Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A70 vs Nikon 3100

Canon A70 vs Nikon 3100

Ray Clayton

Trying to decide between these two cameras. Has anyone had any personal
experience with both these models? I own the Canon A40, but have never
been satisfied with the sharpness and a certain mottling in the skin
tones.

Ray

DigitalCameraBasics

The A70 is a definate improvement over the A40 in terms of photo quality
overall, and it offers the new 640x480 movie clip mode, too. The Nikon
takes good images, but to me it was too small to get a really good grip on.

Greg

"Ray Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Trying to decide between these two cameras. Has anyone had any personal
> experience with both these models? I own the Canon A40, but have never
> been satisfied with the sharpness and a certain mottling in the skin
> tones.
>
> Ray

Dave Weller

A70 all the way !

Gerapa

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 01:56:13 GMT, Ray Clayton
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Trying to decide between these two cameras. Has anyone had any personal
>experience with both these models? I own the Canon A40, but have never
>been satisfied with the sharpness and a certain mottling in the skin
>tones.

Hello Ray,

Don't know about the Nikon, but i have been very impressed by the
natural of the colors and appearance of skins with the A70. It's for
me one of its qualities.

Gerapa.

--
Enlever "pasde" pour me répondre.
Remove "pasde" to reply.

BTTeiro

I had the same trouble to decide...

A70 has some good features:

4 AA batery
Sound
switchable lens

I read lots of posts and reviews and found lots of technical problems...

I decided for the coolpix 3100 4 weeks ago and im very happy with it:

Excelent pics
great macro
compact but good grip
excelent software

www.dpreviews.com see owner opinions

"Ray Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Trying to decide between these two cameras. Has anyone had any personal
> experience with both these models? I own the Canon A40, but have never
> been satisfied with the sharpness and a certain mottling in the skin
> tones.
>
> Ray

Steve

Ray Clayton wrote:
> Trying to decide between these two cameras. Has anyone had any
> personal experience with both these models? I own the Canon A40, but
> have never been satisfied with the sharpness and a certain mottling
> in the skin tones.
>
> Ray

Ray:

I replaced a defective Canon with a Nikon CP3100. The Canon had a bad CCD
and a misaligned viewfinder. If you read various user forums, you will see
that there have been LOTS of defective A70's reported with bad CCD's,
misaligned viewfinders, LCD scratches and lines, lens mechanical problems,
and power supply problems just to mention a FEW.

Not to mention the Canon A series soft image problem, where you have to use
unsharp masking in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or similar software in order to
recover detail that is lost. You are already aware of this problem with the
A40, so why make the same mistake again.

I am real pleased with my CP3100. It may not have all of the features of
the A70, but then it has NONE of the problems. The CP3100 also as a far
superior macro capability than the Canon.

Good luck,

Steve

Alan Brennan

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:28:05 GMT
Steve ( http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) )
Wrote

> Ray Clayton wrote:
> > Trying to decide between these two cameras. Has anyone had any
> > personal experience with both these models? I own the Canon A40, but
> > have never been satisfied with the sharpness and a certain mottling
> > in the skin tones.
> >
> > Ray

> Ray:
>
> I replaced a defective Canon with a Nikon CP3100. The Canon had a bad CCD
> and a misaligned viewfinder. If you read various user forums, you will see
> that there have been LOTS of defective A70's reported with bad CCD's,
> misaligned viewfinders, LCD scratches and lines, lens mechanical problems,
> and power supply problems just to mention a FEW.

The A-70 doesn't have a power supply so how can it have power supply
problems? I recognise that you got a lemon, but I have had none of these
problems. A check of reviews at places like epinions.com shows that they
are not widespread.

> Not to mention the Canon A series soft image problem, where you have to use
> unsharp masking in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or similar software in order to
> recover detail that is lost. You are already aware of this problem with the
> A40, so why make the same mistake again.

There is more to image quality than sharpness. The Canon has excellent
exposure and colours are very natural. There is little problem with
noise. Contrast is great. The softness problem is not all it is made out
to be anyway, as a glance at
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A70/A70A.HTM
will show you.

You might like to look at
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP3100/CP31A.HTM
to compare the Nikon.

> I am real pleased with my CP3100. It may not have all of the features of
> the A70, but then it has NONE of the problems. The CP3100 also as a far
> superior macro capability than the Canon.

I am very pleased with the A-70. It has none of the problems encountered
by Steve, and a great range of features.

Zol.

"Alan Brennan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:28:05 GMT
> Steve ( (E-Mail Removed) )
> Wrote
>
> > Ray Clayton wrote:
> > > Trying to decide between these two cameras. Has anyone had any
> > > personal experience with both these models? I own the Canon A40, but
> > > have never been satisfied with the sharpness and a certain mottling
> > > in the skin tones.
> > >
> > > Ray

> > Ray:
> >
> > I replaced a defective Canon with a Nikon CP3100. The Canon had a bad

CCD
> > and a misaligned viewfinder. If you read various user forums, you will

see
> > that there have been LOTS of defective A70's reported with bad CCD's,
> > misaligned viewfinders, LCD scratches and lines, lens mechanical

problems,
> > and power supply problems just to mention a FEW.

> The A-70 doesn't have a power supply so how can it have power supply
> problems? I recognise that you got a lemon, but I have had none of these
> problems. A check of reviews at places like epinions.com shows that they
> are not widespread.
> >
> > Not to mention the Canon A series soft image problem, where you have to

use
> > unsharp masking in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or similar software in

order to
> > recover detail that is lost. You are already aware of this problem with

the
> > A40, so why make the same mistake again.

> There is more to image quality than sharpness. The Canon has excellent
> exposure and colours are very natural. There is little problem with
> noise. Contrast is great. The softness problem is not all it is made out
> to be anyway, as a glance at
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A70/A70A.HTM
> will show you.
>
> You might like to look at
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP3100/CP31A.HTM
> to compare the Nikon.
> >
> > I am real pleased with my CP3100. It may not have all of the features

of
> > the A70, but then it has NONE of the problems. The CP3100 also as a far
> > superior macro capability than the Canon.

> I am very pleased with the A-70. It has none of the problems encountered
> by Steve, and a great range of features.

I quite agree with the comments on the Canon - it has produced some very
good pictures but does need to be held extreamly still for the best
results - If there was so many problems with this model surely we would hear
a lot more from different users on this group?

Zol.

Ray Clayton

Made my decision today! And I chose the A70. The 3100 is a little sharper,
but the handling and ergonomics REALLY suck. I shoot street/documentary
stuff so I need to be able to react quickly.

And since I spend half my life in Photoshop-world…

Anyway that's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

Ray