Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > EOS 10D power-on delay question

EOS 10D power-on delay question

Si

How long does it take an EOS D10 to become ready to take photos from
the instant of switching on? Presumably there will be some boot-up
time as the camera runs through self tests and things.

Cheers
Si
- -
Porirua, NZ
Spamblocked address - do the obvious
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepeneur" - George W Bush

MarkH

Si <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> How long does it take an EOS D10 to become ready to take photos from
> the instant of switching on? Presumably there will be some boot-up
> time as the camera runs through self tests and things.

It does have a delay of 2.3 seconds. I never really notice it though.
Whenever I take my 10D out of the bag I turn it on and put the neck strap
over my head, then I bring the camera to my eye and it is ready to go. I
donít turn it off until I am putting it back into the bag. Being on
continuously for a few hours wont completely flatten the battery.

If you are in a situation where you want to take a photo in a split second,
have the camera turned on and in your hand ready to go, then all you need
to do is bring it up to your eye and click.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Si> How long does it take an EOS D10 to become ready to take photos from
Si> the instant of switching on? Presumably there will be some boot-up
Si> time as the camera runs through self tests and things.

About 2 seconds.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.photo.digital...)

Pat Chaney

On 17/7/03 1:36 pm, "MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It does have a delay of 2.3 seconds. I never really notice it though.
> Whenever I take my 10D out of the bag I turn it on and put the neck strap
> over my head, then I bring the camera to my eye and it is ready to go. I
> donít turn it off until I am putting it back into the bag. Being on
> continuously for a few hours wont completely flatten the battery.

I've found that with auto-power off enabled the 10D start-up delay does
become rather annoying after a while.

What I don't really understand is why it would draw enough power when idle
to warrant powering it down. What on earth would it be doing apart from
keeping the electronics ticking over?

Pat
--
Photos at:
http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGalle...ll&AcctID=1251

MarkH

Pat Chaney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:BB3ECA8D.36E31%(E-Mail Removed):

> I've found that with auto-power off enabled the 10D start-up delay
> does become rather annoying after a while.
>
> What I don't really understand is why it would draw enough power when
> idle to warrant powering it down. What on earth would it be doing
> apart from keeping the electronics ticking over?

It doesnít draw much at all. Thatís why I changed my auto-power off to 30
minutes, that way it never turns itself off unless I forget to myself.

I might have to set the auto-power off to never and see how long the
battery will power the camera on idle, unless someone else has already done
that test and could post their results.

So far I rarely flatten one battery in a day, and I have never flattened 2.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Lionel

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:00:01 +0000 (UTC), in
<bfb8bg$igp$(E-Mail Removed)>, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>Pat Chaney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:BB3ECA8D.36E31%(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I've found that with auto-power off enabled the 10D start-up delay
>> does become rather annoying after a while.
>>
>> What I don't really understand is why it would draw enough power when
>> idle to warrant powering it down. What on earth would it be doing
>> apart from keeping the electronics ticking over?

>It doesnít draw much at all. Thatís why I changed my auto-power off to 30
>minutes, that way it never turns itself off unless I forget to myself.

Yes, I set mine for 15 minutes, or 30 if I'm doing complicated night
shots where I'm waiting for the right light, clouds, etc.

>I might have to set the auto-power off to never and see how long the
>battery will power the camera on idle, unless someone else has already done
>that test and could post their results.

If you turn off powersave completely, the battery indicator will show it
being low after a few hours or so. (This is very approximate, because
I've only ever done it by accident, when I've turned off powersave while
trying to get the &^@%#$!#! USB drivers to work.

>So far I rarely flatten one battery in a day, and I have never flattened 2.

Same here.

Randall Ainsworth

> I've found that with auto-power off enabled the 10D start-up delay does
> become rather annoying after a while.

One of the first "features" I turned off.

Randall Ainsworth

> I might have to set the auto-power off to never and see how long the
> battery will power the camera on idle, unless someone else has already done
> that test and could post their results.

I've left the camera turned on overnight on purpose (to drain the
batteries). Fully charged, you can leave it on overnight with no
problems. Don't leave the review screen on though.

Pat Chaney

On 19/7/03 12:00 pm, "MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It doesnít draw much at all. Thatís why I changed my auto-power off to 30
> minutes, that way it never turns itself off unless I forget to myself.
>
> I might have to set the auto-power off to never and see how long the
> battery will power the camera on idle, unless someone else has already done
> that test and could post their results.
>
> So far I rarely flatten one battery in a day, and I have never flattened 2.

It seems that the default of 1 minute for the auto-power off is
inappropriate then. I think I'll set mine to 30 mins too.

Pat
--
Photos at:
http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGalle...ll&AcctID=1251

Randall Ainsworth

I turned it off because it serves no useful purpose. Although I may
be in the twilight years of my life, I can still remember to turn the
camera on and off.

Besides, I could envision a scenario where I'd be doing something and
the thing would shut off on it's own at an inopportune moment.