Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Scanning Photos for Reprints

Scanning Photos for Reprints

PEmpson181

I have some 4 x 6 photos that I want to scan and upload to a photo website so I
can order additional 4 x 6 prints. What resolution should I use for scanning
the prints? What about resizing? Will 800 x 600 pixels give satisfactory
results for this size print? Since I have a lot of them to upload, I want the
size of each file to be reasonable for uploading as I have a dial-up modem.

Pat

HRosita

>PEmpson181 wrote:

>What resolution should I use for scanning
>the prints? What about resizing? Will 800 x 600 pixels give satisfactory
>results for this size print?

Why don't you ask the place where you want to print what minimum resolution
they require?
According to my calculations, 800x600 Pixel will give you about 130 Pixel per
inch for a 4x6.
I would not print with less that 200 and even that is streching it..

Rosita

Jim Townsend

PEmpson181 wrote:

> I have some 4 x 6 photos that I want to scan and upload to a photo website so
> can order additional 4 x 6 prints. What resolution should I use for scanning
> the prints? What about resizing? Will 800 x 600 pixels give satisfactory
> results for this size print? Since I have a lot of them to upload, I want
> the size of each file to be reasonable for uploading as I have a dial-up
> modem.

800 x 600 will be a bit on the rough side.. Also, you can't get those pixel
dimensions.. The aspect ratio for a 6x4 print is 3:2.. 800 x 600 is 4:3.
(In other words, they're different sized rectangles).

Ideally you want 300 dpi.. (This is a rule-of-thumb, not hard and fast law).
I assume you're scanning the prints and not negatives..

In that case, with your scanner at 300 dpi, you'll get 1800 x 1200 images.. A
bit over 2 megapixles. Saved as JPEG's with a some compression, the images
should be under a Megabyte each..

I've had images this size printed on photopaper and the results were great.

Of course, if you want to enlarge your shots, increase your dpi.. If you want
your 6x4 image printed at 12 x 8, scan your 6x4's at 600 DPI. That will still
net you 300 dpi @ 12 x 8.

Lots of good reading here:

http://www.scantips.com/

Bob Hatch

"PEmpson181" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have some 4 x 6 photos that I want to scan and upload to a photo website

so I
> can order additional 4 x 6 prints. What resolution should I use for

scanning
> the prints? What about resizing? Will 800 x 600 pixels give satisfactory
> results for this size print? Since I have a lot of them to upload, I want

the
> size of each file to be reasonable for uploading as I have a dial-up

modem.

> Pat

Why not just use the original negative or digital file?
--
http://www.bobhatch.com
Our web site about RV Stuff

Jeff the Dentist

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (PEmpson181) WROTE:

>I have some 4 x 6 photos that I want to scan and upload to a photo website so I
>can order additional 4 x 6 prints. What resolution should I use for scanning
>the prints? What about resizing? Will 800 x 600 pixels give satisfactory
>results for this size print? Since I have a lot of them to upload, I want the
>size of each file to be reasonable for uploading as I have a dial-up modem.

I'd double the resolution, 1600 x 1200, is the output of 2 MP cameras.
Should get good 4x6 prints.

Do you have a local printing option like Sams, Costco or Kmart?

Jeff

Don Coon

"Jeff the Dentist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) (PEmpson181) WROTE:
>
> >I have some 4 x 6 photos that I want to scan and upload to a photo

website so I
> >can order additional 4 x 6 prints. What resolution should I use for

scanning
> >the prints? What about resizing? Will 800 x 600 pixels give

satisfactory
> >results for this size print? Since I have a lot of them to upload, I

want the
> >size of each file to be reasonable for uploading as I have a dial-up

modem.

> I'd double the resolution, 1600 x 1200, is the output of 2 MP cameras.
> Should get good 4x6 prints.

Uh, try a 3:2 ratio if you're scanning 6x4s for 6x4 printing. 1600x1200 =
4:3. You might consider scanning somewhat higher to allow for some cropping
and still be in the 240 to 300 ppi range.

> Do you have a local printing option like Sams, Costco or Kmart?
>

> Jeff

Lionel

On 15 Jul 2003 22:39:38 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)et
(HRosita) said:

>According to my calculations, 800x600 Pixel will give you about 130 Pixel per
>inch for a 4x6.
>I would not print with less that 200 and even that is streching it..

I get consistantly good results on the Frontiers with 180 PPI, but I'm a
lot more comfortable with more, of course.

Andrew McDonald

PEmpson181 wrote:
> I have some 4 x 6 photos that I want to scan and upload to a photo website so I
> can order additional 4 x 6 prints. What resolution should I use for scanning
> the prints? What about resizing? Will 800 x 600 pixels give satisfactory
> results for this size print? Since I have a lot of them to upload, I want the
> size of each file to be reasonable for uploading as I have a dial-up modem.

I upload at 1200x1800 for 4x6 reprints and have been happy with the
results. File sizes with compression set at 80 in Irfanview result in a
couple hundred KB per file whis is pretty reasonable for dial-up connection.