Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Making only the dark areas lighter?

Re: Making only the dark areas lighter?

Patrick L.

Stephen Barr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bebi64$34dhr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not sure how to define my problem so I'm not having much luck with the
> 'help' files.
> I'm new to image processing and using ACDSee5.0 and also PSP5 and,
> apparently, not a very good photographer.
>
> If I have a figure in the foreground who is underexposed owing to a large
> area of sunny sky or sea in the background is there any way to lighten the
> foreground character without bleaching out the background?

> Thank you.

Get PhotoShop and use the burn/dodge tool. Burn for darkening areas, dodge
for brightening.

Patrick

Tony Whitaker

"Patrick L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3rRPa.96478$(E-Mail Removed) thlink.net:
> Get PhotoShop and use the burn/dodge tool. Burn for darkening areas,
> dodge for brightening.

I don't know about PSP5, but PSP7 has a dodge tool. It's an option for the
"Retouch" tool (looks like a hand with the index finger sticking out and
pointing downward). It's very tricky to use, though. It works basically
like the airbrush tool, except that, instead of paint, it shoots
brightness. The problem is getting an even brightnes everywhere without any
salt-and-pepper look.

I don't like it. Or am I doing something wrong?

Unclaimed Mysteries

Tony Whitaker wrote:
> "Patrick L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:3rRPa.96478$(E-Mail Removed) thlink.net:
>
>>Get PhotoShop and use the burn/dodge tool. Burn for darkening areas,
>>dodge for brightening.

> I don't know about PSP5, but PSP7 has a dodge tool. It's an option for the
> "Retouch" tool (looks like a hand with the index finger sticking out and
> pointing downward). It's very tricky to use, though. It works basically
> like the airbrush tool, except that, instead of paint, it shoots
> brightness. The problem is getting an even brightnes everywhere without any
> salt-and-pepper look.
>
> I don't like it. Or am I doing something wrong?

Try this:

1) Layers -> Duplicate

This creates a copy on top of the background image.

2) Properties -> Blend Mode (Dodge)

Thaaat's not gonna be pretty. Back off on the ...

3) Properties -> Opacity (XX%)

Now, take a big soft eraser tool to the image and wipe away the areas
that you didn't want lightened to begin with.

This procedure, or variations of it, has always provided a better
control for me than using the dodge tool directly on the image.

Corry
http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

-Albert Einstein

Patrick L.

Tony Whitaker <newsgroups@t_o_n_y_whitaker.com> wrote in message
news:Xns93B684B1EA7E2newsgroupstonywhitak@198.99.1 46.10...
> "Patrick L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:3rRPa.96478$(E-Mail Removed) thlink.net:
> > Get PhotoShop and use the burn/dodge tool. Burn for darkening areas,
> > dodge for brightening.

> I don't know about PSP5, but PSP7 has a dodge tool. It's an option for the
> "Retouch" tool (looks like a hand with the index finger sticking out and
> pointing downward). It's very tricky to use, though. It works basically
> like the airbrush tool, except that, instead of paint, it shoots
> brightness. The problem is getting an even brightnes everywhere without

any
> salt-and-pepper look.
>
> I don't like it. Or am I doing something wrong?

Yeah, I have PSP 7, and its dodge/burn function sucks compared to
PhotoShop's.

Patrick