Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What a relief! -Portable storage...

What a relief! -Portable storage...

bowser

Long trips? Film. It's quite amazing, and as long as you take reasonable
care of it, you'll get some pretty good images.

"Jimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EUWRa.56899$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:vsVRa.3787$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Never, not on a bet would I trust my images to a non-backed up rotating
> > device that's magnetic. Unless I never wanted to see the images again.

It's
> > still a hard drive, and can still crash due to shock.
> >

> What do you use for storing images while on a 2-3 week vacation? Your

choices are limited unless
> you carry a notebook w/ cd burner. Digital Tanks, X-Drives, FlashTrax,

and other similar portable
> devices are good devices to temporarily store the images until they can be

stored on other permanent
> media.

bowser

Rotating devices are horribly delicate. Yes, they are far better than they
used to be. For long trips, I shoot film.

"Andrew McDonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VqXRa.108102$(E-Mail Removed) rthlink.net...
> bowser wrote:
> > Never, not on a bet would I trust my images to a non-backed up rotating
> > device that's magnetic. Unless I never wanted to see the images again.

It's
> > still a hard drive, and can still crash due to shock.

> People make such a big deal about these things. Hasn't anyone every
> lost a roll of film? Hasn't anyone had something happened that ruined a
> whole bunch of film (bad developing, screwed up camera settings, theft?).
>
> Sure all my eggs are in one basket with a portable hard drive but aren't
> they all in one basket anyway if all your film is in one place waiting
> to be developed? If you have your negatives stored somewhere who's to
> say something won't happen to the whole collection (house fire, theft,
> flood, etc).
>
> One of the great things about digital is being able to make exact copies.
>
> Once I am back at the hotel I back the files on the portable drive up to
> my laptop. This way there are two copies of everything during the trip.
> If I really wanted I could get a CD burner for the laptop and make a
> third copy.
>
> Of course I have DVD backups at home of all the pictures on my hard
> drive, an on-site and off-site set.
>
> But when you are in the field, your pictures are at risk whether it's
> film, 12 compact flash cards or a portable hard drive. You can only do
> some much to avoid it.

bowser

72 drives, no crashes? Man, you're lucky. I've seen three crashes this
month.

"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Andrew McDonald <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<VqXRa.108102$(E-Mail Removed) arthlink.net>...

> rotating

again.
> It's
> > >
> > > Once I am back at the hotel I back the files on the portable drive up

> > > my laptop. This way there are two copies of everything during the

trip.
> > > If I really wanted I could get a CD burner for the laptop and make a
> > > third copy.

> > Seems you haven't seen the new portable storage device with a build in
> > CD-RW burner. Same like the other devices with card readers but
> > instead of a hard disk it burns CDs.
> >
> > Unlimited storage space on every trip (if there are computer stores
> > around .

> That seems like a good idea... But how can you check to see if the burn

was
> perfect? Out of 72 hard drives in my care, I've never had a crash (but

they
> obviously happen). Burned CDs, on the other hand, have been shaky...from
> partially corrupted to total loss. I guess there's no perfect solution.

bowser

That's a good solution; keeping multiple copies of the images, and one I'd e
comfortable with. But I don't have a laptop, and don't want to carry one,
either. It seems that gear creep infects digital photography, like any other
things. There's the camera gear itself, batteries, temporary storage,
battery chargers, computers and their associated stuff, burners, blank CDs,
and then you'll need an internet connection. On the whole, I'd prefer to
carry a few rolls of film. Digital is wonderful, but sometimes it isn't.

"weth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BW3Sa.18926$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I have had far more non-magnetic back up media fail me over the years (CF
> and CD-R/RW included) and have never had a modern hard drive fail me.
>
> Having said that, when I am vacationing, I always bring a laptop, I keep

as
> many of the images on CF as I can, even after backup, I back them up to my
> laptop hard drive and I make a CD-R (not CD-RW) of the files. Then, and if

> have access to high speed internet, I will FTP them to dotphoto. Maybe
> overkill, but:
> having lost CF cards
> having hard CF cards become corrupted
> having had CD-R and CD-RW disk become unreadable
> and always worried about a HDD failure,
>
> this process makes my mind at ease.
>
> weth
>

> "bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vsVRa.3787$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Never, not on a bet would I trust my images to a non-backed up rotating
> > device that's magnetic. Unless I never wanted to see the images again.

> It's
> > still a hard drive, and can still crash due to shock.
> >
> > "Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > I just picked up a "Flashtrax" by SmartDisk.
> > > It's a 30GB hard drive for uploading my microdrives, this is not your
> > > typical up-loader drive. It also happens to play mp3 files (I've

> already
> > > got about 40 full music CDs copied to it for easy connection to my car
> > > stereo), and has a 3.5 inch flip-up color screen (you can upload file

> and
> > > play music without opening the screen, BTW).
> > >
> > > It is well-built and much more physically substantial than other

gadgets
> > of
> > > this type I've seen/handled), has a high quality Toshiba hard-drive,
> > > upgradable firmware (already did this), replaceable/swapable battery,

> and
> > > has run flawlessly.
> > >
> > > Also--It's USB 2.0, meaning the fastest of uploads to my computer back

> > home.
> > > It works perfectly as a portable hard drive for back-up or bulk

> transfers
> > as
> > > well, just like any other external hard drive, but can do this from a
> > > battery, and has the speed to boot.
> > >
> > > No more lugging my notebook all over the world on long trips...
> > > Fits right in my Orion AW, or on my dashboard for tunes.
> > > Very useful...but not cheap $499 (though cheaper than 30 more 1GB
> > > microdrives).
> > >
> > > I don't mean to sound like a salesman, but this is the device I've

been
> > > waiting for. Perhaps you too?
> > > -Mark

John Navas

In <n3cSa.97618$Ph3.11727@sccrnsc04> on Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:53:23 GMT,
"bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rotating devices are horribly delicate. ...

That's not really true -- modern disk drives are remarkably robust,
particularly those designed for use in mobile equipment (e.g., notebook
computers).

--
Best regards,
John Navas

John Navas

In <i4cSa.97144$ye4.67915@sccrnsc01> on Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:54:22 GMT,
"bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>72 drives, no crashes? Man, you're lucky. I've seen three crashes this
>month.

Then you're doing something wrong; e.g., power, heat, handling.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Michael Meissner

"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> > Seems you haven't seen the new portable storage device with a build in
> > CD-RW burner. Same like the other devices with card readers but
> > instead of a hard disk it burns CDs.
> >
> > Unlimited storage space on every trip (if there are computer stores
> > around .

> That seems like a good idea... But how can you check to see if the burn was
> perfect? Out of 72 hard drives in my care, I've never had a crash (but they
> obviously happen). Burned CDs, on the other hand, have been shaky...from
> partially corrupted to total loss. I guess there's no perfect solution.

The Nixvue Vizor has an output so you can look at your pictures on the TV set,
though it is limited to being used in a place where you have access to
electricity.

I don't recall if the Steno or Vizor have a verify function.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Ina Sterk

"Michael Meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org...
> "Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I don't recall if the Steno or Vizor have a verify function.

The Steno has a verify function.

-= Ina =-
http://community.webshots.com/user/gcwsterk
Sony MVC-CD1000 / Sony DSC-F717

Ina Sterk

> > I don't recall if the Steno or Vizor have a verify function.
> The Steno has a verify function.

Sorry, this must be: The DISC Steno has a verify function.

-= Ina =-
http://community.webshots.com/user/gcwsterk
Sony MVC-CD1000 / Sony DSC-F717

Abrasha

Mark M wrote:

> Frankly, I can think of things I'd MUCH rather spend my time doing while in
> Europe than looking for and wasting away in cyber cafes!

Didn't waste any time. Took all of 10 minutes each time for about 256 mb of
pictures. Didn't have to look very far either. They were everywhere I walked
in more than one place, all I had to do walk in, drop of the CF card, get an
espresso across the street and pich up the card and CD 10 minutes later.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com