Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > APS Canon IXUS versus digital Canon IXUS ( a question for the pros )

APS Canon IXUS versus digital Canon IXUS ( a question for the pros )

Davidgilmour2003@hotmail.com

Hi all,

I bought an original Canon IXUS APS camera in 1997 ($300 then ), now I
am gonna buy a digital canon ixus camer , either 3,2 or 4,0 MP.

Are these digital cameras comparable with the old skool ixus ? They cost
twice as much nowadays, is the picture quality comparable or is it much
better ?

Any help is appreciated.

Matt

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I bought an original Canon IXUS APS camera in 1997 ($300 then ), now I
> am gonna buy a digital canon ixus camer , either 3,2 or 4,0 MP.
>
> Are these digital cameras comparable with the old skool ixus ? They cost
> twice as much nowadays, is the picture quality comparable or is it much
> better ?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Canon IXUS (EU) AKA Canon ELPH.
Yeah, these cameras are much better now. I would say it's time to upgrade.
You can get a 4MP S500 (it's a new model) for around $490 USD. Canon A70
(3.2 MP) which is still better than your IXUS is around $290 USD. I would
get either one of them.

PS, the A70 is better for Macro shots than the ELPH series. Also the A70
allows for added lenses(Telephoto and Macro) Just to let you know.

Matt

Matt

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I bought an original Canon IXUS APS camera in 1997 ($300 then ), now I
> > am gonna buy a digital canon ixus camer , either 3,2 or 4,0 MP.
> >
> > Are these digital cameras comparable with the old skool ixus ? They cost
> > twice as much nowadays, is the picture quality comparable or is it much
> > better ?
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.

> Canon IXUS (EU) AKA Canon ELPH.
> Yeah, these cameras are much better now. I would say it's time to upgrade.
> You can get a 4MP S500 (it's a new model) for around $490 USD. Canon A70
> (3.2 MP) which is still better than your IXUS is around $290 USD. I would
> get either one of them.
>
> PS, the A70 is better for Macro shots than the ELPH series. Also the A70
> allows for added lenses(Telephoto and Macro) Just to let you know.
>
> Matt

Correction, it's an S400 not S500. There is also an S50. That's what I was
thinking about. The ELPH series is pretty cool. Tiny suckers. I believe the
S400 is the smallest 4MP camera in existence on the planet!

Matt

Jim Townsend

> Hi all,
>
> I bought an original Canon IXUS APS camera in 1997 ($300 then ), now I
> am gonna buy a digital canon ixus camer , either 3,2 or 4,0 MP.
>
> Are these digital cameras comparable with the old skool ixus ? They cost
> twice as much nowadays, is the picture quality comparable or is it much
> better ?

I have an original IXUS that I paid around the same for it. I later bought the
original IXUS digi.. (The S100). I settled on the IXUS digi, because I liked
the film one so much.

Well.. My APS camera went in a drawer somewhere.. I may dig it out some day if
I can remember where I put it

You can get photos printed on real photopaper now, through places like Walmart
and Costco.. These photos are every bit as good as what the APS model can
produce.

The only thing you can't do is select the regular, HDTV and Pano modes. But
you can approximate this on your own printer. You can also get great output
(up to 8 x 10) on a photoprinter.

If you're thinking of getting a digi IXUS... Do it

Is the S400 smaller than the Konica one? (forgot the model name)