Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Who needs wide angle (28mm, not 35mm)

Who needs wide angle (28mm, not 35mm)

Sasha

Hi.

It looks like wide angle lenses (<35mm) are used mainly for real
estate and interior photography and I am not going to do it. A friend
tolds me that for nature photos I must have wide angle lenses
(e.g. 28mm) and usual 35mm is a bad choice. Is he right?

--
Regards,
ASK

bowser

Certain subject matter requires the use of wide angle lenses, no matter what
the description. Rest assured, the use of wide angle lenses is not limited
to real estate or architectural photography.

The subject matter dictates the focal length chosen, not the general
category of the shot. For what it's worth, I've done a ton of real estate
photography using telephotos. Sometimes, a house looks better when you back
off and capture it in it's setting.

"Sasha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> It looks like wide angle lenses (<35mm) are used mainly for real
> estate and interior photography and I am not going to do it. A friend
> tolds me that for nature photos I must have wide angle lenses
> (e.g. 28mm) and usual 35mm is a bad choice. Is he right?
>
> --
> Regards,
> ASK

John Navas

In <(E-Mail Removed)> on 17 Jul 2003 16:00:46 +0300,
Sasha <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It looks like wide angle lenses (<35mm) are used mainly for real
>estate and interior photography and I am not going to do it. A friend
>tolds me that for nature photos I must have wide angle lenses
>(e.g. 28mm) and usual 35mm is a bad choice. Is he right?

I personally find 28mm very useful, especially indoors. Likewise 24mm.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Jim Townsend

Sasha wrote:

> Hi.
>
> It looks like wide angle lenses (<35mm) are used mainly for real
> estate and interior photography and I am not going to do it. A friend
> tolds me that for nature photos I must have wide angle lenses
> (e.g. 28mm) and usual 35mm is a bad choice. Is he right?

I don't know about nature shots.. Wide angle tends to make things look farther
away than they really are. That's not what you'd want when photographing a
bird in a distant tree. The number one reason to have a wide angle lens for
nature would be to do landscapes.

I don't now about wide angle being a bad choice. Some people prefer it. But
any way you look at it, only you know how wide your lenses need to be.

Think back about all the pictures you've taken. How many times have you found
you couldn't fit everything in the viewfinder ? If it's happened a lot, you
probably need a wide angle lens to serve your shooting style. If it's never
happened, then go with the longer lens.

There's always the option of stitching two photos to give the same result if
you need it in a pinch.

David Chien

If you're doing nature and landscape shots, don't worry! The beauty of
digital cameras is that you can easily stich the images together into a
bigger (ie. same as a wider angle lens picture) picture using common
panoramic photo stiching programs.

www.panoguide.com

eg. If I swirl around from left to right and snap 3-4 pics, I can easily
match a super-wide 14mm 180 degree wide angle lens just by stiching
everything together.

---

But, if you're doing live action, you'll need the 28mm if you want to
use it.

Andy

"David Chien" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bf6qjc$dme$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you're doing nature and landscape shots, don't worry! The beauty of
> digital cameras is that you can easily stich the images together into a
> bigger (ie. same as a wider angle lens picture) picture using common
> panoramic photo stiching programs.
>
> www.panoguide.com
>
> eg. If I swirl around from left to right and snap 3-4 pics, I can easily
> match a super-wide 14mm 180 degree wide angle lens just by stiching
> everything together.
>
> ---
>
> But, if you're doing live action, you'll need the 28mm if you want to
> use it.

Hi David. By stiching pictures made by a wide angle lens You did not have a
perspective problem ? I think a "normal" lens should be used to make
panoramic pictures. Am I right ?

Jason O'Rourke

David Chien <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>If you're doing nature and landscape shots, don't worry! The beauty of
>digital cameras is that you can easily stich the images together into a
>bigger (ie. same as a wider angle lens picture) picture using common
>panoramic photo stiching programs.

you can do this, and get results that are a lot better than none at all.
My Canon has a built in mode for doing so that makes it easy to overlap
at a good accuracy. But...it's hardly the same, and of course results
in a very narrow aspect ratio. Stitching can show glitches too.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

Lionel

On 17 Jul 2003 16:00:46 +0300, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Sasha <(E-Mail Removed)>
said:

>Hi.
>
>It looks like wide angle lenses (<35mm) are used mainly for real
>estate and interior photography and I am not going to do it. A friend
>tolds me that for nature photos I must have wide angle lenses
>(e.g. 28mm) and usual 35mm is a bad choice. Is he right?

In a lot of cases, yes. As always, it depends totally on what you're
shooting. For example: I regularly shoot live bands on stage with my 10D
(1.6x factor vs 35mm film), & I almost exclusively use either a 28mm/1.8
prime, or a 20-35mm/2.8L zoom.

Hans-Georg Michna

Sasha <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It looks like wide angle lenses (<35mm) are used mainly for real
>estate and interior photography and I am not going to do it. A friend
>tolds me that for nature photos I must have wide angle lenses
>(e.g. 28mm) and usual 35mm is a bad choice. Is he right?

No, I don't think I've ever needed a wide angle lens for nature
photos, except in one extreme case where I wanted to have both
the river deep down in a canyon and the mountains on the horizon
in the same photograph.

But I do use a wide angle lens for two purposes. One is photos
similar to the one described above, where I want something in
the immediate foreground or actually on the ground in the
picture along with something farther away.

The other is photographing people, for example in a market or
sitting around a table, like when playing a board game,
particularly when these people should not know they are being
photographed. I point the camera at the table and take a photo
with all the people around.

28 mm doesn't cut it though. 24 mm was my best compromise. I
would like 20, but the 20 mm lenses are a lot bigger and more
expensive already.

One word of warning. Beginners often think that they need a wide
angle lens to get everything into the picture. This is only
rarely true. In most cases where a beginner wants to have
everything in the picture it is actually better or at least
sufficient to just have a part of the motive in the picture.
What you gain in width, you lose in depth.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sasha <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>It looks like wide angle lenses (<35mm) are used mainly for real
>estate and interior photography and I am not going to do it. A friend
>tolds me that for nature photos I must have wide angle lenses
>(e.g. 28mm) and usual 35mm is a bad choice. Is he right?

It depends what aspects of nature you are after. If you are after
individual flora or fauna, you will rarely have any use for a wide-angle
lens. You will use mainly telephoto and macro. If you like shooting
scenery, then the wider lenses will see more use.
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>