Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camera theft - has it happened to you ?

Camera theft - has it happened to you ?

Rachael the Wiccan Rat

I ask because a young gentleman attempted to relieve me of my Nikon Coolpix
5700 the other day. To cut a long story short, he engaged me in a brief
conversation and asked me whether cameras of that quality were often stolen
from women wandering about on their own, such as I was, and did I think I
was capable of preventing him if he tried to abscond with mine (though in
less civil terms, making no doubt in my mind that he was threatening to do
that very thing and expected me to go all frightened and stupid and hand the
thing over like a good little girl). I replied that he better try his luck
and I'd see if I couldn't put out his eyes in the process (very fond of my
Nikon, I am.) He came to the conclusion that his eyes were more important
than getting his hands on my camera, then he legged it and I carried on
shooting. All this not a quarter mile from my own front door. Sigh.

How do you guys deal with this, if it happens ? Has it happened to you and
you've had to give your gear up ? Some of the kit around in digital
photography is pretty pricey and I guess the opportunist thief sees it
hanging there round yer neck and wants a piece. I understand that in popular
tourist spots, some crims will "steal to order" too.

Rachael

ajacobs2

You need a GLOCK camera theft deterrent.

"Rachael the Wiccan Rat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfbhrj$dafvv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I ask because a young gentleman attempted to relieve me of my Nikon

Coolpix
> 5700 the other day. To cut a long story short, he engaged me in a brief
> conversation and asked me whether cameras of that quality were often

stolen
> from women wandering about on their own, such as I was, and did I think I
> was capable of preventing him if he tried to abscond with mine (though in
> less civil terms, making no doubt in my mind that he was threatening to do
> that very thing and expected me to go all frightened and stupid and hand

the
> thing over like a good little girl). I replied that he better try his luck
> and I'd see if I couldn't put out his eyes in the process (very fond of my
> Nikon, I am.) He came to the conclusion that his eyes were more important
> than getting his hands on my camera, then he legged it and I carried on
> shooting. All this not a quarter mile from my own front door. Sigh.
>
> How do you guys deal with this, if it happens ? Has it happened to you and
> you've had to give your gear up ? Some of the kit around in digital
> photography is pretty pricey and I guess the opportunist thief sees it
> hanging there round yer neck and wants a piece. I understand that in

popular
> tourist spots, some crims will "steal to order" too.
>

> Rachael

Allegro

Glad you were able to fend him off. Attitude is one of the most
important things in these situations and you had it. Any potential thief
will usually just find someone else easier to target. This has never
happened to me but I like to take a monopod with me whenever I can. Even
the lightest one makes a good weapon and can look somewhat intimidating
when used as a walking stick.

Rachael the Wiccan Rat wrote:
> I ask because a young gentleman attempted to relieve me of my Nikon Coolpix
> 5700 the other day. To cut a long story short, he engaged me in a brief
> conversation and asked me whether cameras of that quality were often stolen
> from women wandering about on their own, such as I was, and did I think I
> was capable of preventing him if he tried to abscond with mine (though in
> less civil terms, making no doubt in my mind that he was threatening to do
> that very thing and expected me to go all frightened and stupid and hand the
> thing over like a good little girl). I replied that he better try his luck
> and I'd see if I couldn't put out his eyes in the process (very fond of my
> Nikon, I am.) He came to the conclusion that his eyes were more important
> than getting his hands on my camera, then he legged it and I carried on
> shooting. All this not a quarter mile from my own front door. Sigh.
>
> How do you guys deal with this, if it happens ? Has it happened to you and
> you've had to give your gear up ? Some of the kit around in digital
> photography is pretty pricey and I guess the opportunist thief sees it
> hanging there round yer neck and wants a piece. I understand that in popular
> tourist spots, some crims will "steal to order" too.
>

> Rachael

MJ@MJ.com

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:21:00 GMT, "ajacobs2"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You need a GLOCK camera theft deterrent.

Crocodile Dundee.... 'Now that's a knife....' as you pull out your
18in scythe.

MJ

Lionel

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:37:42 +0100, in
<bfbhrj$dafvv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "Rachael the Wiccan Rat"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>How do you guys deal with this, if it happens ?

It hasn't yet. <touches wood> And if it did, I'd most likely react in
much the same way you did.

Which reminds me, I need to take out an insurance policy on my gear.

Steve Wilbur

In article <bfbhrj$dafvv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "Rachael the
Wiccan Rat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How do you guys deal with this, if it happens

An armed society is a polite society.

Marvin Margoshes

"Rachael the Wiccan Rat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfbhrj$dafvv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I ask because a young gentleman attempted to relieve me of my Nikon

Coolpix
> 5700 the other day. To cut a long story short, he engaged me in a brief
> conversation and asked me whether cameras of that quality were often

stolen
> from women wandering about on their own, such as I was, and did I think I
> was capable of preventing him if he tried to abscond with mine (though in
> less civil terms, making no doubt in my mind that he was threatening to do
> that very thing and expected me to go all frightened and stupid and hand

the
> thing over like a good little girl). I replied that he better try his luck
> and I'd see if I couldn't put out his eyes in the process (very fond of my
> Nikon, I am.) He came to the conclusion that his eyes were more important
> than getting his hands on my camera, then he legged it and I carried on
> shooting. All this not a quarter mile from my own front door. Sigh.
>
> How do you guys deal with this, if it happens ? Has it happened to you and
> you've had to give your gear up ? Some of the kit around in digital
> photography is pretty pricey and I guess the opportunist thief sees it
> hanging there round yer neck and wants a piece. I understand that in

popular
> tourist spots, some crims will "steal to order" too.

A pickpocket got my camera at a crowded street fair in Paris. I was upset,
of course, but there was nothing to do. There were no police in sight. It
was the last day of the trip, and I didn't see any point in wasting it by
finding a police station and making a complaint.

Fortunately, I had just the day before filled a memory card, and replaced
it, so I had most of the photos. My homeowner insurance covers thefts, but
it had a deductable so large that I only got $100 from the insurance company
for a camera that cost $600.

It can be dangerous to argue with a thief. You were lucky this time.

Bill Crocker

Insure all your equipment with Smith & Wesson!

Bill Crocker

"Rachael the Wiccan Rat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfbhrj$dafvv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I ask because a young gentleman attempted to relieve me of my Nikon

Coolpix
> 5700 the other day. To cut a long story short, he engaged me in a brief
> conversation and asked me whether cameras of that quality were often

stolen
> from women wandering about on their own, such as I was, and did I think I
> was capable of preventing him if he tried to abscond with mine (though in
> less civil terms, making no doubt in my mind that he was threatening to do
> that very thing and expected me to go all frightened and stupid and hand

the
> thing over like a good little girl). I replied that he better try his luck
> and I'd see if I couldn't put out his eyes in the process (very fond of my
> Nikon, I am.) He came to the conclusion that his eyes were more important
> than getting his hands on my camera, then he legged it and I carried on
> shooting. All this not a quarter mile from my own front door. Sigh.
>
> How do you guys deal with this, if it happens ? Has it happened to you and
> you've had to give your gear up ? Some of the kit around in digital
> photography is pretty pricey and I guess the opportunist thief sees it
> hanging there round yer neck and wants a piece. I understand that in

popular
> tourist spots, some crims will "steal to order" too.
>

> Rachael

George Kerby

On 7/19/03 2:09 PM, in article ultramafic-1907031109450001@192.168.0.100,
"Steve Wilbur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <bfbhrj$dafvv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "Rachael the
> Wiccan Rat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> How do you guys deal with this, if it happens

> An armed society is a polite society.

INDEED!
See my response above to: Re: Any one do a mini-few-sec digital handheld
videocam for re-attack after violent road rage attack?

LesU

In Vancouver for a marathon, wife had a brand new Nikon.
It was stolan/pickpocekted. Had bought it the day before
with an American Express card, got a new one.

Now wife carries it with lanyard around her neck

LES UNGERLEIDER