Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Minolta dimage s304

Minolta dimage s304

Yamxs850

I have a minolta dimage S304 I have returned it to the shop under
guarantee,interested to hear other peoples comments on this camera as I am not
particularly happy with it.
Bought new and returned next day as it wa eating batteries they exchanged it
for another. This one eating batteries (I keep the viewer switched off)
sometimes only get 30/40 pics on fine quality image before batteries pack in.
On holiday it stopped working for 2 days then just started working again.
Sharpness not good and this is using tripod and timer to ensure there is no
shake.I have a cheaper Kodak camera and this gives me better quality pics
Would like to hear your comments if you have one of these.
thanks
remove niljunk to send e-mail.

Jorge Alvarez

> I have a minolta dimage S304 I have returned it to the shop under
> guarantee,interested to hear other peoples comments on this camera as I am

not
> particularly happy with it.
> Bought new and returned next day as it wa eating batteries they exchanged

it
> for another. This one eating batteries (I keep the viewer switched off)
> sometimes only get 30/40 pics on fine quality image before batteries pack

in.

Are you using NiMH rechargeable batteries? Digicams eat alkalines for
breakfast.

Cheers,

-Jorge

John O.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)iljunk says...
> I have a minolta dimage S304 I have returned it to the shop under
> guarantee,interested to hear other peoples comments on this camera as I am not
> particularly happy with it.
> Bought new and returned next day as it wa eating batteries they exchanged it
> for another. This one eating batteries (I keep the viewer switched off)
> sometimes only get 30/40 pics on fine quality image before batteries pack in.
> On holiday it stopped working for 2 days then just started working again.
> Sharpness not good and this is using tripod and timer to ensure there is no
> shake.I have a cheaper Kodak camera and this gives me better quality pics
> Would like to hear your comments if you have one of these.
> thanks
> remove niljunk to send e-mail.

I've found minolta cameras that take AA cells to be a little more power
hungery than similar cameras from other makers. For the record, I get to
compare a lot of cameras and hear alot of feedback. I sell the silly
things.

--
John O.
There is no slack in light attack.

steve

I've had an S304 for a few months now and have a few observations:

Yes, it's seems power hungry, but perhaps only slightly more so than average
cameras. Your usage is much too high - are you using alkalines? I have
three sets of 1800 to 2000 mAh NiMH batteries and a fast charger (with car
cig lighter adapter). Then it becomes a little less of a problem.

The main grouse I have with the camera is the autofocus. It can be very
slow and can sometimes fail to get a focus lock at all. Very occasionally
it will indicate a focus lock and still produce and out of focus shot. Very
frustrating.

The manual focus control is not very user friendly. Every time the camera
goes to sleep and is re-awoken, the manual focus has moved off the previous
setting.

HOWEVER, the optics do seem to be pretty good (when it focuses accurately),
and I get very good photos from it. Also I got it at a pretty good price.
I'll be sticking with it for some time yet!
Regards
Steve
--
*** Note: Please remove both socks before replying ***

"Yamxs850" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a minolta dimage S304 I have returned it to the shop under
> guarantee,interested to hear other peoples comments on this camera as I am

not
> particularly happy with it.
> Bought new and returned next day as it wa eating batteries they exchanged

it
> for another. This one eating batteries (I keep the viewer switched off)
> sometimes only get 30/40 pics on fine quality image before batteries pack

in.
> On holiday it stopped working for 2 days then just started working again.
> Sharpness not good and this is using tripod and timer to ensure there is

no
> shake.I have a cheaper Kodak camera and this gives me better quality pics
> Would like to hear your comments if you have one of these.
> thanks
> remove niljunk to send e-mail.

Eddie Bromhead

Re:
> I've found minolta cameras that take AA cells to be a little more power
> hungery than similar cameras from other makers. For the record, I get to
> compare a lot of cameras and hear alot of feedback. I sell the silly
> things.
>
> --
> John O.
> There is no slack in light attack.

A lot of reviews made this comment. So much so that I bought 5 sets of 4
2000mAh rechargeables to complement my 7Hi. I've yet to need more than a
single reserve set.... Part of this is turning the camera off when you're
not using it.
I found from experience that to have different brands makes it easier to
keep them in sets. Secondly, Jessops (UK) own brand AAs are marginally
longer than other brands, and need a bit of forcing to go into the battery
magazine.
The chances of finding a set of rechargeable AA's in (say) 5 years time is
infinitely better than trying to find a replacement custom battery. In any
case, the custom batteries do get exhausted, and at least one spare is
advisable. Hve you worked out the cost of that?

Eddie B