Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Initial adjustments to RAW image file

Initial adjustments to RAW image file

Mark C

Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.

....the sharing of your expertise is most appreciated.

Wishing everyone an eventful weekend.....!!!

Mark
Nashville,TN

John O.

In article <bemvh1$75ad0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
> you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.
>
> ...the sharing of your expertise is most appreciated.
>
> Wishing everyone an eventful weekend.....!!!
>
> Mark
> Nashville,TN

I would dare say there isn't one.

--
John O.
There is no slack in light attack.

Mark C

Surely you start somewhere??? No?
"John O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> In article <bemvh1$75ad0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW

image
> > you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.
> >
> > ...the sharing of your expertise is most appreciated.
> >
> > Wishing everyone an eventful weekend.....!!!
> >
> > Mark
> > Nashville,TN
> >

> I would dare say there isn't one.
>
> --
> John O.
> There is no slack in light attack.

Tom Thackrey

On 11-Jul-2003, "Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
> you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.

Color temperature (White Balance) and Exposure Value

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com

Pena

"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bemvh1$75ad0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
> you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.
>
> ...the sharing of your expertise is most appreciated.
>
> Wishing everyone an eventful weekend.....!!!
>
> Mark
> Nashville,TN

Sharpening all shots and nothing else in 70% of the shots.
All corrections are best to do in RAW mode.
I convert RAWs to TIFFs and print'em using PS.

Ben
10D
i950
CaptureOneDSRL Le.

Tom Thackrey

On 11-Jul-2003, "Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Tom Thackrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ZGDPa.374$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> >
> > On 11-Jul-2003, "Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW

> image
> > > you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.

> > Color temperature (White Balance) and Exposure Value

> Thanx Tom.....so what do you strive for in those initial adjustments?

Not blowing out the whites with the EV and getting the overall color right
with the WB.

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com

Fanta

None. Actually I use mostly Picture Window Pro, not Photoshop, open the
RAW file and associate it with the device color profile. Then convert
the picture to Adobe RGB, then do all the editing I like.

Only exception is if I want to reduce the grain/noise with Neat Image:
in that case, I do it first thing on the RAW file.

> Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
> you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.
> [...]

John O.

In article <ben0ub$73q8p$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Surely you start somewhere??? No?

Of course you start somewhere. I just don't think it's as simple as
saying there are a set of things you do to every image. To say every
image needs WB adjusted for example. That is just silly. Or that every
image needs sharpened.... You will of course look at all of these
things. But ideally, my camera gets most of that the way I want it when
I pressed the shutter button. The less processing I've got to do, the
happier I am.

John O.
There is no slack in light attack.

David Eppstein

"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
> > you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.

If you count the Adobe Raw Conversion plugin as "before working on it in
photoshop", I almost always tweak the white balance, exposure and
contrast, saturation (sometimes up, sometimes down...), and noise
reduction (smoothing and moiré filter).

Then, in photoshop proper, I sometimes dodge and burn, use curves, clone
or use the healing brush, correct chromatic aberration or lens
distortions, apply more unsharp masking, or use more significant noise
reduction actions. But more often I just crop.

Pena

"Katie Piecrust" <NoSpam!> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 16-bit TIFF's. FWIW, I don't use the built in sharpening as I prefer to do
> this in Photoshop after resizing if needed (for printing). 98% of the time
> the file needs no further work at all once in Photoshop (other than the
> mentioned sharpening). This is what really sold me on Capture One. Haven't

I use slight Sharpening in C1 and in PS I resize in 2-3 steps down and USM
slightly after every resize.
This gives me significant sharper pictures (screen) than resizing at once to
a certain size and after that sharpen.

Ben