Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Taking pictures in the dark

Re: Taking pictures in the dark

Rafe B.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:48:17 +0200, Luuk Houwen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am looking for some tips for taking pictures in very low light
>situations. More specifically wooden carvings in very badly lit churches
>under circumstances that I can only position the camera some 80 cm (c. 25
>in) away from the object (not further).
>I have tried this using my Fuji S602Z with the in-built flash enabled. The
>results are not bad but show too much reflected light to my taste. I was
>also a little disappointed by the lack of depth. Should I enable macro
>mode? Any other suggestions about camera settings would also be greatly
>appreciated.

The problem is not the camera but your flash technique.

Use a diffuser for the flash, or a reflector.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Luuk Houwen

> The problem is not the camera but your flash technique.
>
> Use a diffuser for the flash, or a reflector.
>

> rafe b.
> http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Sounds sensible. Sorry for my ignorance but what precisely is a diffuser
and can I get one for my built in flash (Fuji S602) or should I go for an
external unit. Do diffusers come in different types and if so should I be
looking for a particular type?

--
Luuk Houwen
Hattingen

*Remove NO-JNK from email adress before replying directly*