Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > When to use a very small aperture

When to use a very small aperture

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

My camera will go to 22 but I am not sure when one would want to use
that small an aperture. It seems like most people range between 2.8
and 8.0. When would you use a 22, 16 or another high number?

Don Coon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My camera will go to 22 but I am not sure when one would want to use
> that small an aperture. It seems like most people range between 2.8
> and 8.0. When would you use a 22, 16 or another high number?

When you have enough light to allow a fast enough shutter speed and you want
a deep depth-of-field.

Jim Townsend

> My camera will go to 22 but I am not sure when one would want to use
> that small an aperture. It seems like most people range between 2.8
> and 8.0. When would you use a 22, 16 or another high number?

Hmmm.. Have you tried actually setting your camera to f22 and taking a picture
to actually SEE what it does ???

You can use f22:

If there is so much light your max shutter speed isn't fast enough to prevent
overexposure.

If you want the shutter open for a longer time in bright light.. Say to blur a
waterfall.

If I want a large depth of field... (Everything up close and far away is in
focus).

If you want some distortion from light diffusion through the teeny weenie
opening.

What camera DO you have that stops down to f22 ?.. Apart from SLR's, (where
aperture adjustments occur in the lens), few digicams go much past f11.

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:13:32 -0500, Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> My camera will go to 22 but I am not sure when one would want to use
>> that small an aperture. It seems like most people range between 2.8
>> and 8.0. When would you use a 22, 16 or another high number?

>Hmmm.. Have you tried actually setting your camera to f22 and taking a picture
>to actually SEE what it does ???
>
>You can use f22:
>
>If there is so much light your max shutter speed isn't fast enough to prevent
>overexposure.
>
>If you want the shutter open for a longer time in bright light.. Say to blur a
>waterfall.
>
>If I want a large depth of field... (Everything up close and far away is in
>focus).
>
>If you want some distortion from light diffusion through the teeny weenie
>opening.
>

>What camera DO you have that stops down to f22 ?.. Apart from SLR's, (where
>aperture adjustments occur in the lens), few digicams go much past f11.

10D, but I don't have to go to f22 to get good DOF.

Jim Townsend

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:13:32 -0500, Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>
>>What camera DO you have that stops down to f22 ?.. Apart from SLR's, (where
>>aperture adjustments occur in the lens), few digicams go much past f11.
>>

> 10D, but I don't have to go to f22 to get good DOF.

Obviously you haven't done much closeup/macro photography. You've gotta
struggle for every millimiter of DOF then. Especially at longer focal lengths.

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:50:49 -0500, Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:13:32 -0500, Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>What camera DO you have that stops down to f22 ?.. Apart from SLR's, (where
>>>aperture adjustments occur in the lens), few digicams go much past f11.
>>>

>> 10D, but I don't have to go to f22 to get good DOF.

>Obviously you haven't done much closeup/macro photography. You've gotta
>struggle for every millimiter of DOF then. Especially at longer focal lengths.

No, not much

Kenwood

Here's a link to a depth of field calculator. Not only does the F stop
determine DOF, so does the focal length.

http://www.shuttercity.com/DOF.cfm

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My camera will go to 22 but I am not sure when one would want to use
> that small an aperture. It seems like most people range between 2.8
> and 8.0. When would you use a 22, 16 or another high number?

Winston

Don Stauffer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> But you would get an even greater DOF if you do.
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >

> > 10D, but I don't have to go to f22 to get good DOF.

If you have a point and shoot digicam, in 99% of your photos, you
won't notice a difference between f2.8 & f22. It appears that
"everything" is in focus whether you want it or not. You would need a
digicam with interchangeable lenses to reduce your DOF.