Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need Photo resizing software

Need Photo resizing software

Dan

Hello all, I am currently looking for a software that will take my
digital pictures, mostly large file size (around 500k each) and resize
them to a smaller size for a family web-site. I have photoshop but I
would have to do this one at a time and I would much rather be able to
re-size a folder at a time.

I currently have software (HP) that came with my digital carera. It
will resize pictures to send in an email, but I do not believe I can
resize to a new folder.

If there is a software that someone knows of that I can download, I
would appreciate it. Of course free is better.

Thanks,
-Dan

Andre

On 19 Jul 2003 20:10:43 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dan) wrote:

>Hello all, I am currently looking for a software that will take my
>digital pictures, mostly large file size (around 500k each) and resize
>them to a smaller size for a family web-site. I have photoshop but I
>would have to do this one at a time and I would much rather be able to
>re-size a folder at a time.
>
>I currently have software (HP) that came with my digital carera. It
>will resize pictures to send in an email, but I do not believe I can
>resize to a new folder.
>
>If there is a software that someone knows of that I can download, I
>would appreciate it. Of course free is better.
>
>Thanks,
>-Dan

If you have Windows XP, you can download a Powertoy from Microsoft
that will let you do this with a right-click.

Robertwgross

Irfanview will do the re-sizing in batches.

---Bob Gross---

Jim Townsend

Dan wrote:

> Hello all, I am currently looking for a software that will take my
> digital pictures, mostly large file size (around 500k each) and resize
> them to a smaller size for a family web-site. I have photoshop but I
> would have to do this one at a time and I would much rather be able to
> re-size a folder at a time.
>
> I currently have software (HP) that came with my digital carera. It
> will resize pictures to send in an email, but I do not believe I can
> resize to a new folder.
>
> If there is a software that someone knows of that I can download, I
> would appreciate it. Of course free is better.

Irfanview will do what you want, and.. it's free

http://www.irfanview.com/

Tony Cooper

On 19 Jul 2003 20:10:43 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Dan) wrote:

>Hello all, I am currently looking for a software that will take my
>digital pictures, mostly large file size (around 500k each) and resize
>them to a smaller size for a family web-site. I have photoshop but I
>would have to do this one at a time and I would much rather be able to
>re-size a folder at a time.
>
>I currently have software (HP) that came with my digital carera. It
>will resize pictures to send in an email, but I do not believe I can
>resize to a new folder.
>
>If there is a software that someone knows of that I can download, I
>would appreciate it. Of course free is better.

The problem with batch resizing is that most pictures should be
cropped before resizing. If you open them to crop, you might as well
resize individually. However:

IrFanView File>Batch Conversion/Rename>check Use Advanced
Options>check Resize>Set Size

IrFanView is a free download.

Also, PhotoShop has File>Automate>Batch>Set: Command>Action: Image
Size. I'm lost after that since I've never done it in PS. The means
is there, though.

Tony Cooper aka: (E-Mail Removed)
Provider of Jots, Tittles, and Oy!s

MJ@MJ.com

I've tried a few batch resizers in the hope of finding one that will
resize to a specified size rather than its own interpretation of
quality. Some time ago I wanted to resize all my pics from full size -
about 1 to 2mb to around 150k, keeping the smaller versions on my pc
for quick and easy viewing and the full size on cd. The problem I had
with all these resizers was that no matter what setting I used, the
end results would vary wildly in size and quality from 25k up to
around 900k. Yet I know that all the pictures are acceptable for
on-screen viewing at around 150k, more or less. I did come across one
prog that lets you specify finished size but I've lost the name. The
need isn't so great these days with bigger hard drives and faster PCs,
but I'd still like to find one for quick batch resizing to specific
sizes for emailing.

MJ

Dan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> I've tried a few batch resizers in the hope of finding one that will
> resize to a specified size rather than its own interpretation of
> quality. Some time ago I wanted to resize all my pics from full size -
> about 1 to 2mb to around 150k, keeping the smaller versions on my pc
> for quick and easy viewing and the full size on cd. The problem I had
> with all these resizers was that no matter what setting I used, the
> end results would vary wildly in size and quality from 25k up to
> around 900k. Yet I know that all the pictures are acceptable for
> on-screen viewing at around 150k, more or less. I did come across one
> prog that lets you specify finished size but I've lost the name. The
> need isn't so great these days with bigger hard drives and faster PCs,
> but I'd still like to find one for quick batch resizing to specific
> sizes for emailing.
>
> MJ

If you have not tried IrFanView, you should try it out. It is free
and let's you specify the size in many different ways. Better yet,
it's free!