Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > can a fisheye+photoshop replace a non-fisheye wide angle?

can a fisheye+photoshop replace a non-fisheye wide angle?

peter

A 15mm fisheye lens is much cheaper than a 14mm wide angle lens (non
fisheye).
(e.g. $400 versus $800 for Sigma EOS mount)
Since I can use photoshop (with a free plug-in) to correct the fisheye
distortion, could a 15mm fisheye be used instead of the 14mm wide angle
satisfactorily?

I'm thinking of using such lens with the EOS 10D to shoot interior of houses
for sale. The photo would be posted on web site or printed on flyers.

Paul Worden

I've done a bit of housing photography commercially and I'm not sure the
Fisheye is the best choice. There's a huge amount of distortion (naturally!)
and it wouldn't present the interior in it's best light.

You'll see a lot of 360 degree panoramas for that type of display and they
seem very effective to me. Photovista software has a '3D' plugin viewer and
will create 360s easily. There are several programs that do the same thing.

In fact I don't like 'plugins' and will never download them onto my PC. I
have an extreme dislike of web pages that take more than a few seconds to
load. If the message can't be presented quickly then I'm off to somewhere
that understands how to build a fast loading page.

Most rooms have one 'best' angle and prospective buyers need to see a bit of
sizzle - not the whole steak.

--
Paul Worden
remove NOSPAM from email address to reply

Paul Worden

Yeah...Sorry...There are Photoshop 'plugins' for correcting distortion and
web 'plugins' for displaying proprietary image formats.
.....good point about the pixels being stretched in correcting software -
although for a web page end-use I doubt if you'd see it (depending on how
many megapixels in the original image.

As they say "You can't beat the real thing." And that applies to lenses too
)

I found for housing work, a 24mm (35mm) was very useful. Minimal curvature
(well, it was a Nikon A lens!), but good coverage.

Paul W

David J. Littleboy

"David Eppstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I use this technique regularly myself. A couple architectural examples
> (since that's what the original poster asked about):
>
> <http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/pix/bbb/InterpCtr.html>

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeyow! That's lovely.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

peter

That's definitely satisfactory for my intended use!