Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Digital - cheaper to buy in Toronto or New York?

Reply
Thread Tools

Canon Digital - cheaper to buy in Toronto or New York?

 
 
Zol.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-13-2003
Hi, I might be in the line to see about getting an upgrade on my Canon over
the Christmas/New Year period in these 2 locations (Toronto & Manhatten) -
are the prices similar to each other or is there a difference in pricing ?
also I will making my way back to the UK afterwards and would like to know
if I need to pay any TAX in Canada/USA or the UK on return?

Thanks for any useful information

Zol.

--


"May you find what you are looking for in the Window at the heart of the
machine"

Canon Photo Gallery - http://www.byphotos.com/(E-Mail Removed)

Zolitare`AT`Blueyonder.co.uk / TheOne`AT`Blueyonder.co.uk
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Free Anti-Virus Software ... http://www.grisoft.com
Free Firewall Software ...... http://www.sygate.com/swat/default.htm
Free Spyware Removal .... http://security.kolla.de/

Test your Firewall ............ http://scan.sygatetech.com/
__________________________________________________ ___________________




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Graham
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2003
"Zol." wrote:
> also I will making my way back to the UK afterwards and would like
> to know if I need to pay any TAX in Canada/USA or the UK on return?


When I last visited Canada in 1997 they had a scheme for overseas
visitors to reclaim the federal VAT (whatever they call it) on purchases
they took out of the country. Provincial sales taxes could not be
claimed back. I don't know what federal or state taxes might apply in
the US or whether you can claim them back as an overseas visitor.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael Neville
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2003
The federal government has a GST rebate program. Most provinces also have a
tax rebate program if you are taking the equipment out of the country within
a reasonable time frame. Information on both can be obtained from customs
offices where you are exiting the country.
Michael

"Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Zol." wrote:
> > also I will making my way back to the UK afterwards and would like
> > to know if I need to pay any TAX in Canada/USA or the UK on return?

>
> When I last visited Canada in 1997 they had a scheme for overseas
> visitors to reclaim the federal VAT (whatever they call it) on purchases
> they took out of the country. Provincial sales taxes could not be
> claimed back. I don't know what federal or state taxes might apply in
> the US or whether you can claim them back as an overseas visitor.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Zol.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2003

"Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Zol." wrote:
> > How will this put me with customs in the Uk though - will I then
> > have to pay a duty tax on entering the UK ? thanks ... Zol.

>
> It shouldn't affect UK tax/duty either way since you don't even claim
> the Canadian refund until after you've got home.


Is there any helpful info sites about claiming back? - and will going into a
shop with my passport in either countries help in anyway with getting Tax
deducted there and then? thanks ... Zol.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2003
> > "Zol." wrote:
> > > How will this put me with customs in the Uk though - will I then
> > > have to pay a duty tax on entering the UK ? thanks ... Zol.


> Graham wrote:
> > It shouldn't affect UK tax/duty either way since you don't even
> > claim the Canadian refund until after you've got home.


"Zol." wrote:
> Is there any helpful info sites about claiming back?


There are sure to be such websites.

Canadian federal GST (VAT) would be covered by a Canadian government
website, but unless something has changed, thats simply a matter of
keeping the receipts, getting the application form, reading it, and
posting it in.

Canadian provincial taxes will vary from one province to the next - try
an Ontario government site. I know in BC in 1997 there was no provision
for refunding provisional sales taxes.

I don't even know if the US federal government charges any taxes which
you might avoid or have refunded. US state sales taxes will obviously
vary for each of the 50 states, so once again you'll have to check with
the state government websites.

Your travel agent may also be able to help with information if they're
on the ball.

> - and will going into a shop with my passport in either countries
> help in anyway with getting Tax deducted there and then? thanks ...
> Zol.


I have no idea. I do know that as an international traveller in
Australia you can get some goods GST free by presenting your passport
and exit tickets, so it is possible that Canadian provincial taxes or US
taxes work on this basis.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Digital photo labs - Toronto West Area C.S. Digital Photography 0 04-20-2004 08:31 PM
Canon A60 and error 18 - to buy or not to buy Steve Digital Photography 2 12-29-2003 06:51 AM
Looking for a Digital Rebel in GTA (Toronto)? Woz Digital Photography 2 12-15-2003 12:59 AM
Buying a Canon D10 in Toronto EricR Digital Photography 4 07-16-2003 07:19 AM



Advertisments