Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Battary Question.

Canon Battary Question.

Mark Handy

I'm looking for a second battery for my s400. Is the Canon battery an
850mAh? I've only seen 770's here. I'm in Canada, and so far the price
difference doesn't make it worth while going to a third party. Are there any
brands i should look for?

Mark

Howard McCollister

Consider the AC-NB1LH as seen at:

http://www.batterybarn.com/nb1l.htm

HMc

"Mark Handy" <arcturis_no_spam@rogers_get_bent.com> wrote in message
news:OWTPa.14031$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...
> I'm looking for a second battery for my s400. Is the Canon battery an
> 850mAh? I've only seen 770's here. I'm in Canada, and so far the price
> difference doesn't make it worth while going to a third party. Are there

any
> brands i should look for?
>
> Mark

Abrasha

Howard McCollister wrote:

> Consider the AC-NB1LH as seen at:
>
> http://www.batterybarn.com/nb1l.htm

Why would one consider a $38 or a $44 Canon original when one can have a generic
model with more power for $9 as reported here by a number of people. The
generics seem to work fine. Not one person has reported a bad experience with
one.

Besides, the Canon brand is most likely made by one of the manufacturers who
also make the generics, except they get to put the Canon name on it.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Howard McCollister

If you look closer, you'll see that only one of those batteries are Canon,
the others are "generic" (VidPro). Additionally, the AC-NB1LH is 1200 mah,
as opposed to the standard Canon battery which is 840mah. I dispute your
claim that there are ANY $9 batteries for the Canon S400 that are "more
powerful" (I assume you mean "higher capacity"). A google group search on
"Canon" and "battery" does not support your claim either.

You will have to support your assertion, or it will fall into the category
of internet noise.

HMc

"Abrasha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Howard McCollister wrote:
> >
> > Consider the AC-NB1LH as seen at:
> >
> > http://www.batterybarn.com/nb1l.htm
> >

> Why would one consider a $38 or a $44 Canon original when one can have a

generic
> model with more power for $9 as reported here by a number of people. The
> generics seem to work fine. Not one person has reported a bad experience

with
> one.
>
> Besides, the Canon brand is most likely made by one of the manufacturers

who
> also make the generics, except they get to put the Canon name on it.
>
> Abrasha
> http://www.abrasha.com

Don Coon

How about 1700mah for $30 shipped? (Actually 2 850mah for $30 on Ebay)
Or a 950mah for $23 shipped? http://www.terascout.com/
Seems like more bang for the buck!

"Howard McCollister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f10c91f$0$64243$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you look closer, you'll see that only one of those batteries are Canon,
> the others are "generic" (VidPro). Additionally, the AC-NB1LH is 1200 mah,
> as opposed to the standard Canon battery which is 840mah. I dispute your
> claim that there are ANY $9 batteries for the Canon S400 that are "more
> powerful" (I assume you mean "higher capacity"). A google group search on
> "Canon" and "battery" does not support your claim either.
>
> You will have to support your assertion, or it will fall into the category
> of internet noise.
>
> HMc
>

> "Abrasha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Howard McCollister wrote:
> > >
> > > Consider the AC-NB1LH as seen at:
> > >
> > > http://www.batterybarn.com/nb1l.htm
> > >

> > Why would one consider a $38 or a $44 Canon original when one can have a

> generic
> > model with more power for $9 as reported here by a number of people.

The
> > generics seem to work fine. Not one person has reported a bad

experience
> with
> > one.
> >
> > Besides, the Canon brand is most likely made by one of the manufacturers

> who
> > also make the generics, except they get to put the Canon name on it.
> >
> > Abrasha
> > http://www.abrasha.com

Howard McCollister

OK, now yer talkin'. That could be a good deal.

But...

I can't find any testimonials on Terascout, as opposed to BatteryBarn which
seems to be pretty reputable. Also, I let my PayPal account lapse because of
security concerns, and sending a check or money order seems so old
fashioned. And I do have concerns because a google search on them returns
nothing. Their web site has no address or phone number, or other identifying
data. They must be pretty new. Anybody have experience with them? I mean,
actually receive an order they placed?

HMc

"Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message
> How about 1700mah for $30 shipped? (Actually 2 850mah for $30 on Ebay)
> Or a 950mah for $23 shipped? http://www.terascout.com/
> Seems like more bang for the buck!
>
> "Howard McCollister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f10c91f$0$64243$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If you look closer, you'll see that only one of those batteries are

Canon,
> > the others are "generic" (VidPro). Additionally, the AC-NB1LH is 1200

mah,
> > as opposed to the standard Canon battery which is 840mah. I dispute your
> > claim that there are ANY $9 batteries for the Canon S400 that are "more
> > powerful" (I assume you mean "higher capacity"). A google group search

on
> > "Canon" and "battery" does not support your claim either.
> >
> > You will have to support your assertion, or it will fall into the

category
> > of internet noise.
> >
> > HMc
> >

> > "Abrasha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > Why would one consider a $38 or a $44 Canon original when one can have

> > generic
> > > model with more power for $9 as reported here by a number of people.

> The
> > > generics seem to work fine. Not one person has reported a bad

> experience
> > with
> > > one.
> > >
> > > Besides, the Canon brand is most likely made by one of the

manufacturers
> > who
> > > also make the generics, except they get to put the Canon name on it.
> > >
> > > Abrasha
> > > http://www.abrasha.com

Abrasha

Howard McCollister wrote:

> If you look closer, you'll see that only one of those batteries are Canon,
> the others are "generic" (VidPro). Additionally, the AC-NB1LH is 1200 mah,
> as opposed to the standard Canon battery which is 840mah. I dispute your
> claim that there are ANY $9 batteries for the Canon S400 that are "more
> powerful" (I assume you mean "higher capacity").

Well, you can dispute all you want. It was not just my claim, it was posted
here a few days ago by someone else also.

> A google group search on
> "Canon" and "battery" does not support your claim either.

Learn how to use a search engine properly.

> You will have to support your assertion, or it will fall into the category
> of internet noise.

OK.

http://store.yahoo.com/sterlingtek/cannbcambate.html

Canon NB-1LH Battery Pack Equivalent
For Digital Elph and Ixus Cameras!

850mAH!

$8.99

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Abrasha

Howard McCollister wrote:

> OK, now yer talkin'. That could be a good deal.
>
> But...
>
> I can't find any testimonials on Terascout, as opposed to BatteryBarn which
> seems to be pretty reputable. Also, I let my PayPal account lapse because of
> security concerns, and sending a check or money order seems so old
> fashioned. And I do have concerns because a google search on them returns
> nothing. Their web site has no address or phone number, or other identifying
> data. They must be pretty new. Anybody have experience with them? I mean,
> actually receive an order they placed?

Why don't you just buy the Canon battery and pay full price. You'll sleep
better.

"Testimonials, google search returns nothing, no identifying data." You are
going through a lot of trouble for 20 bucks. Loosen up already. You've already
spent more than $40 in time alone trying to save $10.-

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Howard McCollister

Actually, I don't need an extra battery for my S400. My only interest was
because it came up in another group discussion. It was my observation that
Terascout smells like a fly-by-night operation. I wouldn't buy anything off
the internet where I had no means of pre-purchase evaluation nor
post-purchase protection, especially from some place with zero credentials.

As to SterlingTek and their $9 batteries, I gotta concede. You were right.
That's amazing.

HMc

"Abrasha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Howard McCollister wrote:
> >
> > OK, now yer talkin'. That could be a good deal.
> >
> > But...
> >
> > I can't find any testimonials on Terascout, as opposed to BatteryBarn

which
> > seems to be pretty reputable. Also, I let my PayPal account lapse

because of
> > security concerns, and sending a check or money order seems so old
> > fashioned. And I do have concerns because a google search on them

returns
> > nothing. Their web site has no address or phone number, or other

identifying
> > data. They must be pretty new. Anybody have experience with them? I

mean,
> > actually receive an order they placed?
> >

> Why don't you just buy the Canon battery and pay full price. You'll sleep
> better.
>
> "Testimonials, google search returns nothing, no identifying data." You

are
> going through a lot of trouble for 20 bucks. Loosen up already. You've

already
> spent more than $40 in time alone trying to save $10.-
>
> Abrasha
> http://www.abrasha.com

Don Coon

> Howard McCollister wrote:
> >
> > OK, now yer talkin'. That could be a good deal.
> >
> > But...
> >
> > I can't find any testimonials on Terascout, as opposed to BatteryBarn

which
> > seems to be pretty reputable. Also, I let my PayPal account lapse

because of
> > security concerns, and sending a check or money order seems so old
> > fashioned. And I do have concerns because a google search on them

returns
> > nothing. Their web site has no address or phone number, or other

identifying
> > data. They must be pretty new. Anybody have experience with them? I

mean,
> > actually receive an order they placed?

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...(www.terascout
..com)

Ebay Feedback: 519 positives; 2 neutrals; 2 negatives. That's 99.2%
positive according to my calculator : )