Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP Pro

Re: Upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP Pro

Randall Ainsworth

If it works now, don't screw it up by going to XP.

JPS@no.komm

In message <100720032036147608%(E-Mail Removed)>,
Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If it works now, don't screw it up by going to XP.

I don't know of a single person in real life who regrets going from
Win9x to XP. The general consensus is that "everything just works now".
Only a few isolated, vocal people like yourself bitch about XP.

XP has never crashed on me once it was up (it has failed to boot with
the CPU speed overclocked too far), and almost everyone I know who uses
it has never seen the OS crash.

It recognized most older hardware and uses it without any user
intervention. I installed my copy of XP for up to 30 days without
activation on about a dozen different hardware configurations of spare
parts I have lying around, and only in a couple of cases has it needed a
driver to use a piece of hardware (always non-essential hardware).
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Randall Ainsworth

> I have two computers, side by side. One with Win98SE and this one with
> WinXP Home. WinXP has NEVER crashed in the 8 months it has been up, and
> it is up all the time 24/7. Win98SE crashes 1 to 5 times daily! The
> ONLY reason WinXP isn't on both computers is that HP claims the old one
> might not be compatible and I have old hardware, such as a scanner, that
> does not have XP drivers.

Let me sit at the Xp machine and I'll lock it up with two keystrokes.
Gimme the 98 one and I'll make it work right.

Abrasha

Randall Ainsworth wrote:

> > I have two computers, side by side. One with Win98SE and this one with
> > WinXP Home. WinXP has NEVER crashed in the 8 months it has been up, and
> > it is up all the time 24/7. Win98SE crashes 1 to 5 times daily! The
> > ONLY reason WinXP isn't on both computers is that HP claims the old one
> > might not be compatible and I have old hardware, such as a scanner, that
> > does not have XP drivers.

> Let me sit at the Xp machine and I'll lock it up with two keystrokes.
> Gimme the 98 one and I'll make it work right.

Which two keystrokes?
--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Tom Scales

Now that's just BS.

XP is vastly superior. It's not even close
"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:110720030911204943%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have two computers, side by side. One with Win98SE and this one with
> > WinXP Home. WinXP has NEVER crashed in the 8 months it has been up, and
> > it is up all the time 24/7. Win98SE crashes 1 to 5 times daily! The
> > ONLY reason WinXP isn't on both computers is that HP claims the old one
> > might not be compatible and I have old hardware, such as a scanner, that
> > does not have XP drivers.

> Let me sit at the Xp machine and I'll lock it up with two keystrokes.
> Gimme the 98 one and I'll make it work right.

JPS@no.komm

In message <110720030638361560%(E-Mail Removed)>,
Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've worked with XP every day since before it's public release. Beyond
>the putrid interface, it's nowhere near as stable as Win2K and is a
>resource hog. Makes me glad I'm a Mac guy for my personal equipment.

9 out of 10 people I've heard comment on win2k and XP, who have used
both, say XP is more stable. Your experience is abnormal.

The Win2k interface can be used, as an option in the interface itself.
You can also use *any* executable programs you want as your GUI shell,
and this is true of every version of Windows.

Xp doesn't use any significant amount of RAM over Win2k, if you turn off
the extra bells and whistles in the GUI. It doesn't "hog" any more
resources here than Win2k does on my other machine. My Xp machine has
typically 600 to 800 MB of available RAM, out of 1 GB, with uptimes of
weeks and many programs open.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

JPS@no.komm

In message <110720030909147393%(E-Mail Removed)>,
Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My personal stuff is Mac but I've worked with all versions of Windows
>daily for years...certified in Server & Workstation.

Certification grows on trees.

No matter how much training you get on something, if you have a
philosophical agenda against it, you may never learn to work _with_ it.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

JPS@no.komm

In message <110720030911204943%(E-Mail Removed)>,
Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I have two computers, side by side. One with Win98SE and this one with
>> WinXP Home. WinXP has NEVER crashed in the 8 months it has been up, and
>> it is up all the time 24/7. Win98SE crashes 1 to 5 times daily! The
>> ONLY reason WinXP isn't on both computers is that HP claims the old one
>> might not be compatible and I have old hardware, such as a scanner, that
>> does not have XP drivers.

>Let me sit at the Xp machine and I'll lock it up with two keystrokes.
>Gimme the 98 one and I'll make it work right.

This is what I meant by "philosophical agenda". Win98 can be crashed
just by writing one byte in low memory in "debug".
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Mark B.

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%gAPa.481$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...

> I have two computers, side by side. One with Win98SE and this one with
> WinXP Home. WinXP has NEVER crashed in the 8 months it has been up, and
> it is up all the time 24/7. Win98SE crashes 1 to 5 times daily! The
> ONLY reason WinXP isn't on both computers is that HP claims the old one
> might not be compatible and I have old hardware, such as a scanner, that
> does not have XP drivers.
>
> XP is vastly superior in EVERY way to Win98SE, period.

I'll second that. We upgraded to XP Pro in work several months ago. Prior
to that, I would crash several times a week. Same deal at home. I got a
new machine pre-loaded with XP Home a couple months ago, no more crashes. I
would NEVER go back to 98.

Mark

Randall Ainsworth

> 9 out of 10 people I've heard comment on win2k and XP, who have used
> both, say XP is more stable. Your experience is abnormal.

I've only worked with XP every day since before it was released to the
general public.