Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Are current prosumer digital cameras squant-enabled?

Are current prosumer digital cameras squant-enabled?

Unclaimed Mysteries

Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand Nikon's new
chip is capable of detecting squant, but it is not used in their
system. Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary color just for the
sake of backward co-compatibility. With film I used to get such rich,
vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.

For more info please see
http://www.negativland.com/squant/index.html

Corry
http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

Ross Allan

"Unclaimed Mysteries" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfg4sl$k6j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand Nikon's new
> chip is capable of detecting squant, but it is not used in their
> system. Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary color just for the
> sake of backward co-compatibility. With film I used to get such rich,
> vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.
>
> For more info please see
> http://www.negativland.com/squant/index.html
>
> Corry

*sigh*

--

rda

Roland Karlsson

Unclaimed Mysteries <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bfg4sl$k6j$1
@slb4.atl.mindspring.net:

> Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand Nikon's new
> chip is capable of detecting squant,

Nice try

But the new Nikon chip detects R, G, B and emerald. The emerald being
in between green and blue. It might be cyan, but it might also be
something narrower.

Roland

Unclaimed Mysteries

Ross Allan wrote:

> "Unclaimed Mysteries" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bfg4sl$k6j$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Looking for a mid-range squant-capable digicam. I understand Nikon's new
>> chip is capable of detecting squant, but it is not used in their
>>system. Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary color just for the
>>sake of backward co-compatibility. With film I used to get such rich,
>>vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.
>>
>>For more info please see
>>http://www.negativland.com/squant/index.html
>>
>>Corry

> *sigh*

Yes, yes, I know. I failed to perform research to determine if the
TOTALLY DIGITAL D666 was squant-enabled. It isn't. It does, however,
detect N-Rays when dark.

Sorry for the oversight.

Corry

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

Mxsmanic

Roland Karlsson writes:

> But the new Nikon chip detects R, G, B and
> emerald. The emerald being in between green
> and blue. It might be cyan, but it might also be
> something narrower.

There's no such primary as "emerald." You're falling prey to marketing
hype.

Andrew Hardisty

Sony are doing something similar with their CCDs
http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#sony4color

Mxsmanic wrote:
> Roland Karlsson writes:
>

>>But the new Nikon chip detects R, G, B and
>>emerald. The emerald being in between green
>>and blue. It might be cyan, but it might also be
>>something narrower.

> There's no such primary as "emerald." You're falling prey to marketing
> hype.

Mxsmanic

Andrew Hardisty writes:

> Sony are doing something similar with their CCDs
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#sony4color

Looks like they are adding cyan pixels. That's hardly new technology.
Some video cameras have been using the subtractive primaries since
forever, practically. It provides better luminance resolution and can
improve color detail resolution, but it reduces color fidelity.

Roland Karlsson

Andrew Hardisty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3F1BE625.9090007
@durham.ac.uk:

> Sony are doing something similar with their CCDs
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#sony4color

Yepp - it ws Sony - not Nikon. Nikon's sensor was this
CMOS lookalike (LBCAST) thingie.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03...ikonsensor.asp

BTW - the Maniac ought to understand that Emerald is
just a name. He also ought to understand that all sensors
in a sensor array do not need to be prime colors. Moreover,
the emerald thingie might be cyan, which is a complementary
prime color.

Roland

Phil Stripling

Unclaimed Mysteries <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> With film I used to get such rich,
> vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.

The problem with digital cameras is that they put the squants between
upbeat songs and dead dogs. The squant properly belongs between the letter
U and the numeral 2. You just can't have squants next to Snuffles. And
digital imagery farces that on you.

You still can get rich, vibrant sqants with Velvita. You probably are
setting the film speed to 40, instead of 50. That little kick of
underexposure locks you right into to squants.

Hope this is of some help.

Mxsmanic

Phil Stripling writes:

> You still can get rich, vibrant sqants with Velvita.

Less filling and tastes great, too!