Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ultra compact digital camera

Ultra compact digital camera

JK

A friend bought the Sony U20. I was impressed with the small size.
I do not like the use of memory sticks, low resolution, and other
shortcomings. Are there any cameras about the same size that
are low priced, use AA or AAA nimh batteries, have a fast lens and
400 ISO mode (the U20 has an f2.8 lens, but they don't tell you
the ISO equiv of the camera). This would be as a second or third
digital camera, so it wouldn't have to have a zoom(in fact I would
prefer not having a zoom if the lens is much faster).

Matt

"JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>Are there any cameras about the same size that
> are low priced, use AA or AAA nimh batteries, have a fast lens and

I have heard NOT to get a digital camera if it uses AAA batteries. Why?
Because their life is less than half of that of AA and there size-to-charge
ratio is not comparable as AA's are. So that dispells that portion of your
message. So all your left with is AA NiMH batteries or Lithium rechargeable.
Your size is then limited to around 2 AA sized batteries. The camera must be
made around these. Just my .02

JK

Matt wrote:

> "JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Are there any cameras about the same size that
> > are low priced, use AA or AAA nimh batteries, have a fast lens and

> I have heard NOT to get a digital camera if it uses AAA batteries. Why?
> Because their life is less than half of that of AA and there size-to-charge
> ratio is not comparable as AA's are.

That doesn't matter, as I already have a few fast chargers, and several sets
of AA and AAA nimh batteries. I hate expensive proprietary batteries.

> So that dispells that portion of your
> message. So all your left with is AA NiMH batteries or Lithium rechargeable.
> Your size is then limited to around 2 AA sized batteries. The camera must be
> made around these. Just my .02

Godfrey DiGiorgi

I looked at the Sony U20 and liked it, but I wanted 5Mpixel. I decided
to go for the Konica KD500Z after reading the excellent report on
<http://www.megapixel.net/> as well as hearing several folks remark on
how good the image quality was. It's tiny (just a hair smaller than a
Minox 35GT-E compact 35mm camera) and seems to be quite responsive.
Takes both Memory Stick (good for me as I have a dozen of them) as well
as SecureDigital cards.

Quoting the review:
"The 500Z is powered by a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery (DR-LB4). A
separate charger, into which the battery slides, taking about 2.5 hours
for a full charge, is included (DR-BC-K4)."

These batteries cost $29 and are available from (at least) Konica and
Power2000 so I'd hardly call them "proprietary". Batteries like this
are required for this class of miniature high-resolutin digital camera
as AA and AAA cells are too large to fit in the form factor and give a
useful working life between charges.

Godfrey

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, JK <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> A friend bought the Sony U20. I was impressed with the small size.
> I do not like the use of memory sticks, low resolution, and other
> shortcomings. Are there any cameras about the same size that
> are low priced, use AA or AAA nimh batteries, have a fast lens and
> 400 ISO mode (the U20 has an f2.8 lens, but they don't tell you
> the ISO equiv of the camera). This would be as a second or third
> digital camera, so it wouldn't have to have a zoom(in fact I would
> prefer not having a zoom if the lens is much faster).

MJ@MJ.com

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:44:38 GMT, "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>Are there any cameras about the same size that
>> are low priced, use AA or AAA nimh batteries, have a fast lens and

>I have heard NOT to get a digital camera if it uses AAA batteries. Why?
>Because their life is less than half of that of AA and there size-to-charge
>ratio is not comparable as AA's are. So that dispells that portion of your
>message. So all your left with is AA NiMH batteries or Lithium rechargeable.
>Your size is then limited to around 2 AA sized batteries. The camera must be
>made around these. Just my .02

The Sony AAA Ni-MH batteries that come with the U20 (and a spare pair)
last for days and days of use, if not more. My U20 is usually only
carried around 'just in case'. Even not using it for a month I've
turned it on and found it ready to go still showing a full charge.
I've only really charged the batteries out of courtesy, never need. As
a camera to carry around all the time ready for unexpected use it's
unbeatable.

MJ

Don Coon

"Godfrey DiGiorgi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:190720031724544767%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I looked at the Sony U20 and liked it, but I wanted 5Mpixel. I decided
> to go for the Konica KD500Z after reading the excellent report on
> <http://www.megapixel.net/> as well as hearing several folks remark on
> how good the image quality was. It's tiny (just a hair smaller than a
> Minox 35GT-E compact 35mm camera) and seems to be quite responsive.
> Takes both Memory Stick (good for me as I have a dozen of them) as well
> as SecureDigital cards.
>
> Quoting the review:
> "The 500Z is powered by a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery (DR-LB4). A
> separate charger, into which the battery slides, taking about 2.5 hours
> for a full charge, is included (DR-BC-K4)."
>
> These batteries cost $29 and are available from (at least) Konica and
> Power2000 so I'd hardly call them "proprietary".

Or $13 (or lower) on Ebay:
Ex:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15215

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> I looked at the Sony U20 and liked it, but I wanted 5Mpixel. I decided
> to go for the Konica KD500Z after reading the excellent report on
> <http://www.megapixel.net/> as well as hearing several folks remark on
> how good the image quality was. It's tiny (just a hair smaller than a
> Minox 35GT-E compact 35mm camera) and seems to be quite responsive.

The problem for me with that camera is that the lens is too slow at
telephoto(f4.9!) for me to use as my primary digital camera, and
the camera is too expensive( $400+?) for me to use as a second
camera. The proprietary battery is also a nuisance.

"Like most "mini" digicams, the KD500Z is powered by a proprietary lithium-ion
rechargeable battery pack. The ultra-slim DR-LB4 is a 3.7v 820mAh pack with
enough power for 100 pictures with LCD on or 200 pictures with the LCD off
(normal humidity and temperature, flash intensity 50%, shot every 30 sec. zoomed
one direction once.) And 90 minutes of continuous playback time.

The DR-LB4 is the -only- battery that can be used in this camera so be sure to
buy a spare and keep it with you -- or else your picture taking is over when the
battery runs out!"

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...d500z_pg2.html

"The KD-500Z is basically a point-n-shoot automatic type of digicam. It doesn't
offer any advanced exposure modes like aperture or shutter speed priority or
full manual"

That is a great deficiency in a $400+ camera. Also the lack of a rotating
display is annoying.

"It can use Secure Digital or MMC cards and Memory Stick cards at the same time"

Another minus. I want a camera that uses Compact Flash.

I didn't see any mention in the review of what ISO equivalent ranges the camera
works in.

> Takes both Memory Stick (good for me as I have a dozen of them) as well
> as SecureDigital cards.
>
> Quoting the review:
> "The 500Z is powered by a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery (DR-LB4). A
> separate charger, into which the battery slides, taking about 2.5 hours
> for a full charge, is included (DR-BC-K4)."
>
> These batteries cost $29 and are available from (at least) Konica and
> Power2000 so I'd hardly call them "proprietary". Batteries like this
> are required for this class of miniature high-resolutin digital camera
> as AA and AAA cells are too large to fit in the form factor and give a
> useful working life between charges.
>
> Godfrey
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, JK <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > A friend bought the Sony U20. I was impressed with the small size.
> > I do not like the use of memory sticks, low resolution, and other
> > shortcomings. Are there any cameras about the same size that
> > are low priced, use AA or AAA nimh batteries, have a fast lens and
> > 400 ISO mode (the U20 has an f2.8 lens, but they don't tell you
> > the ISO equiv of the camera). This would be as a second or third
> > digital camera, so it wouldn't have to have a zoom(in fact I would
> > prefer not having a zoom if the lens is much faster).

dsco

JK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A friend bought the Sony U20. I was impressed with the small size.
>I do not like the use of memory sticks, low resolution, and other
>shortcomings. Are there any cameras about the same size that
>are low priced, use AA or AAA nimh batteries, have a fast lens and
>400 ISO mode (the U20 has an f2.8 lens, but they don't tell you
>the ISO equiv of the camera). This would be as a second or third
>digital camera, so it wouldn't have to have a zoom(in fact I would
>prefer not having a zoom if the lens is much faster).

I have a Casio Exilim EX-M2 and really like it. A more recent model would
be the EX-S3, 3 megapixel instead of 2mp. To make it so small (it is much
smaller than the Sony), it does use a proprietary Lithium-Ion battery - I
simply bought an extra battery, and have never needed more. Your subject
says "Ultra compact" - to me, the Casio Exilim series is the best ultra
compact with good quality and features. I literally carry it with me all
the time in a pants or shirt pocket.

MS

Well, the very smallest and cheapest I've seen (well, the Casio watch camera
might be smaller, but not cheaper) is the Sipix Blink II, at $40, sometimes
cheaper. Uses one AAA battery. I don't know how the lens is, probably not
the best.

640 x480 resolution. The biggest problem is--no memory card, and the
internal memory is volatile, your pictures get lost if the battery runs
down. (And I sometimes lost photos when the battery did not run down, I
don't know why!) And the battery goes fast, using power even when turned
off.

But it's tiny (about the size of a matchbook), and cheap, so you don't have
to worry about losing it.

"JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A friend bought the Sony U20. I was impressed with the small size.
> I do not like the use of memory sticks, low resolution, and other
> shortcomings. Are there any cameras about the same size that
> are low priced, use AA or AAA nimh batteries, have a fast lens and
> 400 ISO mode (the U20 has an f2.8 lens, but they don't tell you
> the ISO equiv of the camera). This would be as a second or third
> digital camera, so it wouldn't have to have a zoom(in fact I would
> prefer not having a zoom if the lens is much faster).

Frank ess

"JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| A friend bought the Sony U20. I was impressed with the small size.
| I do not like the use of memory sticks, low resolution, and other
| shortcomings. Are there any cameras about the same size that
| are low priced, use AA or AAA nimh batteries, have a fast lens and
| 400 ISO mode (the U20 has an f2.8 lens, but they don't tell you
| the ISO equiv of the camera). This would be as a second or third
| digital camera, so it wouldn't have to have a zoom(in fact I would
| prefer not having a zoom if the lens is much faster).

It might be worth your while to expore the Yahoo group 'tinycams'.
Those folks have acres of knowledge about small, cheap cameras.

Frank ess