Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP Pro

Re: Upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP Pro

Randall Ainsworth

If I wanted it to look like 2K I'd install 2K.

Randall Ainsworth

> So which two keys is it, Mr. Blowhard?

If anybody would know anything about blowing, you'd be the one.

Randall Ainsworth

> BTW, the reason you find the WinXP 'ugly' is that is isn't a Mac, right?

I have no mindset against Windows. I've used it since version 1 (I
have the 5.25 disks right here). It's just too in-your-face...too
prone to lockups...compared to OS X it's just sad.

Ron Hunter

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
> There's nothing wrong with my technical skills.
> There are two computers I use at work. Both have had XP Pro on them.
> Nothing but problems and sluggishness. Wiped 'em both and put on 2K
> and the problems went away and they run noticeably faster.
>
> We get computers in all the time with XP...sell 'em with XP almost
> every day. It's been proven to me that XP is a bad joke. Better than
> ME, but that wouldn't take much.

Perhaps you can explain why your experience so vastly differs from the
general experience. Since XP Pro and Win2K are basically the same piece
of software (WinXP is WinNT 5.1 while Win2k is WinNT 5.0), it seems
unlikely that there is a negative impact to switching to WinXP. I
suspect that inadequate effort went into the install and setup.

Ron Hunter

Randall Ainsworth wrote:

>>So which two keys is it, Mr. Blowhard?

> If anybody would know anything about blowing, you'd be the one.

So where is the two key crash information. Not calling names here, just
asking for information.
Only I suspect that you DON'T HAVE IT.

CSM1

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ADLPa.8332$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com.. .
> Randall Ainsworth wrote:
>
> >>I have two computers, side by side. One with Win98SE and this one with
> >>WinXP Home. WinXP has NEVER crashed in the 8 months it has been up, and
> >>it is up all the time 24/7. Win98SE crashes 1 to 5 times daily! The
> >>ONLY reason WinXP isn't on both computers is that HP claims the old one
> >>might not be compatible and I have old hardware, such as a scanner, that
> >>does not have XP drivers.

> > Let me sit at the Xp machine and I'll lock it up with two keystrokes.
> > Gimme the 98 one and I'll make it work right.

> Interesting. Maybe you would share those two magic keystrokes....

In my case, it was click the "Print" button or sometimes just move the
mouse.

I have proof that XP is not stable. Just look at all of the Stop error
screens that I have gotten.
http://www.carlmcmillan.com/XP_Error/WindowsXPError.htm

At least, Windows 98SE did not come to a screaming halt when you got a
driver error.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Fender Lizard

>I have proof that XP is not stable. Just look at all of the Stop error
>screens that I have gotten.
>http://www.carlmcmillan.com/XP_Error/WindowsXPError.htm

You have proof only to you and your system which means you have something set
up wrong, NOT XP in general, most problems are caused by the user not the OS. I
have been using XP for 2 years with a multidude of programs, one scanner and
two printers and have yet to have a crash of any kind.
TG

Roger Halstead

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 03:38:38 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>In message <FKJPa.4147$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com>,
>"Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>No, they won't. Perhaps the problem is the lack of skills of the technicians
>>maintaining your environment, because XP IS more stable the Windows 2000.
>>Period.

That has been my experience here as I switched from 98 SE to ME, to
2000 Pro, to XP pro. All three computers use different versions of
MSI mother boards and hence different versions of the VIS chip set.
The 4th computer still runs 98SE with a different MB and rarely fails
while running 24 X 7. I don't remember who made the MB for that
computer. All run different video cards.

Almost all failures with the XP machines are due to either power line
noise/outtages, or program conflicts (I may have 5 or 6 up at the same
time)

>>Either can be unstable when not properly managed.

>Or with a poorly supported peripheral. It's very easy to get a

Don't forget chip sets as well.
I've mentioned I have three running XP Pro. All are MSI boards, but
each has a different chip set, or rather version of the chip set.

Even the version of the BIOS may make a big difference with the
specific hard ware.

This particular computer had an MSI MB with the via chip set along
with the All-in-wonder Radeon 8500 DV. I upgraded to a faster CPU and
next version of the MB. It actually came up with a failed video card
error. So I changed the video card. BTW, neither MB would run
"Camedia" to edit RAW photos from the E-20.

Lightening struck and I upgraded again. This time to the latest
version of the chip set and a 2.8 Gig Athlon XP +. I can now use the
"All-in-Wonder" video card again, but Camedia program still doesn't
work (either version). It works fine on the computer about three feet
to the right of this one with the same OS and an MSI MB.

OTOH, this one has two USB scanners...The HP 5470C and the HP S-20.
They coexist fine as long as I don't try to use both at the same time.

>distorted view of an operating system, when you work with 100 copies of
>the same computer, which all have the same video or sound card that has
>a bad driver, reproduced 100x in a house of mirrors. "We have 100
>computers here running XP, and they all crash once a day!"

As has already been mentioned, XP is really an updated NT Kernel and
is listed as NT-5 in the documentation. It was going to be released as
NT-5, but then a marketing decision changed it to XP.

There are several problems: Applications written that do not conform
to the programming standards set for XP. (Non standard DLLs),
modified DLLs, MS even violated their own rules with versions of
Visual Basic prior to version 5, or was it 5 and earlier. In any case
when creating stand alone versions of a program the compiler/linker
would create it's own DLLs which were based on what ever DLLs were in
the computer and gave them the current date. That meant they could
(and would) overwrite newer DLLs sometimes rendering the computer out
of order.

One well known and expensive drafting problem customized the DLLs.
This required a bit a computer knowledge and saving its own DLLs in
the programs directory while the standard DLLs were reinstalled in the
proper place.

XP has a much broader array of apps it will run than 2000. Hence the
likely hood of more conflicts.

XP also has the best plug and play so far, compared to the plug and
pray of earlier OSs. Although, 2000 is capable of PnP. You just have
to go in and specifically install it and installing it opens a whole
new can of worms. Once I installed the PnP on 2000 I had some
programs that would no longer work. Was it PnP in 2000, or a chip set
problem with PnP?

"To me" it seems that XP has more problems with chip sets, but overall
it is not a problem that is unique to XP.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Ron Hunter

CSM1 wrote:

> "Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ADLPa.8332$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com.. .

>>>Let me sit at the Xp machine and I'll lock it up with two keystrokes.
>>>Gimme the 98 one and I'll make it work right.

>>Interesting. Maybe you would share those two magic keystrokes....
>>

> In my case, it was click the "Print" button or sometimes just move the
> mouse.
>
> I have proof that XP is not stable. Just look at all of the Stop error
> screens that I have gotten.
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com/XP_Error/WindowsXPError.htm
>
> At least, Windows 98SE did not come to a screaming halt when you got a
> driver error.

No, just typing in a message can do it, though. If WinXP detects a
failing driver, it will disable the driver after the third boot attempt,
repairing itself. YOu have more problems (actually it all seems like
the same error) than Anyone else I have ever heard of. You trying to
run Mac drivers on it or something?

Abrasha

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Randall Ainsworth wrote:
>
> >>So which two keys is it, Mr. Blowhard?

> > If anybody would know anything about blowing, you'd be the one.

> So where is the two key crash information. Not calling names here, just
> asking for information.
> Only I suspect that you DON'T HAVE IT.

All he has is hot air. And the belief of a zealot that Windows XP sucks.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com