Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Initial adjustments to RAW image file

Initial adjustments to RAW image file

Pena

"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:beoh5o$ltk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:38:36 +0300, in
> <ben3nt$rj9$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Pena" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> said:
>
> >I use slight Sharpening in C1 and in PS I resize in 2-3 steps down and

USM
> >slightly after every resize.
> >This gives me significant sharper pictures (screen) than resizing at once

> >a certain size and after that sharpen.

> I don't got to that much trouble, but I definitely prefer to sharpen
> before resizing. IMO, it results in a cleaner image than sharpening
> last.

Was to say before resizing ) and the final size too....

Bart van der Wolf

"John O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
SNIP
> The guy asks: what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
> you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.
>
> That is all he asks. The answer is "THERE ARE NONE!"

And since raw converters come with default settings, one might need to
switch OFF some to avoid generic adjustments, because all images are
different.

So the answer "there are none!" is cute, but wrong.
The amounts needed may be different for each image, but adjustments are
made. I assume you at least DO adjust the gamma so you can see the image
content a bit better, and you DO make a choice to output 8 or 16-bit files,
don't you?

Bart

Katie Piecrust

I decided to play around with Capture One's ability to sharpen (since I
really didn't give it much of a chance originally) and I have to say I'm
quite impressed. It's still easy to get haloing if your not careful, but to
me the results do look a tad better than Photoshop USM.

said:

>>I use slight Sharpening in C1 and in PS I resize in 2-3 steps down and
>>USM slightly after every resize.
>>This gives me significant sharper pictures (screen) than resizing at once
>>to a certain size and after that sharpen.

>I don't got to that much trouble, but I definitely prefer to sharpen
>before resizing. IMO, it results in a cleaner image than sharpening
>last.

John O.

> So the answer "there are none!" is cute, but wrong.
> The amounts needed may be different for each image, but adjustments are
> made. I assume you at least DO adjust the gamma so you can see the image
> content a bit better, and you DO make a choice to output 8 or 16-bit files,
> don't you?
>
> Bart

Glad you think I'm cute Bart. But I stand by what I said. There are no
adjustments you do to EVERY RAW image. No matter how you spin it, it
just ain't so.
John O.
There is no slack in light attack.

Lionel

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:12:58 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)> , John O.
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>Glad you think I'm cute Bart. But I stand by what I said. There are no
>adjustments you do to EVERY RAW image. No matter how you spin it, it
>just ain't so.

Mate, you're not every photographer on the planet. Just because that's
true for you, doesn't make it true for everyone else.

John O.

> Mate, you're not every photographer on the planet. Just because that's
> true for you, doesn't make it true for everyone else.

Seems to me that if I had to make the same correction to every image
every time, that I'd be able to take the necessary steps before I shoot
to solve the problem. IE: geez, every time I open an image, it's green
and under-exposed. Golly, guess I should set my WB and add a stop of
exposure. Should save me from needing to correct 50 images later.
--
John O.
There is no slack in light attack.

Lionel

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:42:03 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)> , John O.
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>Lionel,
> I think I said something like that earlier.... that you will not always
>have the "same" adjustments. Like you said..... up *or* down. Perhaps
>I misinterpreted the original post, but it seemed to me that he was
>looking for some kind of magic combination of corrections to apply to
>*every* image.

Well, I didn't read it that way. I read it as: "What things do you
usually adjust on all your shots?", which in my case is exposure
compensation. Judging by the other responses to his post, many other
people read it the same way I did.

> He even asked someone what to strive for when a levels
>adjustment was mentioned. Well, come on. We don't even know what kind
>of image problems we are talking about. I think you need to be a bit
>specific, not generalize on a topic like this. Actually.... an this is
>getting kind of convoluted.... I think we agree on this??!!

I think so.