Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Piixel usage

Piixel usage

Click

Just curious. If for instance you have a camera that has 4 millions pixels
realize that all of these pixels will be used in capturing your photo. But
what happens when you opt to capture at a lower resolution? Does the camera
just use some of the pixels or does it use all of the pixels & then resample
downwards? Does this matter or would the end results be the same?

--
Thanks in advance

Remove the XXX to reply

Roland Karlsson

"Click" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3f0fa686$0$20079$(E-Mail Removed) u:

> Just curious. If for instance you have a camera that has 4 millions
> pixels realize that all of these pixels will be used in capturing your
> photo. But what happens when you opt to capture at a lower resolution?
> Does the camera just use some of the pixels or does it use all of the
> pixels & then resample downwards? Does this matter or would the end
> results be the same?

The camera resamples, just as your favourite photo editor.

And yes, using just a subset of the pixels will lead
to much worse quality.

Roland

DigitalCameraBasics

""And yes, using just a subset of the pixels will lead
to much worse quality.""

And this too, depends on the camera used and the compression it applies to
smaller pixel sizes.

Olympus cameras for instance, many times allow the user to use a "super high
quality" even on the small 640x480 images, resulting in lower compression
and much sharper smaller images for web use. Sony cameras use more
compression on their 640x480 size, resulting in lesser quality, etc etc.

"Roland Karlsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns93B66DC9710C2rolandkarlssonchello@130.133. 1.4...
> "Click" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:3f0fa686$0$20079$(E-Mail Removed) u:
>
> > Just curious. If for instance you have a camera that has 4 millions
> > pixels realize that all of these pixels will be used in capturing your
> > photo. But what happens when you opt to capture at a lower resolution?
> > Does the camera just use some of the pixels or does it use all of the
> > pixels & then resample downwards? Does this matter or would the end
> > results be the same?
> >

> The camera resamples, just as your favourite photo editor.
>
> And yes, using just a subset of the pixels will lead
> to much worse quality.
>

> Roland

Roland Karlsson

"DigitalCameraBasics" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bepusu$sms$(E-Mail Removed):

> ""And yes, using just a subset of the pixels will lead
> to much worse quality.""
>

> And this too, depends on the camera used and the compression it applies
> to smaller pixel sizes.
>
> Olympus cameras for instance, many times allow the user to use a "super
> high quality" even on the small 640x480 images, resulting in lower
> compression and much sharper smaller images for web use. Sony cameras
> use more compression on their 640x480 size, resulting in lesser quality,
> etc etc.

I don't think you understood what I wrote. I said that scaling down,
using nearest neighbour, leads to worse quality than scaling down,
using interpolation. And this was the answer to the original question.
No one else than you have been talking about compression.

Roland