Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > LCD protector film

LCD protector film

Mike Fuller

Just wondering if there's any problems with using the LCD protectors on
digicams (ie with adhesive etc) and whether they really protect from
scratches.

Thanks,

Mike

Joseph Meehan

Sure they help protect from scratches. I could also wear a hard hat all
day to protect me from falling leaves. Someday the hard hat might be
useful, but I don't bother. I do bother with a helmet on my motorcycle. I
don't bother with a "protective" filter for my lenses.

It will degrade the image a little (at least in my experience) but not a
lot. If it makes you fell better or if you have some special need (like
protection from squirrels dropping nuts on your head) then do it. It is not
likely to hurt.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Mike Fuller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BB3C075C.10B83%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just wondering if there's any problems with using the LCD protectors on
> digicams (ie with adhesive etc) and whether they really protect from
> scratches.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Randall Ainsworth

I use acetate stuff like what's used for static window decals. It's
cheap and sticks with no gunk.

Dave Martindale

Mike Fuller <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Just wondering if there's any problems with using the LCD protectors on
>digicams (ie with adhesive etc) and whether they really protect from
>scratches.

Canon digicams have *really good* anti-reflection coatings on their LCD
screens, which allow using the screen in fairly bright ambient light.
A normal "screen protector" film has no anti-reflection coating on it,
and reflects several times as much light as the Canon screen's coating.
If the environment is not completely black, this will cause shadow areas
in the image to have glare and unwanted reflections on the protector
that would be nearly invisible with the unprotected screen.
Essentially, the screen protector reflects as much light as an uncoated
filter, and it isn't completely flat either.

So you have to choose between better mechanical protection for your
screen, and better image quality on the LCD.

It would make sense for someone to make a screen protector with a good
anti-reflection coating, but I've never heard of one.

Dave

Marvin Margoshes

"Mike Fuller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BB3C075C.10B83%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just wondering if there's any problems with using the LCD protectors on
> digicams (ie with adhesive etc) and whether they really protect from
> scratches.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Thin plastic shhets have some value. The solid plastic covers (from
www.daproducts.com) are better. Olympus puts similar solid plastic
protectors on some of their digicams, but not all.

hrm, these 'da protector LCD protectors...what kind of adhesive do they use?
will it be hard to clean?

"Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mike Fuller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:BB3C075C.10B83%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just wondering if there's any problems with using the LCD protectors on
> > digicams (ie with adhesive etc) and whether they really protect from
> > scratches.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Thin plastic shhets have some value. The solid plastic covers (from
> www.daproducts.com) are better. Olympus puts similar solid plastic
> protectors on some of their digicams, but not all.

Randall Ainsworth

That's why I use acetate material like what is used for static cling
decals...no gunk. And it keeps fingerprints and boogers off the
screen.

Do your acetates actually stay on the LCD? I've tried buying some vinyl
sheets, they have fingerprints all over them and it's hard to cut it and put
it on the screen w/o fingerprints!

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:170720031551484294%(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's why I use acetate material like what is used for static cling
> decals...no gunk. And it keeps fingerprints and boogers off the
> screen.

Randall Ainsworth

Years ago I bought some sheets at Staples, planning to print some
decals on the computer. Never did print 'em, but they're designed to
go through a printer.
You'll have to squeegee (gently) the bubbles out, but mine's been on
there almost 2 months with no problems.

Marvin Margoshes

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsSERa.1811$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hrm, these 'da protector LCD protectors...what kind of adhesive do they

use?
> will it be hard to clean?

<snip>

The adhesive is already on the plastic shield, along the edges of one side.
You just peel off the protective film from that side and apply the protector
on the camera. The adhesive is goes on the camera body around the screen,
not on the screen itself. I've never had reason to remove the plastic, so I
don't know how hard it would be to remove the adhesive in that case. If you
get finger prints on the plastic, you can clean it with some glass cleaner
on a Kleenex. The plastic resists scratching quite well.