Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Scanning Resolution

Scanning Resolution

Jako

Hi, recently I have scanned a 4R photo into my PC and then sent the file for
digital print. But, the photo developed didn't turn out as good as the
original. Btw, the scanning is done at 300dpi, does that mean that the
higher the dpi, the better the photo being developed, if that's the case,
what will be the so-call ideal dpi setting, ie. 600dpi ? Next, if I wanted
to enlarge from 4R to let say 6R or 8R, what will be the minimum dpi setting
like and how is this being calculated. Thks in advance for all the help !

Jason O'Rourke

Jako <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi, recently I have scanned a 4R photo into my PC and then sent the file for
>digital print. But, the photo developed didn't turn out as good as the
>original. Btw, the scanning is done at 300dpi, does that mean that the

If you scanned the print, rather than the negative, you're bound to lose
a lot of quality. You're printing a copy of the original, and many feel
that prints top out at 200dpi of detail, in addition to a lower dynamic
range compared to the original source.

OTOH, I've have decent results scanning 5x7" and 8x10" prints and then
making 4x6" ones off my photo printer.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

Robert E. Williams

Jako wrote:

> Hi, recently I have scanned a 4R photo into my PC and then sent the file for
> digital print. But, the photo developed didn't turn out as good as the
> original. Btw, the scanning is done at 300dpi, does that mean that the
> higher the dpi, the better the photo being developed, if that's the case,
> what will be the so-call ideal dpi setting, ie. 600dpi ? Next, if I wanted
> to enlarge from 4R to let say 6R or 8R, what will be the minimum dpi setting
> like and how is this being calculated. Thks in advance for all the help !

300 dpi is a good resolution for making a 1:1 print.
Ordinarily, it doesn't make much (any?) difference if you scan a print at more
than 300 dpi, because that is all the image information that most prints
contain. If you are trying to make an enlargement from your print, it will not
be as good quality as the original regardless of the dpi you use to scan the
image.
Bob Williams