Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Olympus D560 Digital Camera

Re: Olympus D560 Digital Camera

Bill

I am new to Digital Photography and recently purchased an Olympus D560
camera. The camera operates at the following resolutions:

(1) SHQ 2048x1536
(2) HQ 2048x1536
(3) SQ1 1024x768
(4) SQ2 640x480

How is the SHQ different than the HQ mode as the resolutions are both
2048x1536. With a 16 MB card the camera can take only 6 photos in the SHQ
mode and 20 in the HQ mode. I would appreciate any information.

Bill

Brian Carlin

"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<9NnRa.474847$(E-Mail Removed) .ca>...
> I am new to Digital Photography and recently purchased an Olympus D560
> camera. The camera operates at the following resolutions:
>
> (1) SHQ 2048x1536
> (2) HQ 2048x1536
> (3) SQ1 1024x768
> (4) SQ2 640x480
>
> How is the SHQ different than the HQ mode as the resolutions are both
> 2048x1536.

The camera's computer chip compresses the image into smaller JPEG
files. Compressing JPEG files loses detail in the image. SHQ does
only minimal compression to the file to keep as much detail as
possible. HQ does much more compression to make a smaller file, but
that loses more detail in the image. So they are the same size
images, but the SHQ image is more true to what the camera saw. Hope
that makes sense.