Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Problems with SanDisk 64MB SD Card

Problems with SanDisk 64MB SD Card

Mark

I used my DiMAGE X today to take some pictures at an event run by an
organization I belong to. The pictures are supposed to be published in
our next monthly newsletter, so I have some interest in understanding or
fixing what went wrong.

I've used the camera several times before for the same purpose with no
problems, but only with the stock 8MB SD card that came with the camera.
Today was the first time that I tried the used SanDisk 64MB SD card that
I purchased on eBay last month. (Naturally I tested the card right
after I bought it, with two or three practice shots that I was able to
upload to my computer with no problem.) The picture-taking went fine; I
put the camera in playback mode several times to check that the images
were actually being stored on the card.

The problems started when I tried to upload today's batch to my computer
(36 photos out of the card's capacity of about 60 photos based on the
quality settings I chose). Inserting the card into my card reader didn't
cause iPhoto to launch (I'm an OS X user). Putting the card back into the
camera and connecting it to my computer via USB didn't cause iPhoto to
launch. When I used the Finder to browse the SD card, all I saw were zero
KB files with nonsense names and none of the folders of images that I've
come to expect from browsing CompactFlash and SmartMedia cards in the
past.

After each of these steps, I would use the playback mode on the camera to
confirm that, yes, the images were still on the card. So I just
started trying different things. I have an old PC sitting next to my
Mac, so I installed the Minolta viewer software and drivers on the PC and
connected the camera via USB. The info sidebar in the My Computer window
showed that 23 MB were being used on the card, but the viewer utility
thought the card was empty and wouldn't let me import any images. Double
clicking the card's icon also showed me a bunch of nonsense files. I
booted my Mac into OS 9, installed the drivers for my card reader, and
mounted the card. Same nonsense files, no folders.

After putting the card away in the Finder, removing it from the card
reader, and putting it back in my camera, I finally got the dreaded
"Unable to use card" warning message. I can no longer use my camera to
browse the images, and when I put the camera in photo mode, it thinks it
has all 60 shots available.

I reconnected the camera to the PC, and it confirmed that now only 1.5 MB
were being used on the card.

So, what happened? Did my SanDisk 64MB card just spontaneously go bad?
Why could I initially use the camera to see the images, but not use any
of my OSes to browse to the image files on the card?

My understanding of data storage on hard drives is that when data is
"deleted," only the reference to the data is removed, and the data doesn't
really go away until that part of the drive is overwritten by something
else. Is there something equivalent to Norton Unerase for this kind of
media that would allow me to "rescue" the images (assuming they are really
still there, just hidden)? I haven't tried using the card again, either
by taking a test shot or formatting the card.

I'm prepared to accept that I'm just hosed in this situation, but any
advice about what to do with the card now or in the future to avoid having
this happen again would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Rick Deckard

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mark) gave Roy Batty a mean glare and said:

>I'm prepared to accept that I'm just hosed in this situation, but any
>advice about what to do with the card now or in the future to avoid having
>this happen again would be appreciated.

That really sucks. I've been using digital cameras since 1999 and never had
that happen to me.

A variety of things could have happened. The card was defective, or you
didn't format it in the camera before using it, or when you first put the
card in the card reader the data was corrupted.

It's possible that your photos are still there, if you try a data recovery
program like Norton Unerase on it.

SanDisk cards have a 3 year or 5 year warranty so at least you can get it
replaced if it is defective.

"You're watching a stage play. A banquet is in progess.
The guests are enjoying an appetizer of raw oysters.
The entree consists of boiled dog."

Gerry H

"Rick Deckard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Mark) gave Roy Batty a mean glare and said:
>

> >I'm prepared to accept that I'm just hosed in this situation, but any
> >advice about what to do with the card now or in the future to avoid

having
> >this happen again would be appreciated.

> That really sucks. I've been using digital cameras since 1999 and never

had
> that happen to me.
>
> A variety of things could have happened. The card was defective, or you
> didn't format it in the camera before using it, or when you first put the
> card in the card reader the data was corrupted.
>
> It's possible that your photos are still there, if you try a data recovery
> program like Norton Unerase on it.
>
> SanDisk cards have a 3 year or 5 year warranty so at least you can get it
> replaced if it is defective.
>

> "You're watching a stage play. A banquet is in progess.
> The guests are enjoying an appetizer of raw oysters.
> The entree consists of boiled dog."

You could try Photo Rescue http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/ or one
of the other similar programmes on the market. I've never tried it myself
but it seems to get good reviews.

Gerry