Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: If anyone has some spare time for a website check ...

Re: If anyone has some spare time for a website check ...

Ron Hunter

Michael Stevens wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:11:46 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Hey, feel free to ignore the advice, but consider that you DID ask, and
>>we DID answer. Reminds me of my wife who asks me a question, then
>>argues with my answer. Sigh.

> Yes, I did ask but did not get much "constructive" criticism. Most
> everyone wants the Flash gone (not gonna happen) and many of
> responders didn't even bother to view the site, yourself apparently
> included. If someone refuses to even look at it I don't see how I can
> give their "criticism" any value.
>
> I know I'll wind up toning it down some but making a static page is,
> to me anyway, senseless when we can do so much more with the web.

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

No, I did NOT view the site as I don't have flash on my browser. That
pretty much renders the site unviewable, now doesn't it?
It appears you consider the web to be for passing time, and
entertainment. Not what I am about.

ralford

Isn't there is some advice about mud wrestling and pigs?

cheers,

rma

news:9%ePa.24195$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com. ..

News==----
> > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000

Newsgroups
> > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---

> No, I did NOT view the site as I don't have flash on my browser. That
> pretty much renders the site unviewable, now doesn't it?
> It appears you consider the web to be for passing time, and
> entertainment. Not what I am about.

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Michael Stevens
<bigmikeatbigmikesdotorg> says...
> If that's not what you are about I'm fine with that. To me that's what
> the web is about: entertainment. Probably 7 out of 10 times I get
> online it's for some type of mindless entertainment.

Ah, that makes much more sense then. It goes a long way to explain why
you designed the page in the way that you did. If the internet is
entertainment for you, that's fine. But you need to understand that for
most people, it's about information. If they go to your site looking for
information and get entertainment, you'll lose them very quickly. You
need to decide if you are writing the page for yourself or for your
potential customers. If you are doing it for yourself, then Flash it up
all you want. You can reload it and admire your handy work as often as
you want. If however you are doing it for others, you need to realize
why they are coming there in the first place and it's not to see your
Flash skills in action. It's to see your photos. If the Flash gets in
the way of their purpose for being there, then it is a badly designed
site.

It's kinda like being a radio DJ. You can play SOME of the music you
like but most of it needs to be what your audience likes so you can keep
them tuned into your station. Keep your favorite music for listening to
on your own time

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Michael Stevens

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:48:22 GMT, Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>... It's to see your photos. If the Flash gets in
>the way of their purpose for being there, then it is a badly designed
>site.

And that's what I'm working on. Some type of compromise that will show
my photos in an entertaining or impressive way without being too
cumbersome. Apparently, I'm not there yet.