Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I need to Batch resize (72>300dpi) .Best software?

I need to Batch resize (72>300dpi) .Best software?

Graphic

I need to batch resize files from 72dpi up to 300 dpi *AND* retain the
original file names.

Someone just told me that they thought ACDsee software could do this. Can
it?

Is there a better/less expensive alternative?

Any comments from users who have done this manipulation before?

Ed Ruf

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:54:25 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Graphic"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need to batch resize files from 72dpi up to 300 dpi *AND* retain the
>original file names.
>
>Someone just told me that they thought ACDsee software could do this. Can
>it?
>
>Is there a better/less expensive alternative?
>
>Any comments from users who have done this manipulation before?

http://www.irfanview.com
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Todd Walker

In article <bep7fp$tpn$(E-Mail Removed)>, graphic99
@mindspring.com says...
> I need to batch resize files from 72dpi up to 300 dpi *AND* retain the
> original file names.
>
> Someone just told me that they thought ACDsee software could do this. Can
> it?
>
> Is there a better/less expensive alternative?
>
> Any comments from users who have done this manipulation before?

If you go from 72 to 300 dpi, you are resampling, not resizing. I have a
feeling you don't know how dpi works with digital images. Please read up
here:

http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

For what reason are you doing this "resizing" as you refer to it? For
printing? If so, you really need to read the article quoted above.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

W. Catalano

oops...you've got me on the semantics....

.....hold on, maybe not.... my version of PhotoShop has a "Resizing" window
where you can change the dpi and image size.

Funny, but they don't call it a "re-sampling and re-sizing" box...just
resizing. But even assuming the folks at PhotoShop/Adobe don't understand
all the technical mumbo jumbo. let's look at the practical effect of
changing the dpi:

An actual image created at 144dpi will display on my computer screen at a
size of 13x17 inches at 100% magnification.

When that same image is simply resampled to 300dpi, the size screen needed
to display it at 100% magnification has increased to 26x34 inches. This
sure looks like re-sizing to me!

And like most stupid things that I do professionally (at least I like to
think it's true), it's because of a client.

This one (who wouldn't know a re-sample from a re-boot ) read somewhere that
this is what you make the
photographer do so that he thinks you know what you're talking about. This
client (like most of mine) will either
use the photos on the web (she also read 72dpi is best for that usage ... I
was amazed) *OR* will reproduce it in printed media less than the size of a
4x6. The ones that get printed will be maybe a dozen out of 400-600 taken.
If the client had to re-size them herself ....excuse me, resample
them....I'll bet she would only resample the dozen to actually be used in
print.

Even for photographic prints, the professional color lab that I use doesn't
re-sample from 72dpi to 300 dpi unless the print is going to be at least
11x14inches.

The client is always right....even when they are dead wrong....or you'll
soon be out of business.

So you do whatever stupid thing they want done and multiply your rates by
the agravation factor or you tell them to take a hike....your pick.

Wayne

news:(E-Mail Removed)...