Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Night Photos

Re: Night Photos

ralford

you have a digital so experimenting is easy. Simply reduce the exposure.
the camera is trying to make it look like daylight, so you have to correct
that by reducing the exposure with faster speed or smaller aperture. you
may be forced to read the manual to find out how to override the auto
settings.

good luck.

rma

"Sharon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Sony DSC S85 digital camera. I am not an experienced night
> photographer and have been having a hard time trying to take night or
> twilight photos. Can someone give me some pointers or point me towards a
> tutorial? We just had some new landscaping put in and some decorative
> lighting. In the evening it really looks pretty with the lighted palm
> trees reflecting off the pool surface and I have been trying to capture
> it on film. However the results have been very disappointing so far.
>
> Sharon

Kenwood

#1. Get a tripod

The rest is rudimentary. If you can go to manual mode an set for a long
exposure.
Experiment 2-20 seconds may be what you need depeneding on the sensitivity
of your camera. This will increas the noise in the picture than can be
easily
removed later with many different noise filters available for Photoshop.

"ralford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8jqPa.6941$(E-Mail Removed)...
> you have a digital so experimenting is easy. Simply reduce the exposure.
> the camera is trying to make it look like daylight, so you have to correct
> that by reducing the exposure with faster speed or smaller aperture. you
> may be forced to read the manual to find out how to override the auto
> settings.
>
> good luck.
>
> rma
>
> "Sharon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a Sony DSC S85 digital camera. I am not an experienced night
> > photographer and have been having a hard time trying to take night or
> > twilight photos. Can someone give me some pointers or point me towards a
> > tutorial? We just had some new landscaping put in and some decorative
> > lighting. In the evening it really looks pretty with the lighted palm
> > trees reflecting off the pool surface and I have been trying to capture
> > it on film. However the results have been very disappointing so far.
> >
> > Sharon

Sharon

Thanks for your reply. I do plan to get a tripod soon. However Im really
new at this and I do not know what a long exposure means. I have read
the manual but found I needed more help than that.

Sharon

On 7/10/03 8:48 PM, Kenwood wrote:
> #1. Get a tripod
>
> The rest is rudimentary. If you can go to manual mode an set for a long
> exposure.
> Experiment 2-20 seconds may be what you need depeneding on the sensitivity
> of your camera. This will increas the noise in the picture than can be
> easily
> removed later with many different noise filters available for Photoshop.
>

> "ralford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8jqPa.6941$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> you have a digital so experimenting is easy. Simply reduce the exposure.
>> the camera is trying to make it look like daylight, so you have to correct
>> that by reducing the exposure with faster speed or smaller aperture. you
>> may be forced to read the manual to find out how to override the auto
>> settings.
>>
>> good luck.
>>
>> rma
>>
>> "Sharon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I have a Sony DSC S85 digital camera. I am not an experienced night
>> > photographer and have been having a hard time trying to take night or
>> > twilight photos. Can someone give me some pointers or point me towards a
>> > tutorial? We just had some new landscaping put in and some decorative
>> > lighting. In the evening it really looks pretty with the lighted palm
>> > trees reflecting off the pool surface and I have been trying to capture
>> > it on film. However the results have been very disappointing so far.
>> >
>> > Sharon

Andrew

Sharon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Thanks for your reply. I do plan to get a tripod soon. However Im really
: new at this and I do not know what a long exposure means. I have read
: the manual but found I needed more help than that.

If you live near a community college that offers basic photography
classes, I suggest you take one. They are terrific at helping you
understand the fundamentals of taking good pictures.

"Long exposure" means the shutter on the camera that allows light into
the sensor is open for a long period. When it's dark, the shutter
must be open longer to get a correct exposure, because there's not
much light. If you do not have the camera steady on something like a
tripod, the results will look shakey.

I often take pictures with the shutter open for 2-15 seconds. I know
people who take 15 *minute* exposures (to get that misty feel of a
waterflow). Long exposures can give you awesome pictures.

As someone else said, try taking pictures at twilight. Dawn and dusk
are the best times of the day to take these kinds of shot; which is
best depends where you are shooting relative to the sun.

And yes, you must get a tripod or something equivalent (monopod) to
steady the camera.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----