Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Simulating testbench waveform error: "No feasible entries for subprogram write"

Simulating testbench waveform error: "No feasible entries for subprogram write"

Taras_96

Hi everyone

I'm trying to simulate a module from within Xilinx using Modelsim. I
have generated a testbench waveform using the inbuilt waveform
generator. When I double click on either "Simulate Behavioural Model"
(which opens up a Modelsim window) or "Generate Expected Simulation
Results" I get the following error:

"# ** Error: modmultcontrol_test_1.ant(56): No feasible entries for
subprogram write"

I have searched on groups and in google for an answer, and from that it
looks like it has something to do with the subprogram 'write'. My best
guess is that the waveform generator generates code that uses this
subprogram, but I'm not sure. The VHDL code is shown below.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Taras

VHDL
library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;
use IEEE.NUMERIC_STD.ALL;
use work.GlobalConstants.all;

entity ModmultControl is
port( CLK : in std_logic;
RST_MODMULT : in std_logic;
innerState : out unsigned (COUNTER_BITS downto 0);
enableInner : out std_logic);
end ModmultControl;

architecture RTL of ModmultControl is
signal innerState_out, nextState : unsigned (COUNTER_BITS downto 0);
constant FINISH_STATE : unsigned := to_unsigned(N_B_SIZE + 1,
COUNTER_BITS);
begin
innerState <= innerState_out;
enableInner <= '1' when (RST_MODMULT = '1' or innerState_out /=
FINISH_STATE) else
'0';

-- use Xilinx's template
combinational: process (innerState_out)
begin
if innerState_out = FINISH_STATE then
nextState <= innerState_out;
else
nextState <= innerState_out + 1;
end if;
end process;

sequential: process (CLK)
begin
if rising_edge(CLK) then
if RST_MODMULT = '1' then
innerState_out <= FINISH_STATE;
else
innerState_out <= nextState;
end if;
end if;
end process;

end RTL;

Mike Treseler

Taras_96 wrote:

> I have searched on groups and in google for an answer, and from that it
> looks like it has something to do with the subprogram 'write'. My best
> guess is that the waveform generator generates code that uses this
> subprogram, but I'm not sure. The VHDL code is shown below.

Consider learning how to write
your own vhdl testbench to run
directly on modelsim.
Here's an example to get
you started.

-- Mike Treseler

http://home.comcast.net/%7Emike_treseler/test_uart.vhd

Taras_96

Just wondering why this 'feature' of Xilnix doesn't work - it would be
quite useful for quickly testing a small bit of code. Oh well, I'll
have to write all of my testbenches I suppose