Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Please advise on shooting "floppy" dolls

Re: Please advise on shooting "floppy" dolls

ConTactMe

Thank you Paul Worden and Gregory W. Blank for the great advice. I
actually have a large coffee table (with a too small base, but I will
use it anyway). I'll try this with future pictures. I still am unsure
about how to deal with the floppiness of certain stuffed animals.
Perhaps I will combine the suggestions.

Thanks once again!

"Paul Worden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iKqNa.2586$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >If you want to lay the dolls down try laying them on glass and putting

your
> backdrop
> >far enough below to illuminate it and get rid of the shadows.

> This is a standard commercial technique. Leave at least one foot clear
> behind the glass. Use top lights at 45 degrees to throw the shadows away
> from the backdrop. You can use a bit of front fill, but keep the intensity
> down so the front light shadow doesn't show.
>
> Another technique is to use a light tent - the light is so diffused that
> there is no shadow. Make your own with drafting film and shoot through a
> hole in the top. Put floods all around the outside.
>
> Similarly, a white umbrella can act as a huge reflector - direct a

spotlight
> back into it with the open umbrella facing the doll. The diffused light
> won't create much if any shadows.
>
> If you want to cut the image, use a black or strongly coloured backdrop.
> This makes it easier to select it out in Photoshop.
>
> --
> Paul Worden
> remove NOSPAM from email address to reply

Paul Worden

Deal with the floppiness with double sided tape and crumpled aluminium foil
(not together...) to position the dolls as you want them.