Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Which Format to save JPG (NIKON CoolPix 5700)

Re: Which Format to save JPG (NIKON CoolPix 5700)

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:43:54 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Werner
Spreeuwenberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Attached are a photo I've taken using a Nikon Coolpix 5700 camera. The photo
>was taken with the settings FINE and UXGA. In the properties it is described
>as : JPEG (8-bit) Fine.

Please do not attach binaries to non-binary groups such as r.p.d. If the
group name itself doesn't contain binaries, it's most likely against the
groups' charter.

>But, when I mail this to friends with 'somewhat' outdated PC's they can't
>seem to open the image. What should my settings be when I save the file to
>correct thisd problem?

You'll need to delve into your friend's problem a bit deeper. There is
nothing non-standard about the jpgs created by the 5700. I've never had a
problem with any jpgs taken with my 990 or 5700 on any machine, even my
ancient Pentium-166. Are you sure your friend's PC has an image
viewer/editor application installed and the jpg extension is associated
with it? A good free one is Irfanview available at http://www.irfanview.com
who's author is gracious enough to allow the user to associate file
extensions themselves instead of grabbings them without warning as many and
all Microsoft apps do.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam