Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP Pro

Re: Upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP Pro

Matt

"DScheffold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few concerns.

I am
> running a P3 650MB with Intel processor. I have 512MB of RAM. Now the

sticky
> part. I have a Nikon 2000 Film Scanner and a Nikon Flatbed Scanner that

both
> operate off of an Adaptec SCSI controller. I had a difficult time

installing
> both scanners but they are now operating fine. I am concerned when I

install
> the upgrade that the SCSI devices will not operate. Has anyone upgraded

with
> similar conditions?
>
> Thanks,
> Don

Only upgrade if your motherboard and devices connected to it will have
drivers for XP. Otherwise you will be sitting in cold water after the
upgrade.

Matt

Alan Rutlidge

> "DScheffold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few

concerns.
> I am
> > running a P3 650MB with Intel processor. I have 512MB of RAM. Now the

> sticky
> > part. I have a Nikon 2000 Film Scanner and a Nikon Flatbed Scanner that

> both
> > operate off of an Adaptec SCSI controller. I had a difficult time

> installing
> > both scanners but they are now operating fine. I am concerned when I

> install
> > the upgrade that the SCSI devices will not operate. Has anyone upgraded

> with
> > similar conditions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Don

> Only upgrade if your motherboard and devices connected to it will have
> drivers for XP. Otherwise you will be sitting in cold water after the
> upgrade.
>
> Matt

I had a similar problem with upgrading from Win98SE to XP using a Canoscan
600 flatbed that operated via an Adaptec SCSI card.
I could get a driver for the Adaptec card to work okay under XP and
downloaded the Twain driver for the scanner from the Canon site which
claimed it was for 2000 / XP (XP said it wasn't a XP verified driver - but
that is commonplace).
After install and a bit of stuffing around XP would recognise the SCSI card
and the Twain driver but the Canon ScanCraft program would not operate under
XP even with all the updates and patches installed.

In the end I resinstalled Win98SE on the PC, installed a network card, built
a new kick-arse Pentium 4 PC with all the fruit, installed XP Pro on it and
networked the two machines. In reality it was the most economical solution
considering the initial cost of the scanner and the film adapter unit I had
purchased for it.

This problem of no updated drivers, incompatible programs and hardware that
becomes obsolete witin months of reaching the marketplace is indemic in the
IT world. Sometimes I often question the real value of buying upmarket high
priced peripherals unless you are going to work the arse off them in a very
short space of time so you actually get value for money.

My 2c worth.

Cheers,
Alan

Matt

"Alan Rutlidge" <rutlidge*nO-sPaM*@mail.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
news:3f0e2773$0$23102$(E-Mail Removed). au...
> This problem of no updated drivers, incompatible programs and hardware

that
> becomes obsolete witin months of reaching the marketplace is indemic in

the
> IT world. Sometimes I often question the real value of buying upmarket

high
> priced peripherals unless you are going to work the arse off them in a

very
> short space of time so you actually get value for money.
>
> My 2c worth.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

I believe you nailed the lid on the coffin. Right on. Peripherals don't last
that long however if I could make one final statement. If you have been
using the peripherals ever since NT4 came out then you might have a better
chance of getting them to work under XP than 9X. I said "might"... : )

Matt