Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PPI / DPI / Output size / Scanned Size HELPPPPPPPPPPP

PPI / DPI / Output size / Scanned Size HELPPPPPPPPPPP

Chris

I have bought one scanner so far and returned it was a HP4570C. The
negatives were to hard to work with it needs some mechanical refinement. I
would like to be able to scan negatives to create pictures that can be
printed at 8 x 10 on a laser color printer. I am doing this as a home
hobbyist at the best. I have been reading about Dots per inch / pixels per
inch / output size / and scan size and am going Nucking Futs. What
resolution do I need to scan a 35mm negative at to get acceptable an 8 x 10
print? I consider acceptable not being able to tell the difference by eye
between using a negative and the digital file used to make an 8 x 10 print.
If my printer is capable of 2400DPI should I scan at say 2500 DPI to ensure
maximum resolution? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

CSM1

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have bought one scanner so far and returned it was a HP4570C. The
> negatives were to hard to work with it needs some mechanical refinement. I
> would like to be able to scan negatives to create pictures that can be
> printed at 8 x 10 on a laser color printer. I am doing this as a home
> hobbyist at the best. I have been reading about Dots per inch / pixels per
> inch / output size / and scan size and am going Nucking Futs. What
> resolution do I need to scan a 35mm negative at to get acceptable an 8 x

10
> print? I consider acceptable not being able to tell the difference by eye
> between using a negative and the digital file used to make an 8 x 10

print.
> If my printer is capable of 2400DPI should I scan at say 2500 DPI to

ensure
> maximum resolution? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Print Calculator.
http://www.scantips.com/calc.html

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Tom Thackrey

On 13-Jul-2003, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have bought one scanner so far and returned it was a HP4570C. The
> negatives were to hard to work with it needs some mechanical refinement. I
> would like to be able to scan negatives to create pictures that can be
> printed at 8 x 10 on a laser color printer. I am doing this as a home
> hobbyist at the best. I have been reading about Dots per inch / pixels per
> inch / output size / and scan size and am going Nucking Futs. What
> resolution do I need to scan a 35mm negative at to get acceptable an 8 x
> 10
> print? I consider acceptable not being able to tell the difference by eye
> between using a negative and the digital file used to make an 8 x 10
> print.
> If my printer is capable of 2400DPI should I scan at say 2500 DPI to
> ensure
> maximum resolution? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

PPI is DPI for almost every use except the DPI ratings on inkjet printers
which are useless.

If your printer needs 600 ppi an 8x10 print would need 8*600 x 10*600 pixels
(pixels per inch times inches = pixels) or 4800x6000 pixels. A 35mm frame is
36x24mm or 1.42x0.94 inches. To get the required pixels you need to scan the
35mm neg at the larger of 6000/1.42 (4225) or 4800/0.94 (4512) (pixels
divided by inches = pixels per inch).

I would go for a 300 ppi file. Scan your negatives at 2400 ppi and crop them
to 2400x3000 pixels. 300ppi is good for most printers.

http://www.scantips.com/ is a very useful site for this type of information.

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com

Barry Parker

If you scan at the highest resolution and use a Program like Qimage to do
the printing you don't have to worry about resizing. Qimage does all the
work for you.

Barry.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have bought one scanner so far and returned it was a HP4570C. The
> negatives were to hard to work with it needs some mechanical refinement. I
> would like to be able to scan negatives to create pictures that can be
> printed at 8 x 10 on a laser color printer. I am doing this as a home
> hobbyist at the best. I have been reading about Dots per inch / pixels per
> inch / output size / and scan size and am going Nucking Futs. What
> resolution do I need to scan a 35mm negative at to get acceptable an 8 x

10
> print? I consider acceptable not being able to tell the difference by eye
> between using a negative and the digital file used to make an 8 x 10

print.
> If my printer is capable of 2400DPI should I scan at say 2500 DPI to

ensure
> maximum resolution? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

dpi and ppi differences ccomp Digital Photography 16 11-15-2004 01:45 AM
ppi, dpi, and printing photos Bob Digital Photography 25 07-23-2004 05:05 AM
dpi=ppi? didi Digital Photography 43 12-20-2003 11:00 PM
DPI, PPI, and printing Digital Puer Digital Photography 9 08-25-2003 01:53 PM
PPI vs DPI MGlantzMN Digital Photography 9 08-03-2003 08:11 PM

Advertisments