Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Digital Camera and Telescope

Re: Digital Camera and Telescope

Anita Evans

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
writes
>I'm new to trying to take photos through my telescope. I decided to try
>it tonight and get some shots of the moon. I can't get everything to
>focus, and wondered if someone could give me some guidance.

I've only tried this through binoculars, and was advised to take the
photo when the moon is visible in the daytime. At night the contrast
between the bright moon and the dark sky is tricky. I certainly got
better results this way. I don't know if its the same with a telescope,
which of course gives you much better magnification.
--
Anita Evans
(anita[at]ra.evans.clara.co.uk to reply by e-mail)

Cliff

You don't say what camera or how it attaches to the telescope. I had pretty
good results with my Nikon 4500 shooting through the eyepiece. My autofocus
seemed to work OK but make sure you are on wide angle. I always focused the
telescope first then let the camera do its own focusing. I also used the
self-timer to give the camera time to settle down after pushing the shutter
button. If you are trying to handhold at the eypepiece you will have to use
a low power ep since you won't be able to hold the camera steady enough
otherwise.

There are some good sites on the web that go into some detail on all of
this. Just do a search on "digital camera and telescope" or try d"igital
astrophotography".

Good luck.

Cliff

"Anita Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b3PYYZCfleD$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> writes
> >I'm new to trying to take photos through my telescope. I decided to try
> >it tonight and get some shots of the moon. I can't get everything to
> >focus, and wondered if someone could give me some guidance.
> >

> I've only tried this through binoculars, and was advised to take the
> photo when the moon is visible in the daytime. At night the contrast
> between the bright moon and the dark sky is tricky. I certainly got
> better results this way. I don't know if its the same with a telescope,
> which of course gives you much better magnification.
> --
> Anita Evans
> (anita[at]ra.evans.clara.co.uk to reply by e-mail)

ralford

probably off topic - however, I ran your suggested search and up popped this
site:

http://www.scopetronix.com/planetgall.htm

which, I frankly think has some fantastic images!

thanks for the tip,

rma

"Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:W0BPa.19061$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> You don't say what camera or how it attaches to the telescope. I had

pretty
> good results with my Nikon 4500 shooting through the eyepiece. My

autofocus
> seemed to work OK but make sure you are on wide angle. I always focused

the
> telescope first then let the camera do its own focusing. I also used the
> self-timer to give the camera time to settle down after pushing the

shutter
> button. If you are trying to handhold at the eypepiece you will have to

use
> a low power ep since you won't be able to hold the camera steady enough
> otherwise.
>
> There are some good sites on the web that go into some detail on all of
> this. Just do a search on "digital camera and telescope" or try d"igital
> astrophotography".
>
> Good luck.
>
> Cliff

John O.

In article <W0BPa.19061$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> You don't say what camera or how it attaches to the telescope. I had pretty
> good results with my Nikon 4500 shooting through the eyepiece. My autofocus
> seemed to work OK but make sure you are on wide angle. I always focused the
> telescope first then let the camera do its own focusing. I also used the
> self-timer to give the camera time to settle down after pushing the shutter
> button. If you are trying to handhold at the eypepiece you will have to use
> a low power ep since you won't be able to hold the camera steady enough
> otherwise.
>
> There are some good sites on the web that go into some detail on all of
> this. Just do a search on "digital camera and telescope" or try d"igital
> astrophotography".
>
> Good luck.

Cliff, if you read his post, you will see that he said he has a D100.
--
John O.
There is no slack in light attack.