Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak DX6340 focusing

Kodak DX6340 focusing

Jim McQuillan

Just got a Kodak DX6340 digital camera and although the results are great
some of the time, there are too many occasions when the auto focus will not
lock on any thing.
I point at an object and half depress the shutter button and I get the
steady green light to say focus is locked. I also get the correct signals on
the focus screen (the brackets change to red) to say it is focussed, but I
can see on the screen that nothing is in focus.
If I take the shot, all I get is a big blur. Anyone else have this trouble
or is my camera faulty. Took it back to suppliers but they say theres
nothing wrong with it. When it does focus, the shots are great.
jimac

---

Ron Baird

Greetings Jim,

Yikes sorry to hear about your experience.

Actually, the camera is capable of sharp results all the time. I suspect
the problem you are having is related to the settings you have chosen, and
the lighting conditions - subject. What are the details of the exposure.
What settings were used? I will help you get great results with that
camera.

Ron Baird
Kodak

"Jim McQuillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wWxRa.11199$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got a Kodak DX6340 digital camera and although the results are great
> some of the time, there are too many occasions when the auto focus will

not
> lock on any thing.
> I point at an object and half depress the shutter button and I get the
> steady green light to say focus is locked. I also get the correct signals

on
> the focus screen (the brackets change to red) to say it is focussed, but I
> can see on the screen that nothing is in focus.
> If I take the shot, all I get is a big blur. Anyone else have this trouble
> or is my camera faulty. Took it back to suppliers but they say theres
> nothing wrong with it. When it does focus, the shots are great.
> jimac
>

> ---

Jim McQuillan

Thanks for prompt reply. Camera at the moment with PC World undergoing their
tests.
Tried it in numerous conditions, both indoors and outdoors. Most of my
trials have been in Auto mode as I will no doubt use it mostly as a point &
shoot.
Yesterday I was at the sea side in glorious weather conditions and couldn't
get a focus on buildings or shop fronts or even on the car as contrasty as
they are.
This does not happen all the time and it will suddenly snap into focus on a
subject and take a great picture.
When it is not performing, there is no movement or sound coming from the
auto focus.
Also it is almost impossible to see the screen in daylight unlike the Kodak
advert says so you can't focus by using the LCD screen. The camera is only 3
days old.
Regards. Jim
"Ron Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bf6e1r$2r3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings Jim,
>
> Yikes sorry to hear about your experience.
>
> Actually, the camera is capable of sharp results all the time. I suspect
> the problem you are having is related to the settings you have chosen, and
> the lighting conditions - subject. What are the details of the exposure.
> What settings were used? I will help you get great results with that
> camera.
>
> Ron Baird
> Kodak
>

> "Jim McQuillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wWxRa.11199$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just got a Kodak DX6340 digital camera and although the results are

great
> > some of the time, there are too many occasions when the auto focus will

> not
> > lock on any thing.
> > I point at an object and half depress the shutter button and I get the
> > steady green light to say focus is locked. I also get the correct

signals
> on
> > the focus screen (the brackets change to red) to say it is focussed, but

> > can see on the screen that nothing is in focus.
> > If I take the shot, all I get is a big blur. Anyone else have this

trouble
> > or is my camera faulty. Took it back to suppliers but they say theres
> > nothing wrong with it. When it does focus, the shots are great.
> > jimac
> >

> > ---

---

Fred

"Jim McQuillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<wWxRa.11199$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Just got a Kodak DX6340 digital camera and although the results are great
> some of the time, there are too many occasions when the auto focus will not
> lock on any thing.
> I point at an object and half depress the shutter button and I get the
> steady green light to say focus is locked. I also get the correct signals on
> the focus screen (the brackets change to red) to say it is focussed, but I
> can see on the screen that nothing is in focus.
> If I take the shot, all I get is a big blur. Anyone else have this trouble
> or is my camera faulty. Took it back to suppliers but they say theres
> nothing wrong with it. When it does focus, the shots are great.
> jimac

I've been using the DX6340 for 2 months and haven't seen this problem.
What kinds of shots have this problem? I've had occasions when focus
was on a near object even though the desired object was larger and
more central.In a case like that I've used the center zone focus
setting. (I wish a smaller spot focus was available, but that's the
way it is).