Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > LCD protector film

LCD protector film

actually, one more question.
Do you notice any decrease in screen visibility in sunny conditions?

"Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsSERa.1811$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hrm, these 'da protector LCD protectors...what kind of adhesive do they

> use?
> > will it be hard to clean?
> >

> <snip>
>
> The adhesive is already on the plastic shield, along the edges of one

side.
> You just peel off the protective film from that side and apply the

protector
> on the camera. The adhesive is goes on the camera body around the screen,
> not on the screen itself. I've never had reason to remove the plastic, so

> don't know how hard it would be to remove the adhesive in that case. If

you
> get finger prints on the plastic, you can clean it with some glass cleaner
> on a Kleenex. The plastic resists scratching quite well.

Splitpair

When the camera is not in my hands I carry it with the lens toward my body.
Long story short some rude puppy mother pushing through a line at Busch
Gardens crunched her purse into my 10D making a small but noticeable scratch
in the plastic cover of the LCD screen. That was enough for me. To make a
protector for my Canon 10D I purchased a 1 foot square sheet of 1/16" Lexan
and cut out a few 40mm X 47mm blanks polished the edges and applied a 5mm
square ring of 3M double side adhesive to it. The Lexan is quite tough glare
free and if it ever does get scratched the double side adhesive can be
forced to release with a carefully applied Xacto knife making replacement
easy.

SP

"Dave Martindale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bf4rq9$6df$(E-Mail Removed)...

> It would make sense for someone to make a screen protector with a good
> anti-reflection coating, but I've never heard of one.
>
> Dave

Randall Ainsworth

> actually, one more question.
> Do you notice any decrease in screen visibility in sunny conditions?

No, but then they could take the review screen off the camera and for
the most part I wouldn't miss it.

where did you get this Lexan?
because my water bottle from Nalgene is made from that and it's very
durable.

"Splitpair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6D_Ra.2858$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...
> When the camera is not in my hands I carry it with the lens toward my

body.
> Long story short some rude puppy mother pushing through a line at Busch
> Gardens crunched her purse into my 10D making a small but noticeable

scratch
> in the plastic cover of the LCD screen. That was enough for me. To make a
> protector for my Canon 10D I purchased a 1 foot square sheet of 1/16"

Lexan
> and cut out a few 40mm X 47mm blanks polished the edges and applied a 5mm
> square ring of 3M double side adhesive to it. The Lexan is quite tough

glare
> free and if it ever does get scratched the double side adhesive can be
> forced to release with a carefully applied Xacto knife making replacement
> easy.
>
> SP
>

> "Dave Martindale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bf4rq9$6df$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > It would make sense for someone to make a screen protector with a good
> > anti-reflection coating, but I've never heard of one.
> >
> > Dave

Splitpair

Local shop that sells plastic sheeting. It cost $5 + tax for a 12"x12"
sheet.

SP
"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k53Sa.24733$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> where did you get this Lexan?
> because my water bottle from Nalgene is made from that and it's very
> durable.
>
> "Splitpair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6D_Ra.2858$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...
> > When the camera is not in my hands I carry it with the lens toward my

> body.
> > Long story short some rude puppy mother pushing through a line at Busch
> > Gardens crunched her purse into my 10D making a small but noticeable

> scratch
> > in the plastic cover of the LCD screen. That was enough for me. To make

> > protector for my Canon 10D I purchased a 1 foot square sheet of 1/16"

> Lexan
> > and cut out a few 40mm X 47mm blanks polished the edges and applied a

5mm
> > square ring of 3M double side adhesive to it. The Lexan is quite tough

> glare
> > free and if it ever does get scratched the double side adhesive can be
> > forced to release with a carefully applied Xacto knife making

replacement
> > easy.
> >
> > SP
> >

> > "Dave Martindale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bf4rq9$6df$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > > It would make sense for someone to make a screen protector with a good
> > > anti-reflection coating, but I've never heard of one.
> > >
> > > Dave

thanks! I'll have to find a place that sells it. I know Wallmart sells
vinyl sheets but I don't know about Lexan.

"Splitpair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:s_9Sa.1657$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...
> Local shop that sells plastic sheeting. It cost $5 + tax for a 12"x12"
> sheet.
>
> SP
> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k53Sa.24733$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > where did you get this Lexan?
> > because my water bottle from Nalgene is made from that and it's very
> > durable.
> >
> > "Splitpair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:6D_Ra.2858$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...
> > > When the camera is not in my hands I carry it with the lens toward my

> > body.
> > > Long story short some rude puppy mother pushing through a line at

Busch
> > > Gardens crunched her purse into my 10D making a small but noticeable

> > scratch
> > > in the plastic cover of the LCD screen. That was enough for me. To

make
> > > protector for my Canon 10D I purchased a 1 foot square sheet of 1/16"

> > Lexan
> > > and cut out a few 40mm X 47mm blanks polished the edges and applied a

> 5mm
> > > square ring of 3M double side adhesive to it. The Lexan is quite tough

> > glare
> > > free and if it ever does get scratched the double side adhesive can be
> > > forced to release with a carefully applied Xacto knife making

> replacement
> > > easy.
> > >
> > > SP
> > >

> > > "Dave Martindale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bf4rq9$6df$(E-Mail Removed)...

good

Dave Martindale

"Splitpair" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>To make a
>protector for my Canon 10D I purchased a 1 foot square sheet of 1/16" Lexan
>and cut out a few 40mm X 47mm blanks polished the edges and applied a 5mm
>square ring of 3M double side adhesive to it. The Lexan is quite tough glare
>free and if it ever does get scratched the double side adhesive can be
>forced to release with a carefully applied Xacto knife making replacement
>easy.

Where did you find Lexan with an anti-reflection coating on it?

Lexan is easy enough to find, but it's normally uncoated, and reflects
about as much as uncoated glass (4% per surface).

Dave

Marvin Margoshes

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7l_Ra.17194$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> actually, one more question.
> Do you notice any decrease in screen visibility in sunny conditions?

I haven't made a direct comparison, which would mean taking the protector
off, I guess. In general, I have a hard time seeing the LCD display in
sunlight, before I put on thee shiled and now. I've thought about a light
shield for the LCD, but it seems rather clumsy.

> "Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > newsSERa.1811$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > hrm, these 'da protector LCD protectors...what kind of adhesive do

they
> > use?
> > > will it be hard to clean?
> > >

> > <snip>
> >
> > The adhesive is already on the plastic shield, along the edges of one

> side.
> > You just peel off the protective film from that side and apply the

> protector
> > on the camera. The adhesive is goes on the camera body around the

screen,
> > not on the screen itself. I've never had reason to remove the plastic,

so
> > don't know how hard it would be to remove the adhesive in that case. If

> you
> > get finger prints on the plastic, you can clean it with some glass

cleaner
> > on a Kleenex. The plastic resists scratching quite well.

Splitpair

It's not special Lexan however it has no more glare than the factory plastic
over the LCD.

SP

"Dave Martindale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfc2vg$eli$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Splitpair" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >To make a
> >protector for my Canon 10D I purchased a 1 foot square sheet of 1/16"

Lexan
> >and cut out a few 40mm X 47mm blanks polished the edges and applied a 5mm
> >square ring of 3M double side adhesive to it. The Lexan is quite tough

glare
> >free and if it ever does get scratched the double side adhesive can be
> >forced to release with a carefully applied Xacto knife making replacement
> >easy.

> Where did you find Lexan with an anti-reflection coating on it?
>
> Lexan is easy enough to find, but it's normally uncoated, and reflects
> about as much as uncoated glass (4% per surface).
>
> Dave

thanks!
I'm just worried that if I put one of those plastic LCD protectors, my LCD
will be hard to see.
Right now, my S230 has the anti-reflective coating and in sunlight it's
still visible!