Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > G2 accessories? Is it too late?

G2 accessories? Is it too late?

Steve Wilbur

It seems like I just got a G2 and already there is a G3 and G5. Good
grief. It doesn't bother me to not have the latest and the greatest, but I
was somewhat diappointed to see on Canon's site that the G3 and G5 use a
different lens adaptor and a different set of tele and wide-angle lenses.

My question is - will these "new" items work on the G2, or did they
actually change something that keeps the new ones from working, meaning I
have to try to find the old ones, or some other alternative?

On that note - if anyone has suggestions for better non-canon G2
alternatives for a tele-converter and/or wide-angle lens, I'll take that
info too. Of course, it's useful to point out what/why its better, pricing
info, where to buy, etc. etc. (:

On that note - why the hell is the waterproof enclosure for the Gx series
of cameras always insanely more than the same thing for other canon
cameras? I can't imagine it's that much more to manufacture. Is there
something more to it besides, "you pay more for the camera, so we figure
you got more bucks to burn on this too"?

Thanks!
-sw

Dave Martindale

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Steve Wilbur) writes:
>It seems like I just got a G2 and already there is a G3 and G5. Good
>grief. It doesn't bother me to not have the latest and the greatest, but I
>was somewhat diappointed to see on Canon's site that the G3 and G5 use a
>different lens adaptor and a different set of tele and wide-angle lenses.

That's at least partially because the G3/G5 use a different lens design,
with 4X zoom instead of the 3X found on the G1/G2. Plus the adapter
mount changed from screw thread to bayonet. Sometimes progress is like
that.

>My question is - will these "new" items work on the G2, or did they
>actually change something that keeps the new ones from working, meaning I
>have to try to find the old ones, or some other alternative?

The new adapter won't work on the G2 - see note about bayonet mount
above. The new tele/wide auxiliary lenses might work fine, or they
might not. They're only officially designed for the later cameras,
but only Canon knows if they are really different from the earlier
ones.

>On that note - why the hell is the waterproof enclosure for the Gx series
>of cameras always insanely more than the same thing for other canon
>cameras? I can't imagine it's that much more to manufacture. Is there
>something more to it besides, "you pay more for the camera, so we figure
>you got more bucks to burn on this too"?

That's probably part of it. But it does need to be a bunch larger for
the larger body and lens stickout, and there are also more buttons on
the G-series that you have to be able to push from outside. Every
button needs a reasonably complex waterproofed mechanism to operate it.

Dave

Steve Wilbur

> That's at least partially because the G3/G5 use a different lens design,
> with 4X zoom instead of the 3X found on the G1/G2. Plus the adapter
> mount changed from screw thread to bayonet. Sometimes progress is like
> that.

Ah, I see. What do you mean, a "bayonet" ?

> That's probably part of it. But it does need to be a bunch larger for
> the larger body and lens stickout, and there are also more buttons on
> the G-series that you have to be able to push from outside. Every
> button needs a reasonably complex waterproofed mechanism to operate it.

Well, I understand that. But it just seems like the complexity/cost ratio
difference is out of whack. (:

Mark B.

Check out the adapters at http://www.lensmateonline.com. I use a LensMate
adapter on my G1.

Mark

Dave Martindale

(E-Mail Removed) (Steve Wilbur) writes:

>Ah, I see. What do you mean, a "bayonet" ?

Most 35 mm SLR systems use bayonet-mount lenses. You align the lens in
a particular orientation, insert it into the lens mount, and then rotate
a fraction of a turn to lock it into place. I assume that Canon's lens
adapter for the G3/G5 is similar.

Basically, it's a lot faster than a screw mount, because you turn it
only a fraction of a turn, rather than several turns.

Dave

Steve Wilbur

In article <bf03tg$8uf$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Dave
Martindale) wrote:
> >Ah, I see. What do you mean, a "bayonet" ?

> Most 35 mm SLR systems use bayonet-mount lenses. You align the lens in
> a particular orientation, insert it into the lens mount, and then rotate
> a fraction of a turn to lock it into place. I assume that Canon's lens
> adapter for the G3/G5 is similar.
>
> Basically, it's a lot faster than a screw mount, because you turn it
> only a fraction of a turn, rather than several turns.

Ah, OK. I was envisioning some kind of knife-like thing you use to stab
your subjects. (: