Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Looking for small/inexpensive point-and-shoot recs

Looking for small/inexpensive point-and-shoot recs

PAtina4175

I have a Toshiba right now that has manual and auto controls. I love it, but I
am looking for a small and inexpensive point-and-shoot camera that I can throw
in a purse to keep with me "just in case". Nothing fancy, but something that
does a decent job that I can print 4x6 if desired.

I am looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2500. There is a rebate going on right now
too, which makes it desireable. I had originally thought about the Sony U20
but a review I read said the pics weren't that good. Any comments on either of
these or something similar. This is going to be a knock-around camera, so I'm
not looking to pay more than $200. Would like at least 2 mps. Thanks.

Tina

Hans-Georg Michna

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)cal (PAtina4175) wrote:

>I have a Toshiba right now that has manual and auto controls. I love it, but I
>am looking for a small and inexpensive point-and-shoot camera that I can throw
>in a purse to keep with me "just in case". Nothing fancy, but something that
>does a decent job that I can print 4x6 if desired.
>
>I am looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2500. There is a rebate going on right now
>too, which makes it desireable. I had originally thought about the Sony U20
>but a review I read said the pics weren't that good. Any comments on either of
>these or something similar. This is going to be a knock-around camera, so I'm
>not looking to pay more than $200. Would like at least 2 mps. Thanks.

Tina,

have a look at these if you're really interested in small ones.

Only 1.3 Megapixels, but cute:

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...uct_Id=3709801

2 Megapixels and much larger, but still very small:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0305/03...ydscu30u60.asp
http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.a...y&catky=764354

Then have a look at the mobile phones and personal organizers
(Sony Clič etc.) that have a camera built in. If you carry a
mobile phone anyway, the camera may have an effective size of
zero. And you can immediately send your photo off as an MMS or
email.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Don Coon

"PAtina4175" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Toshiba right now that has manual and auto controls. I love it,

but I
> am looking for a small and inexpensive point-and-shoot camera that I can

throw
> in a purse to keep with me "just in case". Nothing fancy, but something

that
> does a decent job that I can print 4x6 if desired.
>
> I am looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2500. There is a rebate going on right

now
> too, which makes it desireable. I had originally thought about the Sony

U20
> but a review I read said the pics weren't that good. Any comments on

either of
> these or something similar. This is going to be a knock-around camera, so

I'm
> not looking to pay more than $200. Would like at least 2 mps. Thanks.
>
> Tina

Hi Tina,

www.buydig.com has the Canon A60 for $202 shipped. 2MP, 3x optical, Auto,
Program, Aperture or Shutter priority, full manual, lots of scene modes. We
bought one for the same reason you're looking -- a "take everywhere" camera
to complement our Canon 10D.

The A60/A70 series has taken some hits for flat pictures and some for focus
problems.
We found easy solutions: select "Vivid" for picture mode if you want the pix
print ready out of the camera and shut off the 5 point Autofocusing -- just
use the center focus point. Heck, we shut off the 7 point autofocus on our
10D for the same reason.

Many people have problems with multi-point focusing systems because they
don't pay attention to what the camera has chosen as the focus point(s).
Easiest solution is to turn it off.

Takes great pictures!

Don B

At the suggestion of HRosita on the newsgroup I just purchased a Fuji
A303 from NewEgg.com for $225.00 with free shipping. It doesn't have all
of the bells and whistles of some of the more expensive models, but it
does everything I need, it's a 3.24 meg camera, and it's small enough to
fit in a shirtpocket.

Don