Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printing resolution question

Printing resolution question

Neale

I am planning some still life studio shots which will be reproduced in a
brochure, printed on a traditional 4 color press. Is digital resolution an
issue here, or will the printing stage be the limiting factor with regard to
detail?

Rafe B.

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:09:39 +0100, "Neale"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am planning some still life studio shots which will be reproduced in a
>brochure, printed on a traditional 4 color press. Is digital resolution an
>issue here, or will the printing stage be the limiting factor with regard to
>detail?

Ask the printer or service provider how best to prepare the
image. Is this a digicam image, or from a film scan? Or is
it a print made by purely "analog" means?

In the latter case there's no real problem, unless there will
be significant magnification between your original and the
print size.

If your original is a digital capture or film scan, you need
to consider the printed size, the line screen that will be
used for printing, and the size of your original.

But again -- the best bet is to discuss all this with the
printer or the service provider that's putting together
your brochure.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Paul Worden

You need 250-300 ppi at the image size for publication. Ask the printer what
format - TIFF is common.

If you supply a print, I advise double the size of the finished art and
slightly less contrasty than for a display print.

Paul W