some info: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/d/Digital%20Video.htm
Like you, I don't want to spend a lot since my use would be just casual and the way to go is definately mini dv. The
Sony's are good, but to pricey for me. I looked at the Canon ZR's which are a nifty looking camcorder, but the ccd is
to small(1/16") and a lot of reviews complain about the low light shooting is not good as in a room. I am now looking
at the Sharp VL-Z3U which has a ccd of (1/4") which should give decent low light shooting and is a very small unit.
Sharp has a VL-Z1U, VL-Z3U, VL-Z5U, VL-Z7U which have more or less bells and whistles. You can get the VL-Z3U now for
$345 now from buydig.com delivered. Walmart has the VL-Z1U, but they want $399. You can at least handle it there
though. I haven't looked at Panasonic since I am looking for a real small unit that my wife can handle all day.
Good luck on your search.
MR

"kristen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi, my fiance and I want to buy a digital camcorder. I'm not sure what
> to look for and I would like some input/advice. This will be our first
> camcorder and we probably wont use it THAT much, so we dont want to
> spend too much money. He has a $250 gift certificate to Circuit City,
> so we want to buy it there. Is MiniDV format the way to go?
>
> I've seen a few camcorders on the CC website. Right now I am looking
> at a Panasonic PV-DV53, and Panasonic PV-DV103. It looks like the only
> difference between these is that the PV-DV103 takes still photos. I
> already have a nice Canon G3 digital camera so do I really need the
> ability to take still photos with the camcorder?
>
> Is Panasonic good for camcorders? The other ones online that we might
> be able to swing for are a Samsung SCD27 or a JVC GRD70. Is 10x
> Optical Zoom enough or will I be wishing I had the 16x?
>
> Thanks for any info!!!!
>
> Kristen

Frank ess

"kristen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
| Hi, my fiance and I want to buy a digital camcorder. I'm not sure
what
| to look for and I would like some input/advice. This will be our
first
| camcorder and we probably wont use it THAT much, so we dont want to
| spend too much money. He has a $250 gift certificate to Circuit City,
| so we want to buy it there. Is MiniDV format the way to go?
|
| I've seen a few camcorders on the CC website. Right now I am looking
| at a Panasonic PV-DV53, and Panasonic PV-DV103. It looks like the
only
| difference between these is that the PV-DV103 takes still photos. I
| already have a nice Canon G3 digital camera so do I really need the
| ability to take still photos with the camcorder?
|
| Is Panasonic good for camcorders? The other ones online that we might
| be able to swing for are a Samsung SCD27 or a JVC GRD70. Is 10x
| Optical Zoom enough or will I be wishing I had the 16x?
|
| Thanks for any info!!!!
|
| Kristen

I'll bet there is a bunch of help at
rec.desktop.video.