Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Buy an image storage device, or buy extra compact flash cards?

Buy an image storage device, or buy extra compact flash cards?

sm9

Hi there,

I own a Canon PowerShot G5 and I'm going to be going on holiday in 3 weeks
time. I already have a 32mb and 512mb Compact Flash cards (type 1), but I
would need to buy a few more 512mb cards to last me through my holidays.
Rather than do this, I've heard that you can buy image storage devices that
can store images directly from a compact flash card, i.e., without the need
for a PC.

Does anyone have any experiences of using such devices, and if so, do you
have any recommendations or advice? I currently have two options: buy two or
three 512mb compact flash cards, or buy an image storage device. I figure
that each of these options would cost the same amount of money, but the
cheaper the better of course! )

I hope someone can guide me into making the right purchase!

Thanks,

Stephen

max

> I own a Canon PowerShot G5 and I'm going to be going on holiday in 3 weeks
> time. I already have a 32mb and 512mb Compact Flash cards (type 1), but I
> would need to buy a few more 512mb cards to last me through my holidays.
> Rather than do this, I've heard that you can buy image storage devices that
> can store images directly from a compact flash card, i.e., without the need
> for a PC.
>
> Does anyone have any experiences of using such devices, and if so, do you
> have any recommendations or advice? I currently have two options: buy two or
> three 512mb compact flash cards, or buy an image storage device. I figure
> that each of these options would cost the same amount of money, but the
> cheaper the better of course! )
>
> I hope someone can guide me into making the right purchase!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

Hi Stephen,
My sugestion is not the cheapest solution. I think you should
get yourself a 1GB Flashcard or Microdrive wichever is on
offer at the best price at the moment, I use both and the
difference on a dslr is negliable, the Microdrives are reported
to use more power, I have'nt noticed this. It is not an issue on
the G5, where battery life is amazing.

Some people are uneasy about the Microdrive, mostly those
that have'nt used them, people say pros don't use them, well
I gave a friend of mine one, and he loved it enough to use it on
an importaint assaignment in Africa, no problems what so ever.
If you still prefer Flashcard, buy a 1GB, if you shoot best quality
jpg or RAW it will fill up faster than you think.

An X-Drive II device, is a good idear if you don't have access to
transfer your pictures along the way, internet cafe's and some
photo shops provide this service..
-max.

Ron Hunter

sm9 wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I own a Canon PowerShot G5 and I'm going to be going on holiday in 3 weeks
> time. I already have a 32mb and 512mb Compact Flash cards (type 1), but I
> would need to buy a few more 512mb cards to last me through my holidays.
> Rather than do this, I've heard that you can buy image storage devices that
> can store images directly from a compact flash card, i.e., without the need
> for a PC.
>
> Does anyone have any experiences of using such devices, and if so, do you
> have any recommendations or advice? I currently have two options: buy two or
> three 512mb compact flash cards, or buy an image storage device. I figure
> that each of these options would cost the same amount of money, but the
> cheaper the better of course! )
>
> I hope someone can guide me into making the right purchase!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

Radio Shack advertises a 20GB device with built-in card reader for under
$200. You will find that hard to beat.

wingnut

I bought the radio shack unit earlier this month. It's the I/O Magic
Digital Photo Library. It was $150 after rebate for 20 GB storage. Not a
lot of bells and whistles, but it's a third of the price of other units out
there. Has been working flawlessly for me. It takes a standard sized drive
so you could even upgrade to larger capacity if you needed it at some point
by buying and installing a new larger drive.

Ed

"sm9 " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bffh3f$ee5dg$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi there,
>
> I own a Canon PowerShot G5 and I'm going to be going on holiday in 3 weeks
> time. I already have a 32mb and 512mb Compact Flash cards (type 1), but I
> would need to buy a few more 512mb cards to last me through my holidays.
> Rather than do this, I've heard that you can buy image storage devices

that
> can store images directly from a compact flash card, i.e., without the

need
> for a PC.
>
> Does anyone have any experiences of using such devices, and if so, do you
> have any recommendations or advice? I currently have two options: buy two

or
> three 512mb compact flash cards, or buy an image storage device. I figure
> that each of these options would cost the same amount of money, but the
> cheaper the better of course! )
>
> I hope someone can guide me into making the right purchase!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

sm9

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply Ron. I looked at the Radio Shack website and that
product is even cheaper now as I think it's in a sale! ;o) It's on my list
to choose from anyway! I'll make a decision soon.

Thanks,

Stephen

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lFSSa.61526$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com ...
<snip my original post>

| Radio Shack advertises a 20GB device with built-in card reader for under
| $200. You will find that hard to beat.

sm9

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your reply. I've taken a look at what you suggest and it's
another item on my list to choose from! I'm finding it hard to make a
decision on what to buy, but it's down to me now! I hope I make the right
choice!

Thanks again,

Stephen

"wingnut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5PYSa.65544$(E-Mail Removed)...
| I bought the radio shack unit earlier this month. It's the I/O Magic
| Digital Photo Library. It was $150 after rebate for 20 GB storage. Not a
| lot of bells and whistles, but it's a third of the price of other units
out
| there. Has been working flawlessly for me. It takes a standard sized
drive
| so you could even upgrade to larger capacity if you needed it at some
point
| by buying and installing a new larger drive.
|
| Ed

<snip my original post>