Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What is the largest compactflash card I can use with my Canon Powershot S45?

What is the largest compactflash card I can use with my Canon Powershot S45?

Brian Evans

In the Powershot S45 manual, it displays various size memory cards
stats, and how many images they can hold, etc., but the max
compactflash size shown is 256mb. I don't think there would be any
problems with larger cards such as 512mb and 1gb, but I don't want to
buy one if anyone has had any problems with these larger sizes. Any
experience with cf cards larger than 256mb? Thanks!

photon

All CF card sizes should work, as long as they are not larger than 2 GBytes.
Larger than that (some have been announced but I don't know about actual
availability), FAT32 support is required to use the extra space. FAT32 is
only supported by the latest DSLR cameras AFAIK.

Chris Gunn

On 10 Jul 2003 11:45:17 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Brian Evans) wrote:

>In the Powershot S45 manual, it displays various size memory cards
>stats, and how many images they can hold, etc., but the max
>compactflash size shown is 256mb. I don't think there would be any
>problems with larger cards such as 512mb and 1gb, but I don't want to
>buy one if anyone has had any problems with these larger sizes. Any
>experience with cf cards larger than 256mb? Thanks!

Should be fine to 2gb

Gunn

602z

Jim Polaski

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) (Brian Evans) wrote:

> In the Powershot S45 manual, it displays various size memory cards
> stats, and how many images they can hold, etc., but the max
> compactflash size shown is 256mb. I don't think there would be any
> problems with larger cards such as 512mb and 1gb, but I don't want to
> buy one if anyone has had any problems with these larger sizes. Any
> experience with cf cards larger than 256mb? Thanks!

Because a smaller card works is not a guarantee that a larger one will.
For example, the Oly 2500L was supposed to only see up to a 256.

Fuji S2's are picky. They love microdrives, but not all CF cards. I know
SimpleTech's won't work in the S2. Fuji advises you test one before
buying.

This said, I'm sure a call to Canon would get you an answer.

--
Regards,
JP

Macintosh for productivity. Linux for servers. Palm/Visor for mobility. Windows to feed the Black Hole in your IT budget