Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Digital vs Slide Projectors

Re: Digital vs Slide Projectors

Alan Brennan

On 13 Jul 2003 22:58:50 GMT
Tony Whitaker ( newsgroups@t_o_n_y_whitaker.com )
Wrote

> Here's a subject I haven't seen discussed before. Someone in the "Digital v
> Film" thread (the one started during the week of 7-12-2003) brought this
> up.
>
> How do digital image projectors compare to slide projectors?
>
> My guess is that the digital projectos are inferior, but, if I hadn't
> printed digital images myself 3 years ago, I would have guessed that
> digital images would never equal film.

How are you comparing? As far as image quality goes, possibly SOME slide
projectors have the edge, but I doubt if it would be apparant from
anything but very close range, and most of them have annoying habits
like going out of focus over all or part of the image from time to time.
My digital projector operates in a brightly lit room, which no slide
projector can. And then there's all the other things that a digital
projector can do: add text, effects, take input from multiple sources,
show video, show spreadsheets or documents which can be corrected
onscreen, add sound, have picture within picture and zooming, adjust
for keystone effect...etc. etc.etc. - who would waste money on a slide
projector? And who could be bothered with all the trouble: sorting and
storing slides, not to mention the noise. And let's not begin on the
trouble of having to actually take all your own slides rather than
download them from the net or buy them in their tens of thousands on a
CD.

Tony Whitaker

Alan Brennan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz:

> How are you comparing?

Like I said, someone else brought the subject up. I was thinking mainly
about image quality when viewing still images.

I personally don't have any experience with either - just curious.

The points you make are all interesting.

HRosita

Hi,

I have done both, slide shows with slide projectors and slide shows with
digital projectors and while I did not compare the two side by side, I will
take a laptop and a projector any time over slides.

The time to prepare a slide show with the carousells, synchronizing music and
narration, packing the 20 or 30 pounds of equipment might be worth the better
picture but for me, give me a laptop and a 5-7 pound projector any time.
Todays software to create slide shows is outstanding and editting music and
narratives is a breeze.

for a 30 minute show you need about 3 carousells, a projector, and a tape
recorder with fairly large speakers. The room has to be in total darknes.

For the same show on CD (or hard drive) you need a projector, small compact
speakers, and with some you don't even need a laptop.

Since so many people are used to seing their pictures on a monitor (or on TV)
they are used to seing the 1024x768 resolution (XGA) and new projectors are
comming out monthly with 1280x1024 resolution.

..

For a 30 minute show
Rosita