Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > canon 10D and 540EZ flash

canon 10D and 540EZ flash

kd6nt@hotmail.com

My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a 540EZ. I
know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will there be any use
manual, semi,...with the 10D?

I will experiment, but thought if some one else has already coverd this
topic, I'd have a head start.

Al Schmidt

Mark B.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a 540EZ. I
> know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will there be any

use
> manual, semi,...with the 10D?
>
> I will experiment, but thought if some one else has already coverd this
> topic, I'd have a head start.
>
> Al Schmidt

Manual ONLY - zoom and power levels. There will be no auto-anything with
the 10D and an EZ flash.

Mark

Robertwgross

Al wrote:
>My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a 540EZ. I
>know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will there be any use
>manual, semi,...with the 10D?
>
>I will experiment, but thought if some one else has already coverd this
>topic, I'd have a head start.

That line of EOS digital cameras must have a flash with the EX suffix. The
earlier line of EOS film cameras would use flashes with EZ. There is a big
difference between the flash modes of film versus digital cameras, so the only
way that you shoot is to use the 540EZ and the camera in manual mode, or switch
to the 550EX or 420EX and shoot E-TTL like is intended.

A film camera can have a detector that sees the light bouncing off the film
after the mirror has flipped up. However, a digital camera has no film, so it
can't use the same methods.

---Bob Gross---

Michael Quack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a 540EZ. I
> know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will there be any use
> manual, semi,...with the 10D?

In short: nope.

--
Michael Quack <(E-Mail Removed)>

http://www.photoquack.de/glamour/1.htm
http://www.photoquack.de/fashion/1.htm

Paul Repacholi

Michael Quack <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>> My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a
>> 540EZ. I know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will
>> there be any use manual, semi,...with the 10D?

> In short: nope.

So if you have a mix of older, say EOS-1, 100, 500, and newer
10D and 1V, you can not use you flashes across bodies?

Does Canon document this anywhere?

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (0 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

dslr

Paul Repacholi wrote:

> Michael Quack <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a
> >> 540EZ. I know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will
> >> there be any use manual, semi,...with the 10D?

> > In short: nope.

in short: yep, manual only - provided you can set the flash manually
that is.

> So if you have a mix of older, say EOS-1, 100, 500, and newer
> 10D and 1V, you can not use you flashes across bodies?

As above.

> Does Canon document this anywhere?

Yes, in the specs for the digitals I believe they do say they only have
E-TTL flash metering.

--
regards,
dslr

Mark B.

"Paul Repacholi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Michael Quack <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a
> >> 540EZ. I know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will
> >> there be any use manual, semi,...with the 10D?

> > In short: nope.

> So if you have a mix of older, say EOS-1, 100, 500, and newer
> 10D and 1V, you can not use you flashes across bodies?
>
> Does Canon document this anywhere?

Yes, in the manual.

Mark

=?iso-8859-1?q?Kjell_H=F6gstr=F6m?=

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:24:05 +0800, Paul Repacholi wrote:

> Michael Quack <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...

>>> My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a
>>> 540EZ. I know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will
>>> there be any use manual, semi,...with the 10D?

>> In short: nope.

> So if you have a mix of older, say EOS-1, 100, 500, and newer 10D and
> 1V, you can not use you flashes across bodies?

With 550EX (and probably the other EX models also, but 550EX is the only
one I've used) the situation is a bit better, you can use TTL mode for old
cameras (type B). But thet's not good news if you already have an EZ.

/Kjell