Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ultra compact digital camera

Ultra compact digital camera

Cool Hand

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:29:15 GMT, dsco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

=>
=>I have a Casio Exilim EX-M2 and really like it. A more recent model would
=>be the EX-S3, 3 megapixel instead of 2mp. To make it so small (it is much
=>smaller than the Sony), it does use a proprietary Lithium-Ion battery - I
=>simply bought an extra battery, and have never needed more. Your subject
=>says "Ultra compact" - to me, the Casio Exilim series is the best ultra
=>compact with good quality and features. I literally carry it with me all
=>the time in a pants or shirt pocket.

So ultra compact + xtra battery = no so ultra compact?
Then for weak flash, add another slave flash = definitely not so ultra
compact?

---
Bill God recently starts fighting Spam because (he says) "Like almost everyone, I receive a lot of spam every day, much of it offering to help me get out of debt or get rich quick. It's ridiculous."
http://home.earthlink.net/~rachel1689/

matthews

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:44:38 GMT, "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>I have heard NOT to get a digital camera if it uses AAA batteries. Why?
>>Because their life is less than half of that of AA and there size-to-charge
>>ratio is not comparable as AA's are. So that dispells that portion of your
>>message. So all your left with is AA NiMH batteries or Lithium rechargeable.
>>Your size is then limited to around 2 AA sized batteries. The camera must be
>>made around these. Just my .02

> The Sony AAA Ni-MH batteries that come with the U20 (and a spare pair)
> last for days and days of use, if not more. My U20 is usually only
> carried around 'just in case'. Even not using it for a month I've
> turned it on and found it ready to go still showing a full charge.
> I've only really charged the batteries out of courtesy, never need. As
> a camera to carry around all the time ready for unexpected use it's
> unbeatable.

Shelf life ("days and days") depends as much on chemistry as capacity.

How many *shots* do you get off one charge? With or without flash?

Rick

MJ@MJ.com

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:54:22 -0400, matthews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:44:38 GMT, "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>>I have heard NOT to get a digital camera if it uses AAA batteries. Why?
>>>Because their life is less than half of that of AA and there size-to-charge
>>>ratio is not comparable as AA's are. So that dispells that portion of your
>>>message. So all your left with is AA NiMH batteries or Lithium rechargeable.
>>>Your size is then limited to around 2 AA sized batteries. The camera must be
>>>made around these. Just my .02

>> The Sony AAA Ni-MH batteries that come with the U20 (and a spare pair)
>> last for days and days of use, if not more. My U20 is usually only
>> carried around 'just in case'. Even not using it for a month I've
>> turned it on and found it ready to go still showing a full charge.
>> I've only really charged the batteries out of courtesy, never need. As
>> a camera to carry around all the time ready for unexpected use it's
>> unbeatable.

>Shelf life ("days and days") depends as much on chemistry as capacity.
>
>How many *shots* do you get off one charge? With or without flash?
>
>Rick

Well over a hundred, with an indeterminate number of flashes - maybe
10% to 20% at a guess, and still showing full charge. I've never seen
it showing less than full in the 4 months I've had it. Because of this
it has been difficult to guage how much use I can get before charging
is a necessity.

MJ