Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: How do I get a photo CD?

Re: How do I get a photo CD?

David

I think you can put the viewing software from a Kodak cd onto your computer,
and replace the images that the lab put in the dir with another set.

Myles

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:12:20 GMT, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I think you can put the viewing software from a Kodak cd onto your computer,
>and replace the images that the lab put in the dir with another set.

Yes the Kodak software can be put on hard disk --- seems to do this
for you automatically BUT if you then launch from the hard disk it
asks for the Kodak CD to be put in CD drive and if you do that then
you get slide show for the jpgs on the CD . Now this CD is a CD ROM
so I am not sure how to get around this . Ideally I would like to
replace the jpgs on the Kodak CD with another set of jpegs of my own
choice .

Any thoughts ?

Charlie

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:11:17 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Myles) wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:12:20 GMT, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I think you can put the viewing software from a Kodak cd onto your computer,
>>and replace the images that the lab put in the dir with another set.
>>

>Yes the Kodak software can be put on hard disk --- seems to do this
>for you automatically BUT if you then launch from the hard disk it
>asks for the Kodak CD to be put in CD drive and if you do that then
>you get slide show for the jpgs on the CD . Now this CD is a CD ROM
>so I am not sure how to get around this . Ideally I would like to
>replace the jpgs on the Kodak CD with another set of jpegs of my own
>choice .
>
>Any thoughts ?

If all you want is to put together a collection of JPEG images and
then show them as a slideshow, you don't need any Kodak software for
that. There are a lot of different (free) software programs that will
help you create the slideshow. I recommend you try the one by Ed
Hamrick available at http://www.hamrick.com/arc.html called vueslide.
He also has information on how to make that CD autorun the slideshow
when the CD is inserted in the drive.

--
Charlie Hoffpauir
If you really want to reply via email, my valid

HRosita

H>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Ideally I would like to
>replace the jpgs on the Kodak CD with another set of jpegs of my own
>choice .

I don't think the Kodak CD is rewritable so I doubt that you can add your
pictures to it.
You might try copying your pictures and inserting the CD with your pictures and
see if the KodaK software reads it.
Rosita

John Jones

On 15 Jul 2003 17:13:59 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)et (HRosita) wrote:

>I don't think the Kodak CD is rewritable so I doubt that you can add your
>pictures to it.

While the Photo CD's you normally get when you drop your photos off at
a drugstore or the like are NOT rewriteable, as you say, I'm pretty
sure I have heard of Photo CD's that can have additional "sessions"
added to them. Might have to deal with a custom color lab or the like
to get those.

John Jones, Detroit

David

Not mine, I did a copy to a dir on a haed drive and deleated the Kodak pics,
then put mine in the dir and it runs fine. It does not ask for the disk, it
is not an intilation.

Yes the Kodak software can be put on hard disk --- seems to do this
for you automatically BUT if you then launch from the hard disk it
asks for the Kodak CD to be put in CD drive and if you do that then
you get slide show for the jpgs on the CD . Now this CD is a CD ROM
so I am not sure how to get around this . Ideally I would like to
replace the jpgs on the Kodak CD with another set of jpegs of my own
choice .

Toivo Voll

John Jones wrote:
> On 15 Jul 2003 17:13:59 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)et (HRosita) wrote:
>
>>I don't think the Kodak CD is rewritable so I doubt that you can add your
>>pictures to it.

> While the Photo CD's you normally get when you drop your photos off at
> a drugstore or the like are NOT rewriteable, as you say, I'm pretty
> sure I have heard of Photo CD's that can have additional "sessions"
> added to them. Might have to deal with a custom color lab or the like
> to get those.

You get PictureCDs from your local drugstore. They're cheap and often
atrocious quality, with or without the Kodak logo. You get PhotoCDs from
professional labs. They're good and expensive, have their pictures
in a special photoCD format, and can have pictures added to them later.
Two different products!

Toivo

PZuehlke

I think Costco does scans to photo cd, cheap. Don't know about the quality.

James Smith

Adobe's new Adobe Photoshop Album will make photo CDs as well as DVDs.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photos.../overview.html

news:(E-Mail Removed)...