Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I got my new digital camera today

I got my new digital camera today

Jack White

Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > It does show more detail, but I think to show the 6.75mhz circle as it
> > really is, you'd really need to use a pro 35mm camera because I just
> > don't think any digital camera is good enough to do this job.
> >

> Did I miss something? Why do you insist on testing the resolution of
> your camera by taking pictures of your TV? Is that what you bought a
> digital camera for?

These kinds of pics of test patterns probably aren't even 1/10th of 1%
of the pics I take with my digital camera.
It's just that this is one of the toughest tests for any digital
camera or camcorder so that's one of the reasons why I used it.

> --
> ________________________________
> Todd Walker
> http://twalker.d2g.com
> Olympus E20
> Canon G2
> My Digital Photography Weblog:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
> _________________________________

Jack White

"Rolly The Pervert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bekloj$ebi$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> "Dave Martindale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bekl2m$nf2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> > >Did I miss something? Why do you insist on testing the resolution of
> > >your camera by taking pictures of your TV? Is that what you bought a
> > >digital camera for?

> > No, he's testing TVs, and wants to show the results of his TV tests.
> > So he photographs the visual appearance of the test pattern on the TV
> > screen. Unfortunately, his previous camera was *worse* than the TVs
> > he's trying to test.
> >
> > Dave

> Still off topic here. ( alt.dbs.echostar )
>
> I miss ubc

Have you been reading alt.dbs.echostar for long?
They talk about Video Essentials, The Avia Disc, Sound & Vision Home
Theater Tune-Up, ISF calibration, etc so often over there that you
could change the name of that newsgroup to alt.tv-monitor.calibration.
Everytime sombody says how much the picture quality on Echostar sucks,
a bunch of people reply by saying stuff like "you need to turn the
sharpness all the way down on your tv", "you need to hook up your
reciever using S-Video or Component cables", "you need to buy Video
Essentials to calibrate your tv properly", etc, etc.

Jim Polaski

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Jack White) wrote:

> Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > It does show more detail, but I think to show the 6.75mhz circle as it
> > > really is, you'd really need to use a pro 35mm camera because I just
> > > don't think any digital camera is good enough to do this job.
> > >

> > Did I miss something? Why do you insist on testing the resolution of
> > your camera by taking pictures of your TV? Is that what you bought a
> > digital camera for?
> >

> These kinds of pics of test patterns probably aren't even 1/10th of 1%
> of the pics I take with my digital camera.
> It's just that this is one of the toughest tests for any digital
> camera or camcorder so that's one of the reasons why I used it.

I hate to pop your bubble, but a test pattern on a TV is NOT a difficult
test for any camera. TV tubes by their very nature are not linear. If
you had done an LCD screen I might be more generous.

That said, the real way it is done is to use test charts, not patterns
on tv tubes. I'mn sure you've seen these charts in tests over the years
in the various photo magazines.

Back to the digital drawing board.

Did I forget to mention that your test tells NOTHING of how good/bad or
whatever your chip renders color and skin tone, btw.

--
Regards,
JP

Macintosh for productivity. Linux for servers. Palm/Visor for mobility. Windows to feed the Black Hole in your IT budget

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> It's just that this is one of the toughest tests for any digital
> camera or camcorder so that's one of the reasons why I used it.

No it isn't. How can you suggest that to be the case when the resolution
of even the cheapest digital camera is many times that of the
television? Beyond that, there are so many variables that determine how
the picture is going to come out, there is no way this can be any kind
of test at all.

If you want to take pictures of resolution charts and truly find out
what the camera is capable of, you need to get yourself a PIMA/ISO 12233
resolution test chart and take pictures of it:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Glossa...olution_01.htm

--
________________________________
Todd Walker
http://twalker.d2g.com
Olympus E20
Canon G2
My Digital Photography Weblog:
http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
_________________________________

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you want to take pictures of resolution charts and truly find out
>what the camera is capable of,

Is it my imagination, or was he testing the TVs and not the camera? I
think he made it pretty clear that he was testing the TVs.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Gavin Cato

What camera did you get?

I gurantee you my Nikon D100 or D1h with my 60mm/2.8 would be able to do it.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

http://www.fujifilm.com.sg/storage/p...fc6f/TEST1.jpg

http://www.fujifilm.com.sg/storage/p...fc6f/TEST2.jpg

http://www.fujifilm.com.sg/storage/p...fc6f/TEST3.jpg

http://www.fujifilm.com.sg/storage/p...fc6f/TEST4.jpg

http://www.fujifilm.com.sg/storage/p...fc6f/TEST5.jpg

http://www.fujifilm.com.sg/storage/p...fc6f/TEST6.jpg

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...jul02_pg1.html

Jim Polaski

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Jack White) wrote:

> Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > It does show more detail, but I think to show the 6.75mhz circle as it
> > > really is, you'd really need to use a pro 35mm camera because I just
> > > don't think any digital camera is good enough to do this job.
> > >

> > Did I miss something? Why do you insist on testing the resolution of
> > your camera by taking pictures of your TV? Is that what you bought a
> > digital camera for?
> >

> These kinds of pics of test patterns probably aren't even 1/10th of 1%
> of the pics I take with my digital camera.
> It's just that this is one of the toughest tests for any digital
> camera or camcorder so that's one of the reasons why I used it.

I forgot to say what you really need is a PIMA/ISO 12233 standard
resolution test chart, NOT a TV tube!

--

(E-Mail Removed) (Jack White) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Paul Heslop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Jack White wrote:
> > >

> > You don't have permission to access
> > /storage/photos/gigantor/HOME/9bab3719a4c788b25cc39d8b9f53fc6f/TEST2.jpg
> > on this server.

> You have to copy and paste the url into your url bar to defeat the
> anti-hotlinking measures.
> You copy and paste by holding the right button on your mouse and
> dragging the cursor over the url till the whole url is highlighted.
> After the url is highlighted, you hit control Cntrl and C to copy the
> url.
> Then you to to the url bar at the top of your browser, and delete
> everything from your url bar so that it's empty.

Man, I can't believe I wrote this, you have to use the LEFT button on
the mouse NOT the right button. I was half asleep when I wrote that
post and that's why it's wrong.
> Then you paste the url into the url bar by pressing Cntrl and V.
> Then you just hit Enter on your keyboard and you should be able to see
> the pic.

Jim

Sounds like you are the one who has not been here. This has nothing to do
with dishnetwork

"Gavin Cato" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3f0e3a71$0$59958$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> What camera did you get?
>
> I gurantee you my Nikon D100 or D1h with my 60mm/2.8 would be able to do it.

Well, again it's not a camera I'd mention outlound unless asked about.
My new camera is a Samsung Digimax 201.
Photography is not really my thing or my hobby, it's just that these
days a digital camera is not really a luxury, it's something you need.
I really don't know that much about cameras but you're the expert so
you probably know what you're talking about when it comes to your
cameras.