Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Are current prosumer digital cameras squant-enabled?

Are current prosumer digital cameras squant-enabled?

Browntimdc

Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns93BFAE1E7592Brolandkarlssonchello@130.133. 1.4:

> Andrew Hardisty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:3F1BE625.9090007 @durham.ac.uk:
>
>> Sony are doing something similar with their CCDs
>> http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#sony4color
>>

> Yepp - it ws Sony - not Nikon. Nikon's sensor was this
> CMOS lookalike (LBCAST) thingie.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03...ikonsensor.asp
>
> BTW - the Maniac ought to understand that Emerald is
> just a name. He also ought to understand that all sensors
> in a sensor array do not need to be prime colors. Moreover,
> the emerald thingie might be cyan, which is a complementary
> prime color.
>

> Roland

Sounds similar to Fuji Reala film fourth layer.

Mxsmanic

Browntimdc writes:

> Doesn't the Fuji New New Reala film have a
> fifth layer for squant?

Reala 1000G has a fifth dimension.

Mark B.

"Unclaimed Mysteries" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfg4sl$k6j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand Nikon's new
> chip is capable of detecting squant, but it is not used in their
> system. Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary color just for the
> sake of backward co-compatibility. With film I used to get such rich,
> vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.

cheesy film?

daytripper

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:35:11 -0400, "Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Unclaimed Mysteries" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bfg4sl$k6j$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand Nikon's new
>> chip is capable of detecting squant, but it is not used in their
>> system. Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary color just for the
>> sake of backward co-compatibility. With film I used to get such rich,
>> vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.

>cheesy film?

lmao!

Frank ess

"daytripper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:35:11 -0400, "Mark B."
<(E-Mail Removed)>
| wrote:
|

| >"Unclaimed Mysteries" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| >news:bfg4sl$k6j$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >> Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand
Nikon's new
| >> chip is capable of detecting squant, but it is not used in their
| >> system. Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary color just
for the
| >> sake of backward co-compatibility. With film I used to get such
rich,
| >> vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.
| >
| >cheesy film?
|
| lmao!

Ekshly, a film-like, celluloid-like photography product.

John Navas

In <(E-Mail Removed)> on Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:32:40
+0200, Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Roland Karlsson writes:
>
>> But the new Nikon chip detects R, G, B and
>> emerald. The emerald being in between green
>> and blue. It might be cyan, but it might also be
>> something narrower.

>There's no such primary as "emerald." You're falling prey to marketing
>hype.

Better than falling prey to troll.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Prime

Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Unclaimed Mysteries writes:
>
>> Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam.
>> I understand Nikon's new chip is capable of
>> detecting squant, but it is not used in their
>> system.

> Kodak's new DCS 14n is rumored capable of recording it; that's why it
> has a bit more trouble with the other three primaries. However, you
> would need SEEUDDs (Squant-Enabled End-User Display Devices) to see the
> difference, and most such devices are classified.
>
>> Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary
>> color just for the sake of backward co-compatibility.
>> With film I used to get such rich, vibrant squants
>> using Fuji Velvita.

> Squant was the first color successfully captured by film, in fact.

Even
> Tri-X records squant, although it requires special development to show
> this on the final negative.
>
> There is a lot of interest in squant-sensitive capture in the military,
> and rumor has it that squant-enabled imaging systems are already
> deployed on secret military satellites. One of their key advantages is
> that they allow imaging of weapons of mass destruction, most of which
> are almost monochromatically squant in color, reflecting no other

light.
> Normal imaging systems thus do not see them. Both the USA and the UK
> are said to have deployed such systems, but the technology is still so
> highly classified that it hasn't been shared with their allies.
>
> Because of the sensitivity of squant-sensitive imaging from a security
> standpoint, I would not hold my breath about seeing it become widely
> available in consumer and ordinary pro gear any time soon. The DCS 14n
> documentation doesn't even mention it, and I think any sensitivity it
> shows was just something that slipped through the cracks, not an
> intention design feature (or perhaps it is partially developed from
> military technology).

After doing some infrared, I became interested in squant photography with
the standard prosumer cameras. I found a classified source (a friend who
works with the DOD) who provided me with some celluloid squant filter
material. I fashioned an adaptor to my Oly C-3000, and did a test by
using the remote control for my television. It's true! Not only does the
remote give out squant in significant amounts, my Oly has some
sensitivity to squant. I then did some photography using a tripod and
some long exposures - I needed about 6 EV more exposure than normal with
the filter attached. The resulting squant photos are quite interesting.
One of the challenges in allowing this to be released to the public is
that most normal textiles are transparent to squant. My trip to the beach
proved that!

I suspect that clothing manufacturers will have to work on squant-opaque
coatings for most normal fabrics. In the meantime... well, let's just say
that I'm going to be vacationing in the tropics over the next few
weeks...

Prime