Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best Digital for Capture Speed

Best Digital for Capture Speed

Brandy Alexandre

I don't know what the rigth terminology for this is, but it's time for
me to buy a digital camera, I think, and the one thing that drives me
BATTY about the ones I've used is the lag time between pressing the
button and taking the picture. I've been cruising specs for various
cameras and I think I'm looking for capture interval or capture speed,
but I'm not sure.

I've read in a user review, however, that what increases this speed is
the CPU in the camera. Great. I have yet to find any camera specs
that include this information. The review I read was for the Minolta
Dimage s414 and it's in my price range. Anyone have any opinions or
knowledge about this camera and what else I might look at to suit my
needs?

Thanks!

--
Brandy**Alexandre®
http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx

Ian Stirling

Brandy Alexandre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I don't know what the rigth terminology for this is, but it's time for
> me to buy a digital camera, I think, and the one thing that drives me
> BATTY about the ones I've used is the lag time between pressing the
> button and taking the picture. I've been cruising specs for various
> cameras and I think I'm looking for capture interval or capture speed,
> but I'm not sure.

"Shutter lag"

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | (E-Mail Removed) | Ian Stirling.
The fight between good and evil, an epic battle. Darth vader and Luke,

Brandy Alexandre

Ian Stirling <(E-Mail Removed)>, with thought and calculation,
said in rec.photo.digital:

> Brandy Alexandre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I don't know what the rigth terminology for this is, but it's
>> time for me to buy a digital camera, I think, and the one thing
>> that drives me BATTY about the ones I've used is the lag time
>> between pressing the button and taking the picture. I've been
>> cruising specs for various cameras and I think I'm looking for
>> capture interval or capture speed, but I'm not sure.

> "Shutter lag"

I'm not sure I saw any terminology of "shutter lag" in product specs,
either. I know that is what it is, but not technically what it's
called.

--
Brandy**Alexandre®
http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
Well, would you?

J.D. Parker

Get a digital SLR: my camera can take 21 high quality JPG photos in
about 21 seconds or 14 RAW images in 5 seconds. This fills up the
buffer and then they have to be written to the CF card.

I've had both a Canon G2 and a Nikon 5700 and they both were
intolerable especially compare to my film SLR that took 8 frames a
second. I don't think that any point and shoot is capable of a decent
response time.

JP

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:18:39 -0000, "Brandy*Alexandre"
<(E-Mail Removed)*> wrote:

>I don't know what the rigth terminology for this is, but it's time for
>me to buy a digital camera, I think, and the one thing that drives me
>BATTY about the ones I've used is the lag time between pressing the
>button and taking the picture. I've been cruising specs for various
>cameras and I think I'm looking for capture interval or capture speed,
>but I'm not sure.
>
>I've read in a user review, however, that what increases this speed is
>the CPU in the camera. Great. I have yet to find any camera specs
>that include this information. The review I read was for the Minolta
>Dimage s414 and it's in my price range. Anyone have any opinions or
>knowledge about this camera and what else I might look at to suit my
>needs?
>
>Thanks!

Brandy Alexandre

J.D. Parker <(E-Mail Removed)>, with thought and calculation,
said in rec.photo.digital:

> Get a digital SLR: my camera can take 21 high quality JPG photos
> in about 21 seconds or 14 RAW images in 5 seconds. This fills up
> the buffer and then they have to be written to the CF card.
>
> I've had both a Canon G2 and a Nikon 5700 and they both were
> intolerable especially compare to my film SLR that took 8 frames a
> second. I don't think that any point and shoot is capable of a
> decent response time.
>
> JP

I look at a couple, but they're out of my price range. I really can't
spend more than $400. The Minolta I looked at was $340. It touts a
1.8 second recovery and the guy who reviewed said the lag time was
really short, but I can't find specs on other cameras to compare. The
was a comment that you couldn't see the image to manually focus, which
could be a problem, but mostly I need to get a camera now because I'm
packing and moving and I want to photograph my stuff and the apartment
I'm leaving and the apartment I'm moving into. It's probably best to
have a good digital for this, and of course other things like
inflicting the net with picture of my cat and stuff.

--
Brandy**Alexandre®
http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
Well, would you?

George Kerby

On 7/19/03 1:09 PM, in article Xns93BD71331FFB6whatsittoyou@216.168.3.50,
"Brandy*Alexandre" <(E-Mail Removed)?> wrote:

> Ian Stirling <(E-Mail Removed)>, with thought and calculation,
> said in rec.photo.digital:
>
>> Brandy Alexandre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I don't know what the rigth terminology for this is, but it's
>>> time for me to buy a digital camera, I think, and the one thing
>>> that drives me BATTY about the ones I've used is the lag time
>>> between pressing the button and taking the picture. I've been
>>> cruising specs for various cameras and I think I'm looking for
>>> capture interval or capture speed, but I'm not sure.

>> "Shutter lag"
>>

> I'm not sure I saw any terminology of "shutter lag" in product specs,
> either. I know that is what it is, but not technically what it's
> called.

Hey you're not the "real" Brandy Alexandre are you?!?
No wait, that was Brandy Alexander, wasn't it?

lil T

<(E-Mail Removed)*> wrote:

>I don't know what the rigth terminology for this is, but it's time for
>me to buy a digital camera, I think, and the one thing that drives me
>BATTY about the ones I've used is the lag time between pressing the
>button and taking the picture. I've been cruising specs for various
>cameras and I think I'm looking for capture interval or capture speed,
>but I'm not sure.
>
>I've read in a user review, however, that what increases this speed is
>the CPU in the camera. Great. I have yet to find any camera specs
>that include this information. The review I read was for the Minolta
>Dimage s414 and it's in my price range. Anyone have any opinions or
>knowledge about this camera and what else I might look at to suit my
>needs?
>
>Thanks!

The reviews at www.imaging-resource.com include a section on how much
time the camera takes to do certain tasks. Here is the page from the
older S404. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S404/S44A7.HTM

Dan Wojciechowski

> the CPU in the camera. Great. I have yet to find any camera specs
> that include this information. The review I read was for the Minolta
> Dimage s414 and it's in my price range. Anyone have any opinions or
> knowledge about this camera and what else I might look at to suit my
> needs?

I have the older but virtually identical Minolta S404. In general, I like the
camera a lot; it's my first digital camera. As for the lag between pressing
the button and capturing the picture, the largest component seems to be
the focus time.

In most consumer level digital cameras in "auto" mode, after the button
is pressed, the camera determines the focus, sets the white ballance,
etc... before capturing the picture. This can take a little time. After the
picture has been captured, the information must be written to memory,
and this can take some time as well. Time taken writing to memory can
be a major contributor to how quickly you can take subsequent shots
with the camera.

Now, comparing to friend's cameras, the S404 doesn't seem any slower,
and the speed seems generally fine to me. Still, particularly in low light
situations, I've seen the autofocus hunt for a second or two. The S404
(and S414) have a good 32MB of internal RAM. After the camera has
captured a picture, the info gets written to RAM first, and then written from
RAM to the FLASH card. What this means is that there is virtually no
inter-shot delay waiting for the picture to be saved, *UNLESS* the RAM
is filled. The only way I've ever accomplished this is to use the Burst mode
which keeps taking pictures as long as the button is depressed. Three
pictures can be taken in rapid succession, with a 1-2 second delay before
the fourth and subsequent can be taken.

As far as dimishing the intial lag, there are some things that work for all
cameras in this class:

Prefocus by depressing the button halfway to get autofocus locked. From
half-press to picture is virtually lag free.
Manual focus. There will be no focus lag.
Manually set white ballance (and anything else), though focus is the most
important as far as lag.

Oh. Lastly, to decrease shot-to-shot time, turn off the "review the last shot
taken" feature. I always leave this off and use the "Quick View" when I want
to check what I've just shot.

In summary, I like the camera. I've shot some 500 or so pictures over the
last 6 months. Using 4MP, 8.5 x 11 photos printed on my lowly 4 color
Epson 880 are more than acceptable for any kind of home use.

--
Dan (Woj...) dmaster (at) lucent (dot) com

"Then she opened up a book of poems / And handed it to me
Written by an Italian poet / From the thirteenth century.
And every one of them words rang true / And glowed like burnin' coal
Pourin' off of every page / Like it was written in my soul
from me to you / Tangled up in blue."

Paul Rubin

"Brandy*Alexandre" <(E-Mail Removed)*> writes:
> I don't know what the rigth terminology for this is, but it's time for
> me to buy a digital camera, I think, and the one thing that drives me
> BATTY about the ones I've used is the lag time between pressing the
> button and taking the picture. I've been cruising specs for various
> cameras and I think I'm looking for capture interval or capture speed,
> but I'm not sure.

Look for the Ricoh Caplio RR30 or Ricoh Caplio G3 (not to be confused
with the Canon G3).

> I've read in a user review, however, that what increases this speed is
> the CPU in the camera. Great. I have yet to find any camera specs
> that include this information.

No. The lag is caused by the slow autofocus system used in most
consumer digicams. The AF system used in film cameras is much faster
but would add a few dollars to the manufacturing cost of a digicam, so
most makers don't use it. The two Ricoh models I mentioned are among
the few that use the faster system.

Another approach if you want a lower cost camera is to get a fixed
focus model (no AF at all). Because of the short focal length of
digicam lenses, no-AF actually works pretty well as long as you don't
want to take close-ups. If you get a Fuji A101 then everything from
about 3 feet to infinity should be in focus, the camera costs $150
or less, and has very little shutter lag.

Brandy Alexandre

Dan Wojciechowski <(E-Mail Removed)>, with thought and calculation,
said in rec.photo.digital:

> I have the older but virtually identical Minolta S404. In
> general, I like the camera a lot; it's my first digital camera. As
> for the lag between pressing the button and capturing the picture,
> the largest component seems to be the focus time.
>
> In most consumer level digital cameras in "auto" mode, after the
> button is pressed, the camera determines the focus, sets the white
> ballance, etc... before capturing the picture. This can take a
> little time. After the picture has been captured, the information
> must be written to memory, and this can take some time as well.
> Time taken writing to memory can be a major contributor to how
> quickly you can take subsequent shots with the camera.
>
> Now, comparing to friend's cameras, the S404 doesn't seem any
> slower, and the speed seems generally fine to me. Still,
> particularly in low light situations, I've seen the autofocus hunt
> for a second or two. The S404 (and S414) have a good 32MB of
> internal RAM. After the camera has captured a picture, the info
> gets written to RAM first, and then written from RAM to the FLASH
> card. What this means is that there is virtually no inter-shot
> delay waiting for the picture to be saved, *UNLESS* the RAM is
> filled. The only way I've ever accomplished this is to use the
> Burst mode which keeps taking pictures as long as the button is
> depressed. Three pictures can be taken in rapid succession, with
> a 1-2 second delay before the fourth and subsequent can be taken.
>
> As far as dimishing the intial lag, there are some things that
> work for all cameras in this class:
>
> Prefocus by depressing the button halfway to get autofocus locked.
> From half-press to picture is virtually lag free.
> Manual focus. There will be no focus lag.
> Manually set white ballance (and anything else), though focus is
> the most important as far as lag.
>
> Oh. Lastly, to decrease shot-to-shot time, turn off the "review
> the last shot taken" feature. I always leave this off and use the
> "Quick View" when I want to check what I've just shot.
>
> In summary, I like the camera. I've shot some 500 or so pictures
> over the last 6 months. Using 4MP, 8.5 x 11 photos printed on my
> lowly 4 color Epson 880 are more than acceptable for any kind of
> home use.

Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful response. I think I made the
right choice for the price, since this will be my first, too. I still
like and prefer film, but I'm just not that good at it. I don't think
I care much about shot-to-shot, just getting the shot I press the
shutter button for, not the one that comes two seconds later. I'll
train on this camera and probably look to the other recommendations in
the future, but I'm sure by then everything will have changed and I
have to research all over again.